How do I start out selling online?

Count

CAGiversary!
I want to know how it works. I just got a bank account and I want to sell games (posters, shirts, etc.) on Ebay.
What I'm clueless about is shipping. I know for one I can get USPS boxes for free.

What shipping option do I choose for games? Shirts? Posters? DLC codes?
There are so many like Expedited Shipping, etc. (clueless)

Thanks in Advance.
And maybe some tips on selling online. ;)

(not sure if this is the right board)

Often it's easier to include shipping in your price and make the shipping free since ebay has so many weird restrictions on how much shipping you can charge.

Another thing you might want to consider is ordering some flat rate bubblemailers from the USPS website, they're no cost to order and run about $5 to use. They're useful for small game lots (example: four to six cartridges).

[quote name='Count']I want to know how it works. I just got a bank account and I want to sell games (posters, shirts, etc.) on Ebay.
What I'm clueless about is shipping. I know for one I can get USPS boxes for free.

What shipping option do I choose for games? Shirts? Posters? DLC codes?
There are so many like Expedited Shipping, etc. (clueless)

Thanks in Advance.
And maybe some tips on selling online. ;)

(not sure if this is the right board)[/QUOTE]

First thing - if you don't have an ebay or paypal account, you need to make both of those as soon as you can. You need a paypal account to sell on ebay, and you need to link it to your own bank account that you just opened, which takes a few days, so do it as soon as you can.

USPS offers priority mail boxes for free, but they are flat rate, which means they cost the same amount no matter how much is inside them(or how much ISN'T inside them), up to 70 lbs.
Here's a link that describes the boxes and prices for them - https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

I wouldn't recommend them unless the buyer wants priority mail, they cost a bit more most of the time, and you can't charge those prices for shipping on ebay. Small items like single video games will usually be safe inside a bubble mailer, and sent via first class mail in the US for about $3. You can buy bubble mailers at wal-mart or in bulk online or other stores for fairly cheap. They will cost a bundle at USPS or UPS, I wouldn't bother.

You can either write the address and shipping info on the package itself or print labels online, which will reduce your cost(marginally since it costs ink), but WILL save you a lot of time. Ebay lets you print shipping labels with their own service now, and it really convenient. If you print labels online you need a scale to weigh your items. If you don't have an accurate scale, just do it at the post office.

Posters you can ship inside poster tubes, shirts inside small boxes(wal-mart, or you can buy them at UPS(HIGH PRICES), or ask for them at dollar stores etc for free. DLC codes can be emailed or sent via messaging on ebay itself, but if you have the code, I would recommend mailing it in an envelope for extra security.

PM me if you need other help

And don't forget to get Delivery Confirmation on EVERYTHING. In this day and age, it's your number one priority to cover your ass when it comes to selling online.

Years back, ebay was great to sell on. Now days seems like they cater more to business owners. The fees are ridiculous and really make it hard to earn decent money. You have listing fees, buy it now fees, final value fees, and paypal fees. I would look into all of that and see if you think it's worth it still. Best advice, sell your items here on CAG! :)

You get 50 free listings a month without listing or buy it now fees, and final value/paypal fees aren't as bad as people seem to think they are on ebay. Amazon is a differen't story - they're final value fees are pretty nuts.

OP,

I will post back later with more information (I have to run to the post office soon) but here is some information.

Buy a scale. It doesn't have to be expensive. Make sure it goes to the nearest .1 of a ounce (i.e. 4lbs 3.2 oz). You need it to be that exact because items under 13 ounces (games, cds, etc) are charged by the ounce. So something that weighs 5.3oz would be billed at 6oz.

Buy a printer. You save money by printing your labels through eBay or whatever service you choose. I would suggest printing through eBay because it will automatically upload your tracking information which will save you hassle later if buyer opens a case.

anything 13oz or less can go first class

over 13oz you need to go Parcel Post, Priority, Express or if it qualifies Media Mail (games don't qualify as Media Mail--don't listen to the idiots).

