How do game shares work?

funtownarcade

CAGiversary!
Can't seem to find concrete steps. People on gamefaqs are talking about sharing Tekken, or trading for Blast Factor, etc.,

A persons downloads are tied to their username. So if you access your account from another PS3 you still have access to the downloads.

5 downloads per game I think though.

You are allowed to download a game 5 times. So, what you could do is buy a game, give your account and pass to someone else, and have them log on to their ps3 using that account and download it for free. You could do it up to 5 times and only pay once.

If you dont want to share your acct, you could create a temporary guest account and do it.

[quote name='dpatel']You are allowed to download a game 5 times. So, what you could do is buy a game, give your account and pass to someone else, and have them log on to their ps3 using that account and download it for free. You could do it up to 5 times and only pay once.

If you dont want to share your acct, you could create a temporary guest account and do it.[/quote]

awesome, so my question here is why aren't cags splitting the cost of these games if its so easy to share between systems?

I'm sure people do it. If you wanted to, you could probably create a topic and find someone. Even some of the more expensive games seem like a steal split 5 ways.

[quote name='imascrub']-edited-
nevermind i misunderstood the concept lol[/quote]

Once it's downloaded, it's for everyone.

a user on gamefaqs posted this. Its the step process for sharing

For the "sender":

1. Purchase and download a game from the Playstation Store

2. Go to account management for the account and delete the billing
information from your personal information if the PS3 saved your credit
card info

3. Change your password temporarily for the share

4. Give login info (email address and password) to the receiver

5. When the share is completed, change the password

For the "receiver":

1. In the PS3 XMB menu, add a new user account on your PS3 and sign in to it

2. Select the network on the XMB and create an existing Playstation Network account

3. Use the login information given from the "sender" to create the existing account

4. Login into the account

5. Enter into the Playstation store

6. Click on "Download List" on the upper right near the person's userID
and select the game you wish to download and hit download

7. After game is downloaded, notify the "sender" that the download is complete so they can change the password to the account

8. Enjoy!

Hook a brother up. I want to get some Tekken or flow up in. Someone let me know if they will let me download from their account for a fee or if you're feeling generous, for free. :)

It's very interesting that Sony allows this to happen, since I would think any company would rather have 5 sales then 1.
I don't own a PS3 but I am curious about this. If you did share your account, and let 4 other people download the game, and your PS3 broke and had to be replaced would you be able to download it again or would you be screwed?

[quote name='amicus']if you do this DO NOT delete the user account u created to d/l the games.

it disables the games.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I was about to, and then I thought this might be a problem.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's very interesting that Sony allows this to happen, since I would think any company would rather have 5 sales then 1.
I don't own a PS3 but I am curious about this. If you did share your account, and let 4 other people download the game, and your PS3 broke and had to be replaced would you be able to download it again or would you be screwed?[/QUOTE]

You would probably be screwed. The 5 downloads is there for that reason only. It's supposed to help you recover purchased items if you lose your data. I'm sure you could contact Sony about it, but if they can tell that you have downloaded the file onto 5 different PS3s, chances are, they won't help you.

I would imagine it would suck to be a PSN developer, because your games sold could possibly five times higher than the number you are actually getting.

[quote name='snack']I would imagine it would suck to be a PSN developer, because your games sold could possibly five times higher than the number you are actually getting.[/QUOTE]

Yea. There needs to be a better way of having your downloads guaranteed, rather than just allowing 5 downloads per account.

[quote name='dpatel']Yea. There needs to be a better way of having your downloads guaranteed, rather than just allowing 5 downloads per account.[/quote]

If there is a better suggestion I'd like to hear it.

I really couldn't tell you. Anyone know how the wii/360 guarantees them? From what I understand, Wii doesn't allow redownloads, which means you are basically screwed. And the 360 you have to contact MS about redownloading, and they give you a silver account which you sign into and redownload. If true, MSs sounds the best. It's a pain to redownload when you have to, but it would definitely cut down on 'sharing' and, chances are, most people don't need to redownload lost files anyway.

bread's done
Back