How Do I Help My Sister Get Into Gaming for the First Time

samaside

CAGiversary!
So, my little sister has decided that she finally wants to start gaming. This is a big moment for me because I've tried to get my sisters into gaming for a while now. They've got my old Wii at home and they played around with that a fair amount but they never had anything for it beyond the latest Just Dance and a few Mario games. And both of my sisters grew up with a GBA SP and DS - though they mostly just played the Sims and Nintendogs. The oldest of the two actually wants to get a more dedicated, traditional gaming console now and play more serious games. For whatever reason she desperately wants to play GTAV. She's not going to put a lot of money into it because she's not quite sure she's going to actually like it. She's a nineteen year old college sophomore, sorority girl, former cheerleader, and pretty much a lifelong pseudo-geek. I've gotten her to accept some of her nerdier qualities in other ways but gaming is something new.

I've recommended she just get a basic used console and probably just from GameStop. The first round of 360s (which is the same type I have) are $99, the remodeled ones are like $120, and a PS3 slim is $150. She can check Craigslist, too, but she lives in a small college town so pickings will be, well, slim. She can't go out on Black Friday because she's going to be visiting family friends and I won't be going out for health reasons so that's probably not an option. What matters, though, is that she's getting one.

But I'm honestly at a loss as to what to recommend she actually get as a console or for games.

I have both consoles and I hoard games like the best of us CAGs. I'd send her any and all of the games I have to play through but I don't want to overwhelm her or be too overbearing. So I was wondering whether you guys would recommend she get a 360 or a PS3 and what like ten games she just absolutely has to play that will help her figure out what kind of games she likes and what kind of gamer she's going to be - if she turns out to be a gamer at all.

She has a computer? Direct her to this anime visual novel called "Saya no Uta" over at erogedownloads (link omitted) and tell her that it's to prepare for Halloween. Oh, and that all games are like that, especially Nintendo games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it would be best for your sister to start things off with a GameFly subscription. That way, she can try out a lot of different games without having to worry about spending too much money.

As for what console to get, it really depends on what exclusives she's most interested in. The PS3 has a stronger selection of Japanese RPGs, and certain multiplatform games run better on one console than the other; there's probably other specific factors to consider, but those are the two that sprung to mind.

ETA: As for the "serious" games thing, there's plenty of really great DS games out there, which should definitely be an option since it sounds like she already has that system. In particular, there's some excellent hardcore dungeon crawlers (the Etrian Odyssey series in particular) and visual novels (the Ace Attorney series, Hotel Dusk, etc.) for the DS. M-rated games are in short supply, but there are some of those, too.

Sorry, I just don't like it when handhelds get short shrift :razz:

If she has a decent computer, she might also want to consider some PC/Mac games. No eroge like the troll above me suggested, though.

You know, usually I wouldn't really consider GameFly but it might actually be worth it in her case. At least for a month or so. My concern with her getting a console really is that she won't like one or two games and then just write off gaming entirely. If she's interested in the Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk series I can bring my DS back home over Christmas and let her look through those and see what she thinks. She might even be able to unearth her own DS. (I agree, handhelds always get snubbed. I freakin' loved my DS and now I'm cheating on my PS Vita with my new 3DS XL...)

I might have to see about getting her a GameFly subscription once she chooses a console and actually buys one. Though my family was terrible about returning DVDs when I let them use the DVD option on my Netflix account back when you didn't have to pay extra for it...

In my experience, Zelda is a good gateway for girls with little experience in games. Also, Katamari Damacy if she has a tolerance for something a little more psychedelic and silly.

I would say just get a used PS3 or 360 at this point. Gamestop has a sale going on right now with 360s starting off at $100 and PS3s at $150 with a free $20 game. Also get a couple of cheap throwaway games for like about under $5-10. Since next-gen is right around the corner, a lot of current consoles/games will be cheap. If you're thinking of getting a PS3, get a PS+ subscription as well. You can't go wrong with 12 free PS3 games. If you already have a PS+ subscription, she can login into your account and download the games off your download list if you're not game sharing with someone else. The DS is a great starting point for gaming. The DS has a huge library with a lot of awesome games. The Phoenix Wright series and Pokémon series are great starters. Piccross is a good puzzle game series. Start with Picross 3D. Gamefly would be good to try out for like a free month but I wouldn't suggest it for a long term subscription. You can just provide her your Netflix streaming account. Netflix doesn't have the up to date movies and shows but they have a lot of content for $8 a month. This is coming from someone that was in your sisters shoes. I only have a Wii at the time. I love the games but wanted something more. Slowly I got a DS, then a PS3 and fell in love.

I'd have to agree that the DS would more than likely be the best system to get her into gaming.  It's the cheapest, least intimidating system with plenty of variety for both lighthearted and complex type of games.  Even better if your sister can dig out her old system, just guide her in the right direction with the choices.