I don't ship with UPS or FedEx unless asked because it's not convenient or cost effective for me so I don't have insight on that.

International shipments:

This is a gray area. Selling international can be difficult. Only priority mail and express mail provide tracking and occassionaly delivery confirmation. This is important because you have to provide delivery confirmaiton (DC) to protect yourself against an Item Not Received (INR) case. However those methods are expensive $30+ for Priority $40+ for Express. First Class is reasonable for international shipments but does not provide protection. So if you mail an item all a buyer has to do is contact eBay and say they didn't receive it and you will have to refund 100% of the time.

Items 4lbs and less can go First Class International (FCI) items over 4lbs have to go Priority or Express.

There are many 3rd party insurers like shipsurance and U-pic that will insure international shipments for as little as $1 per $100 worth of coverage. If you offer FCI on international shipments I suggest you insure through one of those compaines to prtoect yourself. They will even reimburse shipping costs.

Look at the USPS website for free mailing supplies. Order LEGAL flat rate envelopes (Priority and Express) and Padded Flat Rate Envelopes (Priority and Express is coming soon). You can fit a lot inside of them. In fact also order the Priority Large Video Mailer (I believe it is Item 0196 or something of that effect.. I'll find out for sure later).

While that video box is NOT flat rate it fits nicely inside a Legal flat rate envelope which is only $5 to mail anywhere. I mailed many CE's like ME3 and such in a box like the one I described above and then was able to fit it inside a Legal Flate Rate Envelope.

If you have other questions ask and many will be able to help.

Also read the PayPal User Agreement a few times and know what you need to cover yourself.

If you sell an item over $250 including shipping you MUST have SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION on that shipment to protect yourself against an INR Claim

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Often it's easier to include shipping in your price and make the shipping free since ebay has so many weird restrictions on how much shipping you can charge.

Another thing you might want to consider is ordering some flat rate bubblemailers from the USPS website, they're no cost to order and run about $5 to use. They're useful for small game lots (example: four to six cartridges).[/QUOTE]

Flat rate mailers for first class?

[quote name='TiKi2']Flat rate mailers for first class?[/QUOTE]

No such thing. He was talking about the flat rate mailers for Priority that run $5 and include Delivery confirmation if you print your label online.

Thanks! Lots of great tips here. I have my bank linked to Paypal already and linked on Ebay :). I'm still a little confused, but I'll reread them till I can understand thoroughly.

I really wish I can Thumbs up posts. It's really informative!

[quote name='Count']Thanks! Lots of great tips here. I have my bank linked to Paypal already and linked on Ebay :). I'm still a little confused, but I'll reread them till I can understand thoroughly.

I really wish I can Thumbs up posts. It's really informative![/QUOTE]

OP,

know what you're selling and what you need to sell it at to make a profit. I've never experience it because I opened up an eBay account in 1999 when I was still in highschool but apparently if you are a new seller nowadays you face tons of restrictions including holds on the funds you received until delivery confirmation shows that the buyer has received the item or left you positive feedback.

As far as fees go you'll get his with a 2.9% fee for the entire purchase price of the item for accepting payment via PayPal and 3.9% of the payment came from an international buyer.

You'll get hit with a listing fee but I don't know what those are anymore. I only sell fix priced Buy It Now (BIN) listings and for almost all items I sell the insertion fees for those are just .05.

Final Value Fees (FVF) are usually anywhere from 9% to 13% but vary depending on the catagory you sell in and the price the item sells for.

Lastly know what you need to do to stay in good standing on eBay or they will can you without thinking twice. eBay has changed over the years and no longer caters to the small sellers and instead seeks out large sellers like Newegg, ToysRUs and Buy.

[quote name='GBAstar']OP,

I will post back later with more information (I have to run to the post office soon) but here is some information.

Buy a scale. It doesn't have to be expensive. Make sure it goes to the nearest .1 of a ounce (i.e. 4lbs 3.2 oz). You need it to be that exact because items under 13 ounces (games, cds, etc) are charged by the ounce. So something that weighs 5.3oz would be billed at 6oz.

