How do YOU deal with Live aggression?

kPod

CAGiversary!
We all know the scenario. You're playing Halo 3 on shotty snipers, or Gears of War on Warzone, and it's getting annoying. You're playing during peak time (when EVERYONE is playing it) and your shots are getting just a /leetle/ bit lagged. You're missing the headshots on shotty snipers, or that shotgun just isn't firing on Gears, and you're getting killed.

Over and over.

My question to the Live community is this: How do you deal with it? How /do/ you deal with the insults in Lobby? Do you respond? Do you mute your mic so they don't hear you? Do you just shut up and wait until you're out the lobby?

What if you're in a team game and you're sucking? Do you swear when you miss each headshot? If it's Gears, do you just quit out and get something to drink?

I'll start.

I swear a lot on Gears when I'm lagging. When my shots are just slightly off, I kick off with my mouth.

In Halo 3, when I miss headshots, I tend to just sing 'I can't aim. It's dead good' to This Old Man. Yeah.

For all other games, I just use unintelligible grunts.

So what about you?

If I'm sucking that night and I'm playing with people who are serious about competition, then I leave and join a more casual match.

There is a place for casual play, and there is a place for hard-core competition.

I never get "aggresssion", though, on XBL (which is odd considering how explosively vulgar I get on online forums).

I never really get agressive with other players in those scenarios. If it because I suck then I go play in a more well suited match. If it is cause of Lag, I just usually quit and then play later. If it is because my team is being stupid, then I might get a little angry but nothing more then "You Idiot, this is how you do it etc."

However my little bro gets really angry and live and will just explode and starting yelling at people.

[quote name='javeryh']I do nothing. It's just a videogame and not really worth the energy to get riled up about.[/quote]QFT.

If you're legitimately getting angry playing a game, go outside. If you're just trash talking having a good time, especially, with friends, that's different.

I'm not overly good at GoW or Halo 3, but I usually hold my own. With that said, I don't have any pride to overcome that I need to blame it on anything/anyone, so I just get pissed at myself.

Sometimes I think about firing my controller through my HDTV, but it hasn't happened yet.

[quote name='javeryh']I do nothing. It's just a videogame and not really worth the energy to get riled up about.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I play to have fun. I don't care about winning or losing. Though I do prefer to win and will do anything possible to win (especially in team games). I will often sacrifice myself to help out a team mate, which is why I usually get a lot of deaths and assists a game.

But yeah, don't get angry over a videogame, its not worth it.

I admit some times I get angry but when that happens I either unplug the mic or I just shut off the game and go do something else.

If the people in my match are pissing me off i lose the headset, because as valuable as voice com. can be, it can be equally distracting and annoying. i find its sometimes easier to get in the zone when all is quiet except for gunshots, thrown grenade rattleings, footsteps, distant explosions, ect... If its your performance that is pissing you off, be it because of lag or the competition you happen to be up against, the best remedy for in game aggravation is putting down the controller and walking away. Go outside, smoke a cigarette, grab a cold beer out of the fridge that your girlfriend just re-stocked and told you not to go through so fast.. do anything but play the game for like 10 - 15 minutes. then go backto it. When i used to play fps's like DOD, OP4, CS, and the rest on my pc everyday, i often noticed that the times when i was best was when i hadnt played in like 2 or more days. It always seemed like i would sign on after a break and be like whoa, i forgot i ruled at this game. Being mad makes your gameplay sloppy so you have to quit playin until you are no longer mad, then get back on calm and collected and..
Do Work.

[quote name='pimpinc333']UK people tend to get very angry when they lose or suck at Halo 3.[/quote]Is that statement simply because I am /from/ the UK, or is it a genuine observation? : P

I admit I get angry, but not at other people. Well... anger isn't the word. Annoyed is more like it. I like a match where I'm up against the odds, and I have to pull out something good to win (5 vs 2 shotty snipers on Narrows, me + a friend = the winning team), but when the game is one of those odds, and my connection is causing me to miss shots, that's when I get annoyed.

[quote name='kPod']Is that statement simply because I am /from/ the UK, or is it a genuine observation? : P

I admit I get angry, but not at other people. Well... anger isn't the word. Annoyed is more like it. I like a match where I'm up against the odds, and I have to pull out something good to win (5 vs 2 shotty snipers on Narrows, me + a friend = the winning team), but when the game is one of those odds, and my connection is causing me to miss shots, that's when I get annoyed.[/QUOTE]

Both. Also people from the South ( USA ) get very angry also when they lose or suck at Halo 3.