For a traditional home console, PS3 would win it out for me, better exclusives overall.  I know many a female gamers (my sister included, occasionally) that really fell in love with the Uncharted / TLOU style of gameplay and story progression, as an example.

Since she already has a DS and didn't really show much interest in the games most people are recommending (I have them and have offered them) I'm going to probably say the DS isn't really going to work out. She wants to be able to play games with other people. She's also starting up a Film and Digital Media degree so she says she's looking for a way to ease into the more current stuff.

My goal is now to focus on convincing her that the PS3 is the right choice.

So what do you guys think? If you're trying to get someone into the current generation of consoles, what would you tell them to play? Uncharted is obviously on the list and my main reason for telling her to get the PS3 is that I think once she played through one of those games she'd really like it and be encouraged to try others.

Depends if that's the kind of game you think she'd like.

I'd maybe go for things like Rayman Origins/Legends, Sonic & All Stars Racing, and maybe some other games with multiplayer and coop that you could play with her. Maybe some RPG's if she's into that.

PS3 is the best choice for non-gamers or light gamers:

• She won't have to worry about keeping a monthly subscription active in case she decides to stop gaming for months at a time. 
  • The PS3 has the best media options of all the current consoles, so your sister could stream/watch blurays/play music/etc. when she's not gaming. 
  • The games seem to be cheaper on the whole and the discs hold up to abuse much, much better.

As far as recommending games, you could get her short sub of PlayStation Plus so she can get the 60 minute full game trials and show her how to download other demos.

This is coming from a 360 diehard, by the way.  It's just that, from my experience, it seems like someone who's trying to jump into core games or plays them only a few times a year gravitate towards the Triple since the 360 is too much of a hassle to keep current and has more limited media options.

PS3 is the best choice for non-gamers or light gamers:

• She won't have to worry about keeping a monthly subscription active in case she decides to stop gaming for months at a time.
  • The PS3 has the best media options of all the current consoles, so your sister could stream/watch blurays/play music/etc. when she's not gaming.
  • The games seem to be cheaper on the whole and the discs hold up to abuse much, much better.

As far as recommending games, you could get her short sub of PlayStation Plus so she can get the 60 minute full game trials and show her how to download other demos.

This is coming from a 360 diehard, by the way. It's just that, from my experience, it seems like someone who's trying to jump into core games or plays them only a few times a year gravitate towards the Triple since the 360 is too much of a hassle to keep current and has more limited media options.
I think it's also about being comfortable. My gf, for example, can't stand the ps3 controller. She states that it just feels awkward. However, she's fine playing the 360 as it feels better for her. So maybe something to keep in mind.

I think it's also about being comfortable. My gf, for example, can't stand the ps3 controller. She states that it just feels awkward. However, she's fine playing the 360 as it feels better for her. So maybe something to keep in mind.

There are plenty of 360-style controllers for the PS3.

Yeah...

Bad argument. Many third parties like to make XBox style controllers because they are popular among PS3 users.

The GameCube is an excellent console, so a Wii with the proper stuff is awesome.

So, my little sister has decided that she finally wants to start gaming. This is a big moment for me because I've tried to get my sisters into gaming for a while now. They've got my old Wii at home and they played around with that a fair amount but they never had anything for it beyond the latest Just Dance and a few Mario games. And both of my sisters grew up with a GBA SP and DS - though they mostly just played the Sims and Nintendogs. The oldest of the two actually wants to get a more dedicated, traditional gaming console now and play more serious games. For whatever reason she desperately wants to play GTAV. She's not going to put a lot of money into it because she's not quite sure she's going to actually like it. She's a nineteen year old college sophomore, sorority girl, former cheerleader, and pretty much a lifelong pseudo-geek. I've gotten her to accept some of her nerdier qualities in other ways but gaming is something new.

I've recommended she just get a basic used console and probably just from GameStop. The first round of 360s (which is the same type I have) are $99, the remodeled ones are like $120, and a PS3 slim is $150. She can check Craigslist, too, but she lives in a small college town so pickings will be, well, slim. She can't go out on Black Friday because she's going to be visiting family friends and I won't be going out for health reasons so that's probably not an option. What matters, though, is that she's getting one.

But I'm honestly at a loss as to what to recommend she actually get as a console or for games.

I have both consoles and I hoard games like the best of us CAGs. I'd send her any and all of the games I have to play through but I don't want to overwhelm her or be too overbearing. So I was wondering whether you guys would recommend she get a 360 or a PS3 and what like ten games she just absolutely has to play that will help her figure out what kind of games she likes and what kind of gamer she's going to be - if she turns out to be a gamer at all.

why do you want your sister to game so much? she's in college. she needs to focus on her academics and organizations rather than video gaming...