Buy a printer. You save money by printing your labels through eBay or whatever service you choose. I would suggest printing through eBay because it will automatically upload your tracking information which will save you hassle later if buyer opens a case.

anything 13oz or less can go first class

over 13oz you need to go Parcel Post, Priority, Express or if it qualifies Media Mail (games don't qualify as Media Mail--don't listen to the idiots).

I don't ship with UPS or FedEx unless asked because it's not convenient or cost effective for me so I don't have insight on that.

International shipments:

This is a gray area. Selling international can be difficult. Only priority mail and express mail provide tracking and occassionaly delivery confirmation. This is important because you have to provide delivery confirmaiton (DC) to protect yourself against an Item Not Received (INR) case. However those methods are expensive $30+ for Priority $40+ for Express. First Class is reasonable for international shipments but does not provide protection. So if you mail an item all a buyer has to do is contact eBay and say they didn't receive it and you will have to refund 100% of the time.

Items 4lbs and less can go First Class International (FCI) items over 4lbs have to go Priority or Express.

There are many 3rd party insurers like shipsurance and U-pic that will insure international shipments for as little as $1 per $100 worth of coverage. If you offer FCI on international shipments I suggest you insure through one of those compaines to prtoect yourself. They will even reimburse shipping costs.

Look at the USPS website for free mailing supplies. Order LEGAL flat rate envelopes (Priority and Express) and Padded Flat Rate Envelopes (Priority and Express is coming soon). You can fit a lot inside of them. In fact also order the Priority Large Video Mailer (I believe it is Item 0196 or something of that effect.. I'll find out for sure later).

While that video box is NOT flat rate it fits nicely inside a Legal flat rate envelope which is only $5 to mail anywhere. I mailed many CE's like ME3 and such in a box like the one I described above and then was able to fit it inside a Legal Flate Rate Envelope.

If you have other questions ask and many will be able to help.

Also read the PayPal User Agreement a few times and know what you need to cover yourself.

If you sell an item over $250 including shipping you MUST have SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION on that shipment to protect yourself against an INR Claim[/QUOTE]

Very detailed, thanks. :applause:
So if i ship games, I can use first class? what box size though? There's so many damn boxes on their website.

[quote name='GBAstar']OP,

know what you're selling and what you need to sell it at to make a profit. I've never experience it because I opened up an eBay account in 1999 when I was still in highschool but apparently if you are a new seller nowadays you face tons of restrictions including holds on the funds you received until delivery confirmation shows that the buyer has received the item or left you positive feedback.

As far as fees go you'll get his with a 2.9% fee for the entire purchase price of the item for accepting payment via PayPal and 3.9% of the payment came from an international buyer.

You'll get hit with a listing fee but I don't know what those are anymore. I only sell fix priced Buy It Now (BIN) listings and for almost all items I sell the insertion fees for those are just .05.

Final Value Fees (FVF) are usually anywhere from 9% to 13% but vary depending on the catagory you sell in and the price the item sells for.

Lastly know what you need to do to stay in good standing on eBay or they will can you without thinking twice. eBay has changed over the years and no longer caters to the small sellers and instead seeks out large sellers like Newegg, ToysRUs and Buy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have heard about the drastic changes Ebay has faced. I want to sell some items in my room that does not serve purpose for me anymore.
Are there any alternatives instead of Ebay?

[quote name='Count']Very detailed, thanks. :applause:
So if i ship games, I can use first class? what box size though? There's so many damn boxes on their website.[/QUOTE]

you don't use their boxes for first class. Just use bubble mailers which can be bought in bulk online for cheap or at a Target/wal-mart.

[quote name='AJVtony831']you don't use their boxes for first class. Just use bubble mailers which can be bought in bulk online for cheap or at a Target/wal-mart.[/QUOTE]
Gotcha.

