How do you all see employment?

HovaEscobar

CAGiversary!
Recently I realized that I had a distorted view of working and life in general. That I had too high expectations for what a " good life " is, glorifying celebrity as a means to satisfy my own insecurities.

Now, I'm through with that, but I don't understand what to expect from employment. I want a regular 9-5 job, but what should I shoot for? I'd like to know what kind of jobs that you all have. How many people can live through working a job just for the money and biting your time until the day ends and how many of you all work a job that you enjoy? Not trying to say that the former is better than the latter, but I'd like to know the experiences of others to help me form my decision. Should I shoot for more of a money job or a job that I like? And since I had nonsensical ideas of careers that I wanted to pursue before this point, I really don't know what would constitute a " job that you like" :being around a subject that you enjoy or actually working directly on the thing that you enjoy?

Basically, what kind of jobs do you CAGs do, do you enjoy your jobs, do you regret your jobs, do you do it JUST for the money, etc.

I'm a host for a local brewery out here in Bend, OR. I like my job and my coworkers, but sometimes the people I deal with are ridiculous. My job pays well (hourly + tips) and my flexible schedule allows me to go to school and hit the gym. I work because I like having money. I am not one to buy crap I don't need. I regret having a car payment and am not the kind of person who needs brand-name clothing or all the latest technology. I work hard now and save, that way I will be prepared for any hard time I may encounter in the future.

It is best in the long run to work a job that you enjoy, however, you may not find one at first, especially in this economy. I work as an IT sys admin and applications developer and I love going to work every day. I work 8:30-5:30 m-f, and it works well for me because it gives me time for things I enjoy, like spending time with my fiance, going to the gym, and playing video games, plus having weekends free is awesome. I worked in retail and fast food before this job, and while I did enjoy all of them, they were nothing like this. This is much more satisfying and less stressful.

I got out of college 6 months ago and now have one of those jobs were they really abuse the new hires/associates. The Big 4 accounting firms abuse you like no other companies, except for investment banks and law firms. I'm currently looking to quit and get a less stressful job soon. I don't know if my sanity can take busy season, working 12 hour days and on weekends. fuck that shit.

To be honest, perhaps I should have known better before taking this job. But I thought I could handle the long hours. They claimed it was pretty much only in busy season. They were wrong. And there is no overtime. I hate coming home and barely being able to eat and see my fiance and cats for a couple hours before having to go to sleep and do it all over again. I'd take a paycut just to get a 9-5 accounting job or something more meaningful like teaching, where it's not just filling people's wallets while you get sub-minimum wage pay since you work such long hours.

shoot for a money job and make it fun. i went to college but didnt graduate, wandered around in retail for a while and now work in production making pizza boxes. dull, repeating, mindless work, watching the same boxes go by hour after hour. but for about 55k a year with OT, well worth it, even with the 12 hour days every once in a while. you have to make it fun with your coworkers.

I currently work as a Pharmacy Technician for a major pharmacy chain. The work is fast paced, can be stressful at times, and doesn't pay very well. I do all the dirty work and make peanuts while the Pharmacist in charge makes a nice 6 figure salary.

I can't wait to get my ass into Pharmacy school.

Anyways...do what you like because money isn't everything. It just buys a lot of nice stuff :)

I used to work retail all the way up until this year. I love my job right now. It's not what I want to do say 10 years from now (atleast what I'm doing right now exactly) but it definitely treats me very well.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']Recently I realized that I had a distorted view of working and life in general. That I had too high expectations for what a " good life " is, glorifying celebrity as a means to satisfy my own insecurities.

Now, I'm through with that, but I don't understand what to expect from employment. I want a regular 9-5 job, but what should I shoot for? I'd like to know what kind of jobs that you all have. How many people can live through working a job just for the money and biting your time until the day ends and how many of you all work a job that you enjoy? Not trying to say that the former is better than the latter, but I'd like to know the experiences of others to help me form my decision. Should I shoot for more of a money job or a job that I like? And since I had nonsensical ideas of careers that I wanted to pursue before this point, I really don't know what would constitute a " job that you like" :being around a subject that you enjoy or actually working directly on the thing that you enjoy?