Actually, she's now a telecommunications and film major which includes courses on digital media and video games. So... this is relevant to her academics. It's an area which she knows nothing about and it puts her at a disadvantage compared to her more video game savvy classmates.

You know, I really appreciate the assholes in here who seem determined to continue adding to the chauvinistic stereotypes of gamers. You guys are super helpful.

You know, I really appreciate the assholes in here who seem determined to continue adding to the chauvinistic stereotypes of gamers. You guys are super helpful.
Just look at those posts as a way to determine which assholes to add to your ignore list. That's what I do!

Actually, she's now a telecommunications and film major which includes courses on digital media and video games. So... this is relevant to her academics. It's an area which she knows nothing about and it puts her at a disadvantage compared to her more video game savvy classmates.
Not to mention being a complete slut. College girls like doing that shit, especially since she's a cheerleader/sorority girl

organization13: that was completely uncalled for. you should be ashamed of yourself.

the best way to get her into gaming is buy her a used ps3 and get her some cool games like FEZ, supermeat boy, or Journey.

Get her a PS3 and Heavy Rain.

Get her a PS3 and Heavy Rain.
EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. Heavy Rain and Uncharted were the first two things that came to mind when she was asking me about getting a game console. I've been trying to get my family to play Heavy Rain since it came out because it's probably the one game I can see even my Mom being willing to play.

the best way to get her into gaming is buy her a used ps3 and get her some cool games like FEZ, supermeat boy, or Journey.
Journey is definitely on the list, too, if I can convince her to get a PS3 and not a 360.

The GameCube is an excellent console, so a Wii with the proper stuff is awesome.
I gave my family my Wii back in 2008 when I moved to Korea so she's played a few games on the Wii but I'm not sure she wants to go back to the Wii. I think she's really wanting to try one of the non-Nintendo consoles for the first time. (Not to dis Nintendo at all!)

As far as recommending games, you could get her short sub of PlayStation Plus so she can get the 60 minute full game trials and show her how to download other demos.
I fully agree that the PS3 would be better for a first time gamer/non-gamer. And I think the Playstation Plus subscription is a good idea. In twelve months they'd have to put up SOMETHING she'd want to play.

I would say just get a used PS3 or 360 at this point. Gamestop has a sale going on right now with 360s starting off at $100 and PS3s at $150 with a free $20 game.
Thanks for reminding me about that. She's looking at that deal now. I kind of wish the PS3 were down to $120 but $150 isn't bad.

EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. Heavy Rain and Uncharted were the first two things that came to mind when she was asking me about getting a game console. I've been trying to get my family to play Heavy Rain since it came out because it's probably the one game I can see even my Mom being willing to play.
If you expect your whole family will like it, then I don't see how you can go wrong. You might want to grab a few more traditional games just in case, though. Maybe Assassin's Creed II or Catherine? Those are both games that really hooked my sister when she started playing a couple of years ago.

Am I the only one who would expect an inexperienced gamer to find the XMB impenetrable? Even as a "tech person" I find it confusing and generally difficult to get anything done on the PS3, compared to the simple and intuitive interface of the 360. I'm sure not everyone agrees but it might be something to consider.

Film? Heavy Rain + Beyond.
The best way to get girls into games is to suggest games that are barely games.

Tomb Raider (2013) is my suggestion. It's accessible enough to not completely turn off anyone who is interested in actually putting in the effort to learn how to play a third person shooting/adventure game, but you can actually die so you could argue that it's a real game that takes some sort of skill and persistence to beat, unlike Heavy Rain, Journey, Beyond and Fez.

Oh, please, the biggest stereotype I see happening here is people hearing that you want some game ideas for your sister and recommending fucking non-games and that the PS3 is a blu-ray player.

How about shoving Civilization V or Europa Universalis in her face and telling her to deal with it?

Tomb Raider (2013) is my suggestion. It's accessible enough to not completely turn off anyone who is interested in actually putting in the effort to learn how to play a third person shooting/adventure game, but you can actually die so you could argue that it's a real game that takes some sort of skill and persistence to beat, unlike Heavy Rain, Journey, Beyond and Fez.
Ignoring the fact that I disagree with the idea that challenge is what makes a game a game, I still don't see how you lumped in Fez with those other games. That game is super tough.

I say try the Mass Effect Trilogy. That series had me hooked from beginning to end. Plus she can create her own badass FemShep. :twoguns:

Ignoring the fact that I disagree with the idea that challenge is what makes a game a game, I still don't see how you lumped in Fez with those other games. That game is super tough.
It's a balance of challenge and being able to fail. Heavy Rain is technically a game in that when you fail the Simon Says segments, your character dies or gets violent raped. Beyond is definitely not a game based on what I saw in the demo. My girlfriend put the controller down during the dog attack segment, but the game kept going.