[quote name='Count']Very detailed, thanks. :applause:
So if i ship games, I can use first class? what box size though? There's so many damn boxes on their website.[/QUOTE]

If it weighs less the 13oz it can go first class regardless of what medium you use to ship it (bubble mailer, box, envelope, etc.) pick a method that is cost effective as well as durable enough to protect the game.

Most standard games will do fine in a bubble mailer. Don't mail valuable games or CE's in one or anything else where condition upon arrival matters because your buyer will be angry if the item arrives damaged.

You won't find any free supplies on the USPS website for mailing first class items. The free boxes, envelopes and mailers they provide are incentives to upgrade your postage to either Priority or Express.

If you're going to mail first class find cheap mailing supplies. You can buy in bulk through amazon or discount mailing supply stores. Personally I use mailersusa.com. I buy the poly bubble mailers "white" #1 size (7.25" x 11.25") and they will accomodate any normal size DVD, CD, Game, etc.

I think they are $19 for 100 which isn't the best price I've seen but it is still good. Anything less then $.20 per unit is a reasonable price.

I prefer the white poly bubble mailers just because they are more weather resistant then the kraft yellow mailers (what AZ uses) and they are also less rigid so if you buy the larger sizes you can actually wrap them around the game one or two times for more protection.

Also as far as first class 1 2 and 3 oz is the same rate. If you print on eBay it will cost $1.64 with Delivery Confirmation (DC). I believe 4oz is $1.81 and 5oz is $1.98. Price goes up with each additional ounce. After 1lb the price only goes up by each additional pound. Remember if something weighs 2lbs 0.1 oz you are supposed to pay the three pound rate.

Also, and this should go without saying but you're paying postage on the entire package weight (item + packing materials) not just on the item weight.

A good rule of thumb is most standard games weight 5oz (PC, Wii, 360, PS3).

Some will weight 4oz (some PC and 360 due to the cases being thinner material) and some will weigh 6oz if the manual is thicker or there is a second disc.

Some Vita and 3DS games only weigh 3oz.

This is improtant because you need to factor in shipping costs into your profit. You can charge seperately for shipping in your listing but I build it into my price for a few reasons:

1) you get better visibility on eBay item searches if you include free shipping
2) with many retailers offering free shipping buyers expect it
3) by offering free shipping you automatically get a 5 on the your shipping price DSR (DSR are detailed seller ratings on a scale of 1-5). Currently you need a 4.8 or better to be top rated and I think anything under 4.6 is below standard and could result in your accoutn being closed)

[quote name='Count']Yes, I have heard about the drastic changes Ebay has faced. I want to sell some items in my room that does not serve purpose for me anymore.
Are there any alternatives instead of Ebay?[/QUOTE]

No site currently has the visibility that eBay has. AZ is more of the same as far as rules and fees go.

Craiglist or local classifies too but again you're going to appeal to a smaller crowd.

Delivery confirmation on everything. If it is over $50 or breakable, insurance. If it is over $75 on Amazon, signature confirmation.

Always buy your shipping online.

Start out with small stuff. It might be worth buying some things on ebay to get feedback first.

Ok, I just watched a Youtube video and I think I'm starting to understand it.
But about the signature confirmation, what is that?
Always buy your shipping online.
Wait what does that mean.

[quote name='Count']Ok, I just watched a Youtube video and I think I'm starting to understand it.
But about the signature confirmation, what is that?

Wait what does that mean.[/QUOTE]

It means purchase your postage at USPS.com, or through your eBay selling account or through PayPal. You'll print the actual shipping label. You save a lot of money that way because if you pay at the post office your rates are going to be slightly higher (except on First class where it is uniform) and you'll have to pay for Delivery Confirmation which is at least $.80.

Signature confirmation is a service that cost $2.xx that requires the post man to get a signature from the buyer which proves they received it. eBay and PayPal require that you have Signature confirmation (SC) on any item you ship that the buyer paid more then $250 for INCLUDING shipping

When you sell something be honest with people. I just bought a game that that has a bunch of scratches Data side, guess what doesn't work.

Test your shit before you send it.