Basically, what kind of jobs do you CAGs do, do you enjoy your jobs, do you regret your jobs, do you do it JUST for the money, etc.[/QUOTE]

The best advice I can give is don't get into debt. That way you don't have to work a job you hate just to make ends meet. If you want a family, do some SERIOUS financial thinking first. Too many people have kids "because they want kids" instead of sitting down and having a financial plan laid out for that sort of thing.

I work retail. I manage a college bookstore. I work insane hours as I am salaried. I do it simply because it is the best option I have available to me in the area I live in. My benefits are good. There are times when the job isn't bad, but most of the time I am highly stressed and most of the free moments I have at home are thinking about work. I left years ago when I was just a sales associate. When they needed a manager, I came back. I kind of wish I didn't, but I had no choice. The stress led to weight gain and anxiety. I have been able to take some weight off recently though and I am trying to find things to take my mind off of work. I've been forcing myself to go out, hang with friends or family instead of stressing every waking moment over my job.

Other than my credit card, I don't really have any bad debt. Honestly, I don't see myself doing this job until old age. I would like to get into radio one day. My sister has a friend who is in an on-air personality in Arkansas so I will probably ask him the best path to take. Outside of that, I have an idea for a personal business venture that I may go forward with this summer depending on my job situation and the initial investment I need.

College Professor. I love it for the most part, especially the research and the freedom to develop my own research agenda. But I do enjoy the teaching too, most of the time.

It's not really a 9-5 job. I work more than 40 hours most weeks, but there's a lot of flexibility in when to work those hours--outside of teaching, meetings etc. But even then you have some flexibility over whether you teach morning, afternoon or evening classes etc.

I wait tables/bartend. I can work as many or as few hours as I want, and make damn good money during the time I'm working, if I'm willing to haul ass. The hours for most people would be horrid, but I don't mind the nights/weekends as I'm not a partier or anything, so I can enjoy my off time being off-hours.

But making $20 or so an hour, often more, at a job where I hang out with very attractive waitresses and guests (customers), chat, am on my feet burning calories, and for the most part have a great time; I think it's a great gig if you can handle the busy times and truly dealing with people.

Oh, the benefits are horrible, but the lady's job provides that end of things, so it's all good.

Does anybody know anything about the advertising/marketing/branding field? I was trying to get into that, but this video really turned me off ot the entire idea. I know it's satire, but damn, some many people in the comments are saying their lives are actually like that. Is that kinda politics normal in job situations and can one still have a happy job experience in an environment like that?

[quote name='ispeshaled']I can't wait to get my ass into Pharmacy school.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talking about. Pharmacists make good money for a relatively easy program. I've been slacking for years but I may go this route in the end.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I work retail. I manage a college bookstore. I work insane hours as I am salaried. I do it simply because it is the best option I have available to me in the area I live in. My benefits are good. There are times when the job isn't bad, but most of the time I am highly stressed and most of the free moments I have at home are thinking about work. I left years ago when I was just a sales associate. When they needed a manager, I came back. I kind of wish I didn't, but I had no choice. The stress led to weight gain and anxiety. I have been able to take some weight off recently though and I am trying to find things to take my mind off of work. I've been forcing myself to go out, hang with friends or family instead of stressing every waking moment over my job.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a similar boat. Retail is such a bitch because you have to pander to customers while being your boss's lap dog. Even when you take over at the store level you still have to bow down to DM's, RM's, VP's and the like.

Even a job that you don't necessarily love can be rewarding, its all what you make of it. I'm not really working in the academic field I want, and my job can be a bit monotonous. But I enjoy the place I work, I have phenomenal coworkers, flexible schedule, and great benefits. I realize I'm luckier than most.

I guess in one respect its just a way to pay the bills, which it does. I guess what I'd say is its okay not to love what you do as long as you don't completely hate it.

[quote name='ispeshaled']I currently work as a Pharmacy Technician for a major pharmacy chain. The work is fast paced, can be stressful at times, and doesn't pay very well. I do all the dirty work and make peanuts while the Pharmacist in charge makes a nice 6 figure salary.[/QUOTE]

And that's what's wrong with the world.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I got out of college 6 months ago and now have one of those jobs were they really abuse the new hires/associates. The Big 4 accounting firms abuse you like no other companies, except for investment banks and law firms. I'm currently looking to quit and get a less stressful job soon. I don't know if my sanity can take busy season, working 12 hour days and on weekends. fuck that shit.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, its BS. I don't think its a new practice for companies to take advantage of new grads, but it seems like with this current economy/ job market they go out of their way to treat employees like shit. I've been working at this shitty tech job for 5 years right out of college, working 11PM to 7AM plus weekends. Finally I get enough tenure to get day shift, and then they go ahead and make the shifts 12 hours long. fuck. Without overtime. DOUBLE fuck.