Fez is barely a game. A good review on Fez is by THE BEST GAMERS. My link doesn't seem to show up, but basically the game is about rotating the world when there is nothing left to jump on in your current viewpoint. If you miss a jump, you simply teleport to the last platform you touched. The games like this attempt to invoke the style and nostalgia of early platformers, but include none of the challenge or fun. The game focuses more on being art than offering intriguing gameplay.

I think that recommending these games to people who don't have a lot of experience with video games does not do the industry justice.

Honestly, I think one of the best games to recommend for new players is something like Metroid (Super or otherwise), because that kind of gameplay structure is prevalent even today. It teaches a lot of basic concepts and can get you to think in a way that helps you beat actual games.

this is a dumb idea. get her games that are games!

She should get  a Gamecube, since it only costs $30 for the system and two controllers and it has an excellent game library. Recommended games are as follows:

Mario Golf: This game is a good blend of strategy and skill. It feels great to hit those tricky putts and chips, not to mention the occasional eagle or albatross. It should run you $5+s&h to get this game.

Super Monkey Ball 2: This game is HARD, but it makes a great party game. Cost= $5+s&h

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. This game has a large, beautiful world to explore. The blend of puzzles, exploration and character advancement is highly appealing to non-gamers. Great game. Cost= $30 + s&h.

note: The costs for the games are based off Ebay prices. I am NOT selling these games.

Seconding the recs for Assassin's Creed II and Prince of Persia 2008. Diablo III also might be worth looking into; the PS3 port's supposed to be excellent. Oh, and Portal for sure.

One of my favorite games this gen is Bayonetta, and I know quite a few other women gamers who love it as well, but... there's always the chance it could offend her. You'd be the better judge of that, obviously.

She should get a Gamecube, since it only costs $30 for the system and two controllers and it has an excellent game library.
The OP's mentioned above that her sister seems to want non-Nintendo system games.

But Nintendo is awesome. If you don't even want to give it a chance then you don't really want to get into gaming.

But Nintendo is awesome. If you don't even want to give it a chance then you don't really want to get into gaming.
If you ready the original post, they've had a Wii at home since 2008! And they've played most of the Mario games for it. I've never been into Zelda so I think my own personal bias has sadly effected her, lol. I bought Ocarina of Time for my 3DS in hopes that I can get over them and accept the Legend of Zelda. I have no problem with Nintendo and neither does she (she had a handful of Gamecube games on the Wii that I left behind but I don't know if anyone ever played them) but, yeah, she's looking to branch off from Nintendo.

I think she should play games that look fun to her, maybe show her some videos of gameplay or trailers to see if anything peaks her interest. After you know what kind of games she likes then you can recommend more.

I'm sorry that I did not read your op before commenting the first time, but despite reading it, I still have not changed my mind. The Wii, between the virtual console, ability to play Wii games and ability to play Gamecube games has a massive library that should have a game to appeal to any gamer. If she does not like the system because it appears too "kiddy", then I recommend some more mature titles such as Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe and Metal Gear Solid for the Gamecube.

However, after reading your posts about your sister, she does not seem that into gaming, and there is nothing wrong with this at all. For instance, I consider myself an extremely avid gamer, who owns over 100 games and has semi-weekly face to face matches against my friends in strategy, and party games and even I do not regard the gaming hobby as the most enjoyable hobby; I much prefer to read, exercise, fish or just spend quiet time with love ones. There is nothing innately beneficial about the gaming hobby. Unlike other hobbies such as illustration, music creation, wood working, computer programming and hobby electronics, gaming produces no inherent value. It just wastes time in a semi-enjoyable manner, without giving the gamer much to show for it. Any way enough ranting, Cheers!.

Fez is barely a game. A good review on Fez is by THE BEST GAMERS. My link doesn't seem to show up, but basically the game is about rotating the world when there is nothing left to jump on in your current viewpoint. If you miss a jump, you simply teleport to the last platform you touched. The games like this attempt to invoke the style and nostalgia of early platformers, but include none of the challenge or fun. The game focuses more on being art than offering intriguing gameplay.
If that's what that review said the game was, then then I'm guessing they didn't play much of it. That description doesn't even scratch the surface of what the game is. I don't want to talk too much about the game and spoil its mysteries, but I do think it's a game that I want more people to play, and if that requires me to say this much, I'll at least spoil that the cutesy platformer veneer is just a front that is concealing an infinitely deeper gameplay experience. Whether people choose to dig into the real experience beneath that surface is up to them, but I think anyone that goes through the game as if it were simply a platformer will at least see the hints that there is more to the game.

I do think this could be a good game to show someone what games can be capable of, especially if they are familiar with older platformers, since Fez uses that as an entry point to something more complicated.

bread's done
Back