[quote name='GBAstar']If it weighs less the 13oz it can go first class regardless of what medium you use to ship it (bubble mailer, box, envelope, etc.) pick a method that is cost effective as well as durable enough to protect the game.

Most standard games will do fine in a bubble mailer. Don't mail valuable games or CE's in one or anything else where condition upon arrival matters because your buyer will be angry if the item arrives damaged.

You won't find any free supplies on the USPS website for mailing first class items. The free boxes, envelopes and mailers they provide are incentives to upgrade your postage to either Priority or Express.

If you're going to mail first class find cheap mailing supplies. You can buy in bulk through amazon or discount mailing supply stores. Personally I use mailersusa.com. I buy the poly bubble mailers "white" #1 size (7.25" x 11.25") and they will accomodate any normal size DVD, CD, Game, etc.

I think they are $19 for 100 which isn't the best price I've seen but it is still good. Anything less then $.20 per unit is a reasonable price.

I prefer the white poly bubble mailers just because they are more weather resistant then the kraft yellow mailers (what AZ uses) and they are also less rigid so if you buy the larger sizes you can actually wrap them around the game one or two times for more protection.

Also as far as first class 1 2 and 3 oz is the same rate. If you print on eBay it will cost $1.64 with Delivery Confirmation (DC). I believe 4oz is $1.81 and 5oz is $1.98. Price goes up with each additional ounce. After 1lb the price only goes up by each additional pound. Remember if something weighs 2lbs 0.1 oz you are supposed to pay the three pound rate.

Also, and this should go without saying but you're paying postage on the entire package weight (item + packing materials) not just on the item weight.

A good rule of thumb is most standard games weight 5oz (PC, Wii, 360, PS3).

Some will weight 4oz (some PC and 360 due to the cases being thinner material) and some will weigh 6oz if the manual is thicker or there is a second disc.

Some Vita and 3DS games only weigh 3oz.

This is improtant because you need to factor in shipping costs into your profit. You can charge seperately for shipping in your listing but I build it into my price for a few reasons:

1) you get better visibility on eBay item searches if you include free shipping
2) with many retailers offering free shipping buyers expect it
3) by offering free shipping you automatically get a 5 on the your shipping price DSR (DSR are detailed seller ratings on a scale of 1-5). Currently you need a 4.8 or better to be top rated and I think anything under 4.6 is below standard and could result in your accoutn being closed)[/QUOTE]

Wow, you totally know your shipping :). Looks like I may have to buy supplies first before selling. Checklist:

- Electronic weight postal scale
- Poly Bubble Mailers
- (Adhesive label paper?)

[quote name='TiKi2']When you sell something be honest with people. I just bought a game that that has a bunch of scratches Data side, guess what doesn't work.

Test your shit before you send it.[/QUOTE]

^ This. Know that eBay is 99.9% of the time going to side with the buyer. You can avoid problems with making sure the buyer is always informed of any defects. I primarily sell NEW items so I don't run into many problems because for most games new and sealed means just that. But occassionaly I'll get items that are rare and worth significant money $100+ but maybe there is a tear in the shrinkwrap or a dent in the box. Buyers are going to want to know that so it is important I list it.

Also know that whatever selling policy you make up won't mean shit to eBay. If you sell on eBay you need to follow there terms. You don't have to accept returns and you can have a policy stating that but guess what?

eBay has a policy that states you are responsible for accurately describing your item and all a buyer would have to do if you refuse to accept a return (for any reason) is open a SNAD (Significantly not as described) case through eBay claiming that the item was different from what you advertised and then you'd be forced to take the return and probably get hit with negative feedback to boot.

I paid about $25 for 100 size 1 envelops online, and about the same for 100 boxes that can hold multi-cds.

A cheap food scale is great for weighing, if you can't find a cheap postal scale. I actually have both.

Use a laser printer, cause it's like $0.03 cents a page (including the paper).

Don't buy Target brand tape. They lose their stickiness easily, and your package will open. Duck is my favorite, but it's also pricey. Six rolls will last you a long time.

Save boxes you get, if you sell larger items.