Needless to say I don't like my job, and am working towards a Masters degree for the slim hope I can escape. :/

OP... you are right, once you have been working for a while, you outgrow that need to spend your way to a 'good life'. Once you get that first pay check, you know exactly what you can afford and what you can't. Some people just graduate to bigger debts like cars and houses. In my experience, the people who are most bitter are the ones who got caught up in those mortgages and have no choice but to bust their ass to pay the bills.

Anyways, I have to disagree with what most people say, which is do what you love. You need to look at what you're good at and find a career in that. No job is perfect all the time, but at least if you are competent at what you're doing you can find some satisfaction (and $) in that. Regardless of what you choose, don't ever get comfortable - keep learning and improving yourself.

I worked a job once that scored me 6 figures. I worked 60-90 weeks, lived in the trendiest spot in the trendiest part of town, and had more money than God. I loved the work. It was terrible. After a year or so, I woke up and realized that past year never existed outside of my bank account.

My grandfather told me around this time that there was one thing he could promise me. At the moment of death, he could guarantee that of all the potential thoughts that would flash through the mind, the absolutely impossible one was "Man, I wished I spent more time at work".

I got a job where I make half what I used to, work exactly 40 hours (and not a minute more), and I'm home 10 minutes after I get off work. The work is ok, I don't love it and I don't hate it. More importantly, I have more free time than I know what to do with. It's awesome. My wife and I spend hours a day together when it was once minutes (if at all, and I didn't see her more often than I did). I read more, game more, and play more in a week now than I did that whole year.

Work to live. Don't live to work. The rest will work itself out. Toys are nice, but who cares who has the biggest *insert your fetish here* when you don't have time to play with it?

Right now I'm doing some programming/IT work, it's just for money and I have no interest in it. I have no training in it either, I'm just learning it as I have to and with this particular job I have the freedom to do that. I only have the job because I've worked at the same place over the past few summers doing different things, my brother was their former programming/IT guy, and the boss is my gf's dad. So I haven't earned any of it, besides just being a decent worker. I work from home, it's pretty laid back, and I make about $30k a year (which is decent around here, especially combined with my gf's graduate stipend, which brings the total up to about $53k pre-tax). I've been doing it about 6 months now and I honestly hope it doesn't last longer than another year.

If I actually liked programming and shit then it wouldn't be that bad, but I'm trying to get into grad school for what I like more and I'm honestly awaiting the time their expectations outgrow my knowledge and interest in doing the job.

To the OP I think there has to be a balance between loving what you do and making enough money to live decently. If you love what you do then making money will be less of a concern as you probably won't have that hole you have to fill with a bunch of shit you think you need to buy. You can't work for nothing, of course, but beyond a certain necessary amount, pay should be an afterthought. The work itself and the hours should be your main concerns.

[quote name='speedracer']I worked a job once that scored me 6 figures. I worked 60-90 weeks, lived in the trendiest spot in the trendiest part of town, and had more money than God. I loved the work. It was terrible. After a year or so, I woke up and realized that past year never existed outside of my bank account.

My grandfather told me around this time that there was one thing he could promise me. At the moment of death, he could guarantee that of all the potential thoughts that would flash through the mind, the absolutely impossible one was "Man, I wished I spent more time at work".

I got a job where I make half what I used to, work exactly 40 hours (and not a minute more), and I'm home 10 minutes after I get off work. The work is ok, I don't love it and I don't hate it. More importantly, I have more free time than I know what to do with. It's awesome. My wife and I spend hours a day together when it was once minutes (if at all, and I didn't see her more often than I did). I read more, game more, and play more in a week now than I did that whole year.

