How do I import a PSP without dead pixels?

SubjectNameHere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I want to import a PSP but it's been brought to my attention that none would take it back for dead pixels. How do I get around this so that I can get the import PSP I want and guarantee that it has no dead pixels?

you can't gaurantee that with ones you buy here. I didn't think this was still an issue. I have one but I never really notice it unless I look for it. Same on my DS. The realative cost of a PSP or DS lcd screens are at the low end, low quality for purposes of mass production.

Fly to Japan, open it before or when you buy..if everthing checks out OK, bring it home.
Seriously though, there is no way of knowing before you open the box. Like johnmirra said- luck. Unless you have an import game store in your city.

Pure Luck...which is just as good as getting a U.S. psp without dead pixels. Yes, Sony may exchange it for you, but it's all still based on luck. I imported a white one, and it has 0 dead pixels, but I also have 2 U.S. psps with 2-3 dead pixels here and there.

I've been lucky in that I have a US PSP, JP DS, and a JP DS Lite with a total of 0 stuck/dead pixels and this is the first thing I'm excited about importing and now all I hear is how horrible dead pixels make the whole experience. I'm looking to import a white psp right now.

[quote name='foundation']I've been lucky in that I have a US PSP, JP DS, and a JP DS Lite with a total of 0 stuck/dead pixels and this is the first thing I'm excited about importing and now all I hear is how horrible dead pixels make the whole experience. I'm looking to import a white psp right now.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, you'll have better luck importing a PSP than you will buying one domestically. Apparently, the Japanese systems have screens from a better manufacturer (AKA: Not Samsung) which means that you're less likely to have dead pixels and the ghosting issue that's present on US screens isn't as big of an issue either.

I have 3 PSP systems, all domestic.

2 of them have stuck/dead pixels (1 and 3 stuck/dead pixels respectively). the 3rd one does not.

The one with a single stuck/dead pixel was a launch system.

The one with 3 (iirc, I don't pay attention and don't really care) dead/stuck pixels was bought in August after launch.

The one with no dead/suck pixels I got from that FreePay PSP referral thing. It took about 6 months to get it after I was approved, but it came from Amazon.com and was a ATV Offroad pack with the movie, game, and 1GB stick.

Why am I mentioning this? Because I would guess that stuck/dead pixels are much less of a problem then they were. Also, I believe Sony will replace a PSP with any dead/stuck pixels. I know Nintendo does, even if you have a single problematic pixel.

Btw, dead pixels will not light up at all, they are dead, thus will look black. Stuck pixels will be stuck on a color (red, green, blue, or a combo of them). The most common stuck pixel color seems to be white, thus all three colors are stuck in on.

I would buy it from Wal-Mart as they have the most easy and painless return policy. EB Games and Gamestop are asses when it comes to returning things. I don't have experience with any other retailers. This is from my experience. My 2nd PSP would not have any pixel issues if I had bought it from Wal-Mart, because I would have exchanged it a 100 times until I got one that didn't. EB/GS wouldn't let me, well, I got them to do it 3 times, but I had to go to about 10 different stores and just get lucky and every single PSP I got had pixel issues.

[quote name='Chacrana']IIRC, you'll have better luck importing a PSP than you will buying one domestically. Apparently, the Japanese systems have screens from a better manufacturer (AKA: Not Samsung) which means that you're less likely to have dead pixels and the ghosting issue that's present on US screens isn't as big of an issue either.[/QUOTE]

That's all I needed. I simple reason to convince myself to take a shot. Thank you Chacrana (again) for the info.

Good point on the trending too b3b0p. I got a launch day domestic and it's perfect so I may have lucked out. I'll let y'all know when Play-Asia gets it here next week.

I really would not worry about a pixel or two having issues. You'll not even notice it after a while. Just play and enjoy.

[quote name='Chacrana']IIRC, you'll have better luck importing a PSP than you will buying one domestically. Apparently, the Japanese systems have screens from a better manufacturer (AKA: Not Samsung) which means that you're less likely to have dead pixels and the ghosting issue that's present on US screens isn't as big of an issue either.[/quote]

Actually, PSPs haven't been made in Japan since late 2005. All PSPs are now made in China, with the dreaded Samsung screen.

[quote name='foundation']That's all I needed. I simple reason to convince myself to take a shot. Thank you Chacrana (again) for the info.

Good point on the trending too b3b0p. I got a launch day domestic and it's perfect so I may have lucked out. I'll let y'all know when Play-Asia gets it here next week.[/quote]

Just bought a ceramic white from play-asia last monday (recieved it on Wed, talk about FAST shipping). Got lucky and didn't have a dead/stuck pixel. Didn't even think about it until I had it for a few days. Sounds like you've already ordered, so good luck!

[quote name='CouRageouS']I too am looking to get a White PSP, this was an issue but I thought if I really wanted a white one then I'll live with the risk.[/quote]

Good luck keeping it clean. ;) I love mine, but it gets dirty so easily.

bread's done
Back