How do they make it profitable?

Artrigis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Over the past few weeks Ive accumulated 1 NES, 2 N64, and 2 gamecubes. I see them selling for between 25-40 online.
What is the best way to ship these large, bulky, and heavy systems?

If I sell a system for $25, and shipping is $10. It hardly seems worth it, Id rather try my luck at selling on CL.

From my experience with USPS, I'd guess that those who sell systems only ship within a two or three state range--not running from one coast to the other. Going by the parcel post rate, Maryland to Virginia might cost $8 to ship...but try sending the same item to Nevada; you'll get socked for $18.

Use the shipping cost calculator that are on the different carriers sites, and set the destination ZIP for a city on the furthest coast from you. That's your maximum shipping cost. Now calculate that into your selling price + shipping (minus any fees) and see if your potential low-end profit is worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, the problem with Indigo's suggestion of only shipping a few states away is that if you sell on Amazon, eBay, etc, you really have no control over where the buyer lives in the US. Once it's purchased and you realize that shipping will be a small fortune, you can always cancel, but you run the risk of negative feedback. Hence the suggestion of doing your homework first.

the cheapest way to ship is using usps Regional Rate boxes. I live in CT and can ship systems (as long as they fit) around $7.00 to the west coast and Floriday. Sometimes is cheaper to send them reguary priority if they are in CT, NJ, or NY.
The Regional Rate A boxes are free from the post office. I can fit a SNES, N64, PS2, or PS1 - but its a very tight fit.

Yeah I do sell on amazon, so I need to be able to ship anywhere in the U.S. Even had a couple of APO addresses too. Ill definitely look into the USPS regional rate boxes white3er, thanks for the suggestion.

I picked up an ice colored N64, looks like it goes for about $45 on amazon

Maintain documentation of the system serial number when you sell it. It wouldn't be enough to keep you from getting scammed if the person files an A-Z, but the knowledge that you have the serial might be enough to keep slightly shady people from trying to make a bad return.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Maintain documentation of the system serial number when you sell it. It wouldn't be enough to keep you from getting scammed if the person files an A-Z, but the knowledge that you have the serial might be enough to keep slightly shady people from trying to make a bad return.[/QUOTE]

THIS! and actually take a picture of the serial number and the console before shipping...especially on Amazon...

[quote name='sp00ge']Use the shipping cost calculator that are on the different carriers sites, and set the destination ZIP for a city on the furthest coast from you. That's your maximum shipping cost. Now calculate that into your selling price + shipping (minus any fees) and see if your potential low-end profit is worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, the problem with Indigo's suggestion of only shipping a few states away is that if you sell on Amazon, eBay, etc, you really have no control over where the buyer lives in the US. Once it's purchased and you realize that shipping will be a small fortune, you can always cancel, but you run the risk of negative feedback. Hence the suggestion of doing your homework first.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot to mention the whole cancel order dynamic; I think the real trouble with systems (on Amazon anyhow) is that you can't scale up the shipping and that you're competing against...let's face it...dumb people who don't know they're selling at cost or at a loss. Such was the lesson a younger Indigo learned when he shipped a PS1 to Hawaii and cleared a shiny quarter in profit.

Just shipped out my first real console, have only done handhelds before.
n64, controller, all hookups, 2 random cheap games.
Asked about the regional flat rate box at the post office, told me you have to order them online and they take about 2 months to ship them to you. =O

So opted for a medium flat rate box at $11.35 and got delivery confirmation to go with it.
$12.10 shipped, not bad at all considering what I sold the N64 for.

I stopped selling "retro" systems a while ago. Cheapest I can usually get them for is around 40, maybe 30 if someone really wants to get rid of them, and they sell for around 50-60. Not enough return for me. So much of this stuff I assume is being bought up by gamers who are grown up and want this stuff for nostalgia or their kids, I'm sure when that generation is done with them they'll come back on the market at even higher prices.

I remember like 8 years ago I could get an NES for like 20 bucks all day.

bread's done
Back