How do I buy stock in Nintendo?

[quote name='Zen Davis']What is NTDOF?[/quote]Old NCL stock code?

I don't think NTDOY is traded domestically, so I guess you'd have to figure out what brokers deal in international trades.

So I couldn't just use Etrade to buy stock? By the way, I have never traded stocks before so I'm completely new to this.

Don't just buy the stock of a company that makes a product you like, buy a stock that will make you money, like Google or Microsoft (or if you want to sell your sould to the devil, Exxon Mobile).

I believe Nintendo will make money and I believe their prices will go up at their E3 press conference on July 11th.

How can I buy stock?

Nintendo of America Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Co., Ltd., which is located in Kyoto, Japan. Although ordinary Nintendo stock shares are traded only through the Tokyo and Osaka stock exchanges, un sponsored American Depository Receipts (ADRs) are available on the over-the-counter market. For more information, please contact a local stock brokerage firm.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/faq.jsp#stock

BTW - I saw that Ninty is looking for C++ devs. I thought Java was better for prog videogames?

You could open an account with sharebuilder or scottrade- Nintendo would be listed as NTDOY- but I think most brokers online or off have a minimum (scottrade is $500).
The stock has tripled in the past year, it is as hot as google or apple. Would have made a killing buying at the end of 05.
Thought the pe isn't outrageous (at 32) it is still higher than ms or sony (at 20).

[quote name='camoor']
BTW - I saw that Ninty is looking for C++ devs. I thought Java was better for prog videogames?[/quote]

:lol:

Java? Games? ahahaha, that's rich.

Believe it or not, most higher end games are built on their own engines, in which the core is written in C/C++. Usually a scripting language (such as unreal script) is thrown on the top to make API calls friendly. Under the hood, it's still pure C/C++.

I would never use Java to write any kind of serious game. The performance would be terrible.

I currently work as a game developer and we use a dedicated engine, similar to what I've described above.

A quick google search shows that the Nintendo ADR trades Over-The-Counter. Do most online brokerages give you access to OTCBB securities?

They're close to their 52 week high right now and that p/e ratio is way to high for me. But hey, it's your money right? Do what you want with it.

What is ADR?

[quote name='camoor']BTW - I saw that Ninty is looking for C++ devs. I thought Java was better for prog videogames?[/B][/QUOTE]
Haha, you clearly know nothing about programming languages. Quit frontin'. ;)

[quote name='mtxbass1']Java? Games? ahahaha, that's rich.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Only on cell phones.

[quote name='cletus']What is ADR?[/QUOTE]
Gee, I dunno...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

Indeed. Only on cell phones.
[/quote]

I will give it to them there, J2ME is quite nice in that regard. You can do some fun stuff with 64kb to work with. ;)

I bought 2500$ worth of Nintendo stocks last year right before the Wii unveiling using the extra student loans I had. I ran out of money a couple of months later and had to sell the stocks, losing around 50$ in the transaction. A year later, the stocks are tripled...it sucks being poor.

[quote name='afedock']A year later, the stocks are tripled...it sucks being poor.[/QUOTE]

Indeed! Welcome to the perpetual cycle of the working class. At least we have beer!!

ft3eygk.gif

[quote name='Pookymeister']Assuming thats sarcasm, you should note that the stock split in 2003 in a 2 for 1 deal. so 1 share of that $28 stock is now 2 shares of 29.6[/quote]

ownd

[quote name='Quackzilla']Don't just buy the stock of a company that makes a product you like, buy a stock that will make you money, like Google or Microsoft (or if you want to sell your sould to the devil, Exxon Mobile).[/quote]

Yeah but this guy in the eighties and the nineties sorta did just that. he bought some stock in companies that made products that he liked (and noticed a few other people that liked it to).

His name is Warren Buffet. I think (before he recent donations) he was the second richest person in the world. Of course there is Bill Gates but he already made all the money microsoft will ever make. . .

[quote name='mtxbass1']:lol:

Java? Games? ahahaha, that's rich.

Believe it or not, most higher end games are built on their own engines, in which the core is written in C/C++. Usually a scripting language (such as unreal script) is thrown on the top to make API calls friendly. Under the hood, it's still pure C/C++.

I would never use Java to write any kind of serious game. The performance would be terrible.

I currently work as a game developer and we use a dedicated engine, similar to what I've described above.[/quote]

Thx for the explanation - that makes sense (I suppose thats why they call them "game engines") .

bread's done
Back