Work to live. Don't live to work. The rest will work itself out. Toys are nice, but who cares who has the biggest *insert your fetish here* when you don't have time to play with it?[/QUOTE]

And that is why I'm planning on quitting my job this week. I value the time with my fiance and family much more than money; my mother got diagnosed with cancer and I would like to at least be there for her. I'm not even getting paid that much, less than in private accounting. You go into the Big 4 for the "experience." But I'm not interested in the experience when you're expected to work over 40 hours a week non-busy season, and you're automatically "scheduled" for 55 during the busy season (but it's much more, plus weekends). It probably works out to minimum wage or lower during the busy season with $0 overtime pay. My fiance worked for a company that would make him work 60-70 hour weeks, but at least they gave overtime pay. Even then, the mental abuse from his bosses was too much for him even though he was making like $20k extra in overtime a year. My fiance told me that I better quit before busy season starts (after the new year) because he knows I'll go insane. He said he would support us while I look for a job that is less soul-sucking, plus we have savings. Hopefully things will work out. I get my final CPA exam score this week, and if it's passing, that'll be a nice boon for my resume, so I'm gonna hold off on any accounting-related applications till then.

Get the job you will love. Any job is going to have the "paying your dues" phase. You will do the shit work, make too little money and probably be somewhat stressed. But if you love your coworkers/place of employment, learn the lessons you need while being the low man on totem pole, and can see yourself doing it long term then you are set. Finding the right place is pretty paramount. The corporate culture of some places might just not fit you, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are in the wrong career path.

For the record, I work as Team Lead on a small IT consulting help desk. The hours are sometimes long and crappy, with plenty of after-hours and weekend work. I like the people I work with, so I don't loathe coming in every day. Honestly, I'm still finding my niche of where I'd like to specialize in the industry (which isn't good at my age of 29)....but it's not all going to snap into place for you the moment you walk out the door with a degree. Some people take time to find their place in the world.

I work 40 hours a week in a hospital lab. Only 30 of which is actual work. The place is always overstaffed, more staff than the work requires just in case things get busy. Can't have those over 65 year old people working too hard. People come in late and leave early nearly every day. There's no room for advancement unless a manager quits, retires or is fired.
And I really don't think I'd want to move into management and have to listen to complaints of the floor mats being too thick and the plastic pipetes not being aranged neatly.

[quote name='ispeshaled']I currently work as a Pharmacy Technician for a major pharmacy chain. The work is fast paced, can be stressful at times, and doesn't pay very well. I do all the dirty work and make peanuts while the Pharmacist in charge makes a nice 6 figure salary.

I can't wait to get my ass into Pharmacy school.

Anyways...do what you like because money isn't everything. It just buys a lot of nice stuff :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Chuplayer']And that's what's wrong with the world.[/QUOTE]

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but there's a reason why pharmacists get more money than techs. Not to be rude. I was a tech at a big chain for a year before I started pharmacy school, so I can see it from both sides. Pharmacy school is a long time and an investment. I think the average debt is $100,000. Also, if a tech screws up, the pharmacists could possibly lose their license. There was one pharmacist that went to jail because of a tech's error. The biggest reason for the pharmacist salary is supply and demand (that's no longer there).

Anyways, I hope to finish pharmacy school in 3.5 years from now and do two years of residency to be a solid organ transplant pharmacists. My dad had a kidney transplant earlier this year, and it made me realize that I really wanted to work in health care, and pharmacy allowed me to specialize in transplants. I believe I made the right choice. I'm loving school and everything I'm learning right now. I was more focused on doing something I would enjoy vs money. Luckily, I can earn a really good living and still do what I love, so it's win win. :D

Currently work as a QA Tester for a game company. Not the best job ever, but I like coming in to work every day, mostly because the people in the game industry are awesome.

My ultimate goal is to be a level designer or level artist. I have a degree in Digital Arts, but its hard to get that kind of position right out of school unless you are super talented.

[quote name='DarlingNina']I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but there's a reason why pharmacists get more money than techs. Not to be rude. I was a tech at a big chain for a year before I started pharmacy school, so I can see it from both sides. Pharmacy school is a long time and an investment. I think the average debt is $100,000. Also, if a tech screws up, the pharmacists could possibly lose their license. There was one pharmacist that went to jail because of a tech's error. The biggest reason for the pharmacist salary is supply and demand (that's no longer there).[/QUOTE]

And those are the other things that are wrong with the world.

The justification for high pay shouldn't be the amount of debt you go into to get it.

If the tech screws up, then it should be his head as long as the pharmacist couldn't do anything to prevent it.