UPS ground is cheaper sometimes (only over 13 oz), but it's a lot of work just to figure it out. I sold a standee once, and the difference between shaving off an inch off the packaging changed the rates from $80 to $30.

There's no reason not to do free shipping on ebay anymore. You get charged the final value fee on it. Say you do $30, and $2.99 shipping. You'll pay the same if you do $32.99 with free shipping, but more people will buy the $32.99 once, despite the total being the exact same.

USPS shipping confirmation is free for first class online now, since they raised the rates.

Don't list things using Buy It Now. List it as an auction with a BIN price, and the starting price at 90% of the BIN. You won't pay listing fees for the first 50 items a month that way.

Your 50 free listings resets on the first, so if you reach the limit near the end if the month, you can wait.

Ending auctions on Sundays used to yield the best prices. Not sure if it's still true.

Use boxes for jewel cases. They will crack more often than not otherwise.

I've never had a PS2/PS3/360/DS game damaged in a bubble mailer.

I bought packing paper for larger items, because of storage issues. I used to keep used paper and air packs. I never use peanuts, cause I hate them.

Amazon's commission is comparable to ebay's, but what always kills me on Amazon is shipping. They'll give you $3.99 for shipping, when it costs like $9, or like $6.99 when it costs $20.

That's all I can think of for now.

Edit: after reading since other posts... 1) I personally hate poly bags, so I use the yellow ones. Sure, poly ones are more weather resistant, but when was the last time you saw wet mail in envelopes? I know I've never. 2) I also use normal paper, and not the stickers, for labels. 3) I only buy insurance on things that are $100+, and I check the buyer's feedback. If they have 1000 at 100%, I'm less likely to bother with insurance. I've yet to hear a story of anyone being reimbursed from USPS's insurance though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has mentioned most of the important stuff but I will just state again things that I think are most important.

Pick up cheap bubble mailers online - you can get them for like 19 cents each (including shipping) if you buy in bulk vs. the roughly $1 you will pay at Staples or Office Max or similar places.

Pick up a scale online (like $20) and print out your own labels. Saves a little bit of money since you pay a reduced rate (get free delivery confirmation) and you don't have to wait in line at the post office.

This is something I wish I did years ago. So many wasted hours at the APC or waiting in line.

I picked up a cheap laser printer with a new toner cart for like 20 bucks and it is was so worth it. Worst part was picking it up from craigslist. Old man said come right in the door is unlocked and I went into the wrong house.

One last thing is if you are going to be mailing out many packages find a place with a 24 hr slot so you can drop stuff on during off hours. If you want to go during the day find a post office that has a spot where you can drop off your packages. Most post offices you can bring them up to an empty counter and drop them off and just leave, but a few places I've been to have told me I have to wait in line so they can scan them in (no idea why).

[quote name='Dokstarr']One last thing is if you are going to be mailing out many packages find a place with a 24 hr slot so you can drop stuff on during off hours. If you want to go during the day find a post office that has a spot where you can drop off your packages. Most post offices you can bring them up to an empty counter and drop them off and just leave, but a few places I've been to have told me I have to wait in line so they can scan them in (no idea why).[/QUOTE]

I was once told by an employee that I can't stick packages in the package bin next to the APC unless I paid for the postage at the APC. I've disregarded that advice and mailed a couple of packages through there where I printed the postage at home.

Most post offices let you just leave the packages on the counter, but I don't like doing that. If there's a long line, people give you the stink eye. Sometimes I've "cut" in line and directly handed the package to an employee between paying customers. Usually that's been fine because it takes all of 10 seconds, but last time she insisted on printing a receipt for me so I really did cut in line. But no one was overtly angry about it. Sometimes the employees just ignore what is placed on the counter and I sometimes wonder if anyone is just ballsy enough to walk up and snatch random packages from the counter.

One post office near me got smart and they removed the package bin that was next to the APC machine and built it into the wall of the building on the inside lobby next to the regular mail slots. So I almost always use that now. No waiting in line, no leaving it randomly on the counter, etc. Works every time. Except when it randomly locks up.