Depends. When it's a basic deathmatch, where I don't need to communicate with anyone, I don't even use my headset. And if I'm doing something team-based, I do it with people I know, avoiding all the general populace ass-hattery.

Ignore it. It's a video game that's supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

And as a general rule of psychology, complex tasks should be performed with a low level of arousal, so getting frustrated and angry will likely only cause you to perform at a descreased level.

[quote name='pimpinc333']UK people tend to get very angry when they lose or suck at Halo 3.[/quote]

Cant really speak for Halo 3 but this is the case in BF2. Also, they tend to like talking shit about Americans too. Not just to me but to anyone in general that says anything to them. I have a few people from the UK on my friends list but they dont act nothing like these fools.

But back to the subject, If its because I suck then I get mad at myself. If its because of lag then Im just annoyed. Im not that good anyways (about 1:1 KD ratio) but I dont think Im bad either. The thing that really does piss me off though is when someone on the other team lags the game out.

I do have Halo 3 but havent even tried to play online yet. I wanna get alot of time with it on single player before I dare to take it online.

I don't give a shit, it's just a game. I never wear my headset either so I don't have to put up with shit from immature fucks.

I think the only time I actually got angry at a game was when I played comptetive Counter-Strike in CAL, but that was because we had money involved on the side.

I usually alternate between singing loudly into my mic with a high pitched voice and calling people "Niggers," "Jews," and "Fags"

I curse up a storm when Im getting pwned online, but with my mic muted. I never call other people names or insult them online. If I continue to get pwned I will stop playing or join a different game.

I dont get mad at lag & bad connections, it happens. I get mad at myself for sucking, or I get mad at campers, spawm campers, really good snipers, people who play in annoying ways, etc.

If someone is being obnoxious and loud I will mute them, or leave for another game. Although I will report someone for being racist, thats uncalled for. And I understand the difference between someone saying 'that boys my Nigga' and someone else being racist and calling people 'fucking lazy niggers'.

How do I deal with aggressors? In Halo 3, I mute them. I generally have my audio settings on "Team and Party" (why the hell doesn't that setting get saved?). The fact is, hearing the other team just isn't worth it. For every "good game" there's ten "I fucked your Mom in the pussy last night"s. So I don't hang around and talk or listen in lobbies.

When I suck at Halo 3, I'm generally okay with it. I know I'm not that good, so I'm alright with losing several skirmishes. When I die for the same stupid reason for the tenth time in a match (I cannot figure out the Halo 3 melees), I'll yell at the television... a lot... always with the mic off, assuming I remember.

When I'm getting griefed, say spawn camped to hell, I'll let my team know we need to kill the jack/ass/hole sniper/Banshee/laser, but that's generally as much as I like to vent my frustrations to the XBL populous. I never leave games.

[quote name='Apossum']I usually alternate between singing loudly into my mic with a high pitched voice and calling people "Niggers," "Jews," and "Fags"[/quote]

I think Ive played with you a few times :D

If I'm not playing with friends (Read: CAGs), then I'll just hit B, back out of the lobby and start matchmaking again.

I generally just laugh at them when they get mad. It usually makes things more exciting!

I've found that just being yourself and not caring pays off in the end. I met one of those "haha i just owned you" kind of guys, and he got all bent out of shape about Bubble Shield. (He didn't play Halo 3 campaign so the new stuff was NEW to him) I explained power ups to him without being mean back, and next thing you know he's a cool ass dude and adds me on Gamertag.

I never get mad at games. I get frustrated sometimes. It's a video-game you know? Chill and play it. If you're not having fun, you really shouldn't be playing.

I mute the lobby most of the time in Halo 3. I don't need to hear dumbasses singing, playing their stupid ass music, or being obnoxious.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I mute the lobby most of the time in Halo 3. I don't need to hear dumbasses singing, playing their stupid ass music, or being obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

ugh, the music thing is the worst! I don't understand the logic behind that...no one wants a steady source of noise coming through their headset.

[quote name='Puffa469']I curse up a storm when Im getting pwned online, but with my mic muted. I never call other people names or insult them online. If I continue to get pwned I will stop playing or join a different game.

I dont get mad at lag & bad connections, it happens