How do you build a wooden cabinet?

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey all,

I'm looking to make a jukebox type thing for my family over winter break, basically consisting of a PC inside of a wooden case with a touchscreen LCD. I think it should be pretty simple: make a cabinet-type thing which is pointless except for raising the thing up, make a shelf-area lined with that galvanized sheet metal stuff (forgot what it's called at the moment) so it doesn't burn the wood except for on the bottom where it will be touching the wood so it doesn't short. Then just add fans. Make a triangular enclosure to place on top of it to place your LCD in. Voila, you're done. Just boot it up with proper software.

The only thing I'm wondering about is how easy it is to build one of these cabinets. I have next to no experience with woodwork, but I thing I should be able to draw lines and cut along them with relative ease. Only hindrance I would have is the fact that I'd be using a handsaw. Is there anything special to know? What kind of support do you need to create for the thing if it stands 5 feet high? Little triangular blocks every so often to keep it sturdy, glued together with epoxy?

The cutting shouldn't be a problem. Most yards will do a cut a buck but if you go into Home Depot on a slow night and find someone who's cool they'll cut for free.

As far as the cabinet itself goes I really can't understand from your description what you're trying to build. A five foot tall cabinet? Just a big box? Or a smaller box on legs?

Basically what I'm trying to build is a large rectangular box, minus the bottom and the back sides (the back side being 5 feet tall and 1 foot wide or so). The bottom 4 feet of the box will be empty space just used to raise it up, whereas the top 1 cubic foot will be space to put the computer components in. It will rest on a slotted platform. I'm thinking of placing a fan in the slotted platform pointing downward, directing the air into the bottom 4 feet of nothingness. Then another fan, or simply a hole, will provide an exhaust for accumulated heat.

I wish I had a scanner.

EDIT:

This is basically what I want it to look like
27.jpg

mame_cabinet_on_a_budget.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Full_Throttle']Hey all,

I'm looking to make a jukebox type thing for my family over winter break, basically consisting of a PC inside of a wooden case with a touchscreen LCD. I think it should be pretty simple: make a cabinet-type thing which is pointless except for raising the thing up, make a shelf-area lined with that galvanized sheet metal stuff (forgot what it's called at the moment) so it doesn't burn the wood except for on the bottom where it will be touching the wood so it doesn't short. Then just add fans. Make a triangular enclosure to place on top of it to place your LCD in. Voila, you're done. Just boot it up with proper software.

The only thing I'm wondering about is how easy it is to build one of these cabinets. I have next to no experience with woodwork, but I thing I should be able to draw lines and cut along them with relative ease. Only hindrance I would have is the fact that I'd be using a handsaw. Is there anything special to know? What kind of support do you need to create for the thing if it stands 5 feet high? Little triangular blocks every so often to keep it sturdy, glued together with epoxy?[/QUOTE]
Make sure the bulletproof vest you wear is resistant to punctures and tearing.

bread's done
Back