[quote name='kodave']I was once told by an employee that I can't stick packages in the package bin next to the APC unless I paid for the postage at the APC. I've disregarded that advice and mailed a couple of packages through there where I printed the postage at home.[/QUOTE]

I have never been told this. I love the APCs simply because I can drop in larger packages without waiting. Even a small Amazon box won't fit in most 'normal' dropboxes.

[quote name='kodave']Except when it randomly locks up.[/QUOTE]

That is when it is full. I think it is funny a few times I've seen people freak out when they put a package in and then the chute locks because it is full.

[quote name='Dokstarr']That is when it is full. I think it is funny a few times I've seen people freak out when they put a package in and then the chute locks because it is full.[/QUOTE]

I personally like the visual confirmation that my package isn't still in the metal bin. I assume others do too, and not everyone knows how the contraption works. Also, people get pissed off when you put your package in then it locks up. They should just have a sentence above the bin or next to the other labels about the bin being full if it locks up.

For the longest time I didn't have a scale and I only bought 4 oz. labels for all my games unless they were "kind of heavy" ($5) or "really heavy" ($6). Never had a package sent back to me. Now that I have a scale I feel bad. :cry:

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']For the longest time I didn't have a scale and I only bought 4 oz. labels for all my games unless they were "kind of heavy" ($5) or "really heavy" ($6). Never had a package sent back to me. Now that I have a scale I feel bad. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I actually did 6oz or 7oz when I didn't have a scale.

[quote name='elessar123']I actually did 6oz or 7oz when I didn't have a scale.[/QUOTE]

When I go and drop them at USPS office they will make me pay more if I'm even an ounce under. But if I drop them in one of the boxes around town they'll just take it and deliver even if I'm 2-3 ounces off..

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']When I go and drop them at USPS office they will make me pay more if I'm even an ounce under. But if I drop them in one of the boxes around town they'll just take it and deliver even if I'm 2-3 ounces off..[/QUOTE]

you know who you're ripping off when that happens? the postman. they'll sometimes be tasked with collecting the difference and just pay it themselves.

[quote name='confoosious']you know who you're ripping off when that happens? the postman. they'll sometimes be tasked with collecting the difference and just pay it themselves.[/QUOTE]

I don't do that anymore....I wasn't sure what the weight was and since they never sent them back I thought it was OK, even though I felt a little bit like I was getting away with it.

But now I weigh them out and make sure everything is perfect. I don't want USPS to go out of business!

I reuse bubble envelopes and boxes I get from Amazon or other places in the mail. I try to find the smallest package I can fit my items into after I wrap them in newspaper or bubblewrap, this prevents damage since the post office employees just toss boxes with an IDGAF attitude if its not marked "FRAGILE".

Tracking numbers have been a must since someone said they didnt get their item.

I think I get more with Best Offer on Ebay then I would with a week auction so I use that mostly now. Sure you get some lowball offers but you can just ignore them.

Sorry for the no-reply. I did read the posts though (just lazy to log in)
Thanks for the help. I'll be selling off soon, thanks to you guys :).

Can you guys just reclarify if it's cards though? It's better if there's a card sleeve / card protector. Then send it on a small box? / envelope?

[quote name='Count']And one last thing, DLC codes? like the PS3 DLC online pass paper?[/QUOTE]

You've got to watch it with those. It's really easy to get ripped off selling those.

[quote name='krashhole']Years back, ebay was great to sell on. Now days seems like they cater more to business owners. The fees are ridiculous and really make it hard to earn decent money. You have listing fees, buy it now fees, final value fees, and paypal fees. I would look into all of that and see if you think it's worth it still. Best advice, sell your items here on CAG! :)[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting they actually charge a % on final value shipping. Yes, it's true.

eBay doesn't cater to business owners, they cater to spoiled brat buyers. Which is why I haven't sold anything on eBay since 2008 (when they removed sellers from leaving negative feedback).

bread's done
Back