How do I know which firmware I am buying before I purchase?

edtinney

CAGiversary!
I want to buy a PSP but I am looking for a 1.5 firmware so that I can do all the neat emulators and apps. Is there any way of finding which firmware is in the bax before buying it? Thank you.

Yeah, there's a way: you have to look at the barcode of the box. First, look on the barcode and find the "120V" on it. Now look directly under it. If it is BLANK or it has the letter A under it, it should mean you're buying a PSP with version 1.50 on it. If it has the letter B on it, DON'T BUY IT, because that letter B means that the firmware is either a 1.51 or a 1.52. Also, if you're lucky enough to find a PSP with the Spiderman 2 UMD packed in the box, it should be a 1.50 firmware PSP packed in.

Of course, common sense is to make sure you don't update your firmware either by downloading it, or updating it through the PSP's WiFi capabilities. Also be careful of future games that might force you to update your firmware in order to play it (I think Dead to Rights is the only game right now that forces a firmware update, and all it does is force it to update it to 1.50 anyways, so you should be safe).

Coded Arms, and Midnight Club 3 also require a firmware update (although it is just 1.50 which is on all the US launch models anyway). One of the newer japanese released games (Rockman) requires firmware 1.52 to run, and I'm guessing Death Jr. (USA) will too.

Here is a picture http://www.pspupdates.com/psp_version_thumb.jpg of the PSP barcode.

[quote name='VidPower']Yeah, there's a way: you have to look at the barcode of the box. First, look on the barcode and find the "120V" on it. Now look directly under it. If it is BLANK or it has the letter A under it, it should mean you're buying a PSP with version 1.50 on it. If it has the letter B on it, DON'T BUY IT, because that letter B means that the firmware is either a 1.51 or a 1.52. Also, if you're lucky enough to find a PSP with the Spiderman 2 UMD packed in the box, it should be a 1.50 firmware PSP packed in.

Of course, common sense is to make sure you don't update your firmware either by downloading it, or updating it through the PSP's WiFi capabilities. Also be careful of future games that might force you to update your firmware in order to play it (I think Dead to Rights is the only game right now that forces a firmware update, and all it does is force it to update it to 1.50 anyways, so you should be safe).[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, I may have been wrong, but that's a pain in the ass.

No letter = 1.0
A = 1.5
B = 1.51/1.52

Also don't be too paranoid about it updating the firmware without telling you. You have to have over 50% battery and be plugged into the wall in order to upgrade, otherwise you can't

bread's done
Back