And if you can go to jail simply because somebody under you screws up, then that is not a job that anybody in their right mind should take, much less go into six figures of debt for.

It should be a human nature thing, but it isn't, so pay the techs a decent wage so they don't take it out on sick people when their wife cheats on them or something.

[quote name='Chuplayer']
The justification for high pay shouldn't be the amount of debt you go into to get it.
[/QUOTE]

Well it's not just that...it's also the amount of schooling needed to get the position.

But yeah, the amount of debt required to get degrees in pharmacy or medicine is ridiculous, when you can get a Ph D while getting free tuition and a stipend. Albeit you get a lower paying job at the end.

[quote name='Chuplayer']And those are the other things that are wrong with the world.

If the tech screws up, then it should be his head as long as the pharmacist couldn't do anything to prevent it.

And if you can go to jail simply because somebody under you screws up, then that is not a job that anybody in their right mind should take, much less go into six figures of debt for.

It should be a human nature thing, but it isn't, so pay the techs a decent wage so they don't take it out on sick people when their wife cheats on them or something.[/QUOTE]

I also believe techs should be paid a fair wage. However, I don't think it's fair to compare a tech's wage vs that of a pharmacists and assume that pharmacists have it easy or earning something they don't deserve. Technicians can get hired without any prior pharmacy experience. I didn't have any when I started working.

Also, I know high debt isn't a reason why you should get paid so much. However, there's a lot of time and effort spent going through pharmacy school, and usually the amount of time you spend in school (the traditional amount, not because you spend 10 years in a 4 year program) correlates to how much money you make (as far as the health professions are concerned). As I stated before, the biggest reason pharmacists are paid as much was because there was a low supply of pharmacists. However, the supply is starting to surpass the demand. Therefore, the rise in salary will most likely stall for a long time.

As far as being held responsible for what people under you do, it happens all the time. That's the risk you take when you in certain positions. That's why certain professions have so much training.

[quote name='speedracer']I worked a job once that scored me 6 figures. I worked 60-90 weeks, lived in the trendiest spot in the trendiest part of town, and had more money than God. I loved the work. It was terrible. After a year or so, I woke up and realized that past year never existed outside of my bank account.

Work to live. Don't live to work. The rest will work itself out. Toys are nice, but who cares who has the biggest *insert your fetish here* when you don't have time to play with it?[/QUOTE]

Separated at birth? I left my big money job in the city and took a lesser money job just outside the city which I am currently trying to get out of as well. I still work about 60 hours a week but at least I see my family more now. I'm looking to get something a little more sane in the 45-50 hour range. Oh, and I'd like to be able to take a vacation day every once in a while since the place I'm at now doesn't allow for that. I'm not opposed to working my ass off I just want to see a light at the end of the tunnel or at least enjoy what I do (which I kind of do but the people... yuck) or maybe that I'm working towards some sort of career goal and I'm not getting any of that at the moment...

I enjoy my work, getting roughly 45 hours a week and decent pay with benefits (and free games). I spend a lot of time looking up game prices and reading game reviews, I cannot complain.

Advise for looking for a job, first look for something that you might enjoy, remember that money is not always the most important thing. You can almost always quit and start over somewhere else. With unemployment being so high nationwide you might want to start working somewhere while looking for that "ideal" job. Hopefully you will find something that is rewarding both financially and personally.

currently in the middle of finals as a 1L and every single sign in the world is telling me "don't go into law." Even the cab driver this morning was telling me I looked unhappy and that I need to find something I at least like, haha. It has been that way for about the whole year though. Literally. Every lawyer I met and every forum I've been on has said "don't go to law school." :lol: But I worked hard to get here for the past two years and...I totally hate it. the people, the subject matter, the environment...everything. It's crazy; I'm a hateful person, but even I'm appalled at the level of hate I've attained this semester. I'm not even sure if I'll pass my classes (not for a lack of trying.)

The point being, I thought I could force myself through the law school grinder and force myself into law, make money, and somehow develop a more fulfilling life in my free time, but that is looking impossible. So I'm currently in the middle of getting a nice wake up call--that I can't fake it in law and be happy. Even if I don't fail out, I may just drop out...to keep myself from going insane. Of course, this means going back to square one with just about no prospects or money. Maybe I'll get a shit job and study for the GRE.

