How did you CAGs calibrate your new HDTV?

Link127

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
To all CAGers who have HDTVs. -- how did you go about calibrating your new set? When you first open it out of the box the picture quality is automatically set to "torch" mode, which certainly does not give the best picture. It actually gives a terrible picture. I am having trouble playing games such as Halo 2 and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2. The picture is too dark and I can't make out anything. Any advice?

Most importantly, can everyone let me know how they calibrated their set? I know the best option is also the most expensive -- professional calibration. I don't have the money (what CAG does?) to do that as it costs 200-300 minimum (spent it all on the set, must save the rest). Another option is a calibration DVD, but DVD's are of course an NTSC standard -- so that doesn't give the best for HD gaming. By using one, you're not calibrating based on an HD picure onscreen. A third option is a D-VHS tape, but I don't have a D-VHS VCR. They're around $1000.

Please help! :eek:

AVS Forum should have plenty advice for you. I would definately recommend the Avia Home Theatre DVD.. For starters you can use the THX setup that comes on some DVD movies. Keep your contrast at or below 50 (50% if not 1-100) that will help prevent burn-in (w/ RPTV). I have a Hitachi 51s715 and Halo 2 looks awesome on it.

if your tv got burn-in how would you go about fixing the problem. would it go away on its own?
replace or repair the screen? just curious because im in the market of buying a new tv.

[quote name='xenoman80']if your tv got burn-in how would you go about fixing the problem. would it go away on its own?
replace or repair the screen? just curious because im in the market of buying a new tv.[/quote]

There is no way to "fix" burn-in, only ways to prevent it. The main ways of preventing are reducing contrast to below 50% and stretching non-HD programming so that it fills the screen. Burn-in isn't quite the correct terminology, as your whole tv burns in over time. What you are trying to prevent is part of the screen not burning in at the same rate (i.e. black bars, channel logos, etc) With excessive contrast or brightness, the screen around a still image will burn-in faster. Hence the reason why some people have a permanent "shadow" of CNN burned on the bottom corner of the screen. You also want to avoid long sessions of gaming, as there are usually stagnant images on the screen.

I have a 46" DLP Samsung if that helps. Because its DLP I dont have to worry about burn-in at least.

I don't believe you are immune to burn-in with a DLP, just not as easy. Read up on it in the AVS forum link that I posted above.

bread's done
Back