[quote name='ninja dog']currently in the middle of finals as a 1L and every single sign in the world is telling me "don't go into law." Even the cab driver this morning was telling me I looked unhappy and that I need to find something I at least like, haha. It has been that way for about the whole year though. Literally. Every lawyer I met and every forum I've been on has said "don't go to law school." :lol: But I worked hard to get here for the past two years and...I totally hate it. the people, the subject matter, the environment...everything. It's crazy; I'm a hateful person, but even I'm appalled at the level of hate I've attained this semester. I'm not even sure if I'll pass my classes (not for a lack of trying.)

The point being, I thought I could force myself through the law school grinder and force myself into law, make money, and somehow develop a more fulfilling life in my free time, but that is looking impossible. So I'm currently in the middle of getting a nice wake up call--that I can't fake it in law and be happy. Even if I don't fail out, I may just drop out...to keep myself from going insane. Of course, this means going back to square one with just about no prospects or money. Maybe I'll get a shit job and study for the GRE.[/QUOTE]

Don't quit. You've come this far. I hate it too but you will be way better off down the road with your JD if you are applying for some non-legal position than all of the other applicants who aren't lawyers. If you were thinking about going I'd advise against it but now that you are there you should kick the shit out of it, get a good job, pay some bills, buy some shit and then figure out what you want to do with your life.

Don't half-ass it though - unless you are at a Top 10 law school then you better study as hard as you can otherwise you will be looking at 50K a year when you get out which is where you'd probably be if you worked for those 3 years in whatever field you got your college degree in... unless you graduated with some bullshit sociology or art history degree. ;)

[quote name='javeryh']Don't quit. You've come this far. I hate it too but you will be way better off down the road with your JD if you are applying for some non-legal position than all of the other applicants who aren't lawyers. If you were thinking about going I'd advise against it but now that you are there you should kick the shit out of it, get a good job, pay some bills, buy some shit and then figure out what you want to do with your life.

Don't half-ass it though - unless you are at a Top 10 law school then you better study as hard as you can otherwise you will be looking at 50K a year when you get out which is where you'd probably be if you worked for those 3 years in whatever field you got your college degree in... unless you graduated with some bullshit sociology or art history degree. ;)[/QUOTE]

how'd you know I graduated with some bullshit sociology degree :lol: Sounds nice, if I don't fail out, I'll consider it.

I'm going to go become a monk and preserve the Latin language one book at a time. I haven't figured out that food bit yet

[quote name='i_bent_my_wookie']I enjoy my work, getting roughly 45 hours a week and decent pay with benefits (and free games). I spend a lot of time looking up game prices and reading game reviews, I cannot complain.

Advise for looking for a job, first look for something that you might enjoy, remember that money is not always the most important thing. You can almost always quit and start over somewhere else. With unemployment being so high nationwide you might want to start working somewhere while looking for that "ideal" job. Hopefully you will find something that is rewarding both financially and personally.[/QUOTE]

Ok, what exactly is your job position and how can I get me some of that? :lol: I've LOVE to work in the gaming industry but it seems no company I've looked at is hiring accountants right now.

[quote name='DarlingNina']I also believe techs should be paid a fair wage. However, I don't think it's fair to compare a tech's wage vs that of a pharmacists and assume that pharmacists have it easy or earning something they don't deserve. Technicians can get hired without any prior pharmacy experience. I didn't have any when I started working.

Also, I know high debt isn't a reason why you should get paid so much. However, there's a lot of time and effort spent going through pharmacy school, and usually the amount of time you spend in school (the traditional amount, not because you spend 10 years in a 4 year program) correlates to how much money you make (as far as the health professions are concerned). As I stated before, the biggest reason pharmacists are paid as much was because there was a low supply of pharmacists. However, the supply is starting to surpass the demand. Therefore, the rise in salary will most likely stall for a long time.

As far as being held responsible for what people under you do, it happens all the time. That's the risk you take when you in certain positions. That's why certain professions have so much training.[/QUOTE]

My post wasn't meant to imply that Pharmacists are undeserving of their salaries. They go through a ton of schooling and are expected to know and offer expert advice on pretty much anything drug related. They're essential to the healthcare community. I hope I get there in a couple of years.

I'm just harping because I'm currently obtaining my pre-pharmacy school experience at one of the busiest, most hectic pharmacies in the city...for what I consider to be pretty weak pay.

On an unrelated note, today at work I sold 2 boxes of condoms and 2 morning after pills. The universe is now in equilibrium.

[quote name='ispeshaled']My post wasn't meant to imply that Pharmacists are undeserving of their salaries. They go through a ton of schooling and are expected to know and offer expert advice on pretty much anything drug related. They're essential to the healthcare community. I hope I get there in a couple of years.

I'm just harping because I'm currently obtaining my pre-pharmacy school experience at one of the busiest, most hectic pharmacies in the city...for what I consider to be pretty weak pay.

On an unrelated note, today at work I sold 2 boxes of condoms and 2 morning after pills. The universe is now in equilibrium.[/QUOTE]

My response was more geared towards chuplayer, but I quoted you both since he was replying to your statement. I do believe that pharmacies should pay their techs more. I think if someone is putting in the work and effort, their income should reflect that. Plus, I think it makes you work harder when you're being paid more. If pharmacy is something you really want to do, it'll be worth it in the end. :)

The E word. Can't live with it, Can't live without it.

I'm more than happy to be employed right now. Especially seeing the unemployment rate. I'm in a position that I don't mind going to work but if I could find a higher paying job I would leave in a second. Now my job is not stressful and I do like the majority of my co-workers and 3 out of 4 managers. Money is a powerful thing. I did not finish college but I plan to in the future. Most my peers coming out of college are no better off than me at this point in time. Hopefully, one day everything will be back to normal and I could find better employment with flexibility to finish college. But when your a single father with a child to take care of, that child is most important. I'm eligible for welfare as well, but being middle class all my life I've never decided to take that route and know nothing about it.

My dream job would be to do nothing and get paid for it, but sometimes dreams don't come true. Eventually when I start up my business or venture into real estate with my brother I can see all that come to life.

Ok, I gave my two weeks' notice. It still hasn't hit me yet and I'm not sure when it will. The HR lady didn't seem surprised at all, which makes sense considering that not even half of new hires stay for more than 3 years. I'm getting my final CPA exam score at some point this week (hopefully, the slow fucks); once I can put on my resume that I passed all four parts of the exam, resumes are gonna be going out left and right. It's probably gonna take me a long time to find a job in this economy despite my GPA and CPA credentials. But I'm damn fucking lucky that I have family who are willing to support me, and they (not me) are insisting that I take advantage of that and find a job I won't be miserable with.

I do substitute teaching while looking for an actual job somewhere semi-local (not too many jobs as of late, probably won't be for another several months or more) coupled with retail. They both don't pay that well but I love what I do at both positions, the students really like me, and at least my overhead is mostly covered. Just like a previous poster already said, I'm still in the "low-paid bitch work" area after graduation but at least it pays the bills!

And once I get an actual position somewhere and swap out retail with tutoring, I'll be made in the shade. Personally, I'd rather do the things I like and make sure my bills are paid than leave my field for a few years, make marginally more money for 40 hours a week rather than 60+, and be screwed later on when trying to get back into teaching.

To those of you considering Pharmacy, my dad is a pharmacist, and it does make you good money, but he always complains about how boring the work is.

21 yr old Full-time college student. I work as a Sales Rep for T-Mobile. I make hourly + commission + bonuses + cheap phone bill. Working part-time you can easily make about 30k-50k. Before this I was unemployed for over a year. Its not what you know but who you know! I love my job, its also pretty easy.

Good luck, Also mention your age and education so we can help you better

I'd advise against getting a specialized degree as well. I have a 2 year degree in Medical Technology which is good for doing... laboratory work. And that's that. I'm working at a place that pays me equivilent to someone with a 4 year degree (which nulls all motivation to go back to school)

The only thing I dont like about the work is the people I have to work with and their fear of computers, technology and change. (The average age there is 45 and most people have been there 20+ years or more) The regulations and double checking are maddening at times as well.

IT infrastructure work for me.

I generally enjoy what I do. If I work more than 40 hours a week (which is a rarity), I can take the extra hours off somewhere else. I make good (salary) money for somebody that's been out of college for a year. Benefits are nice, and I am just 15 miles from the town where I grew up.

Plus, I have very little boss interaction/supervision...as he's in another state. He's a nice guy though, so I do enjoy it when I see him (twice a year).

bread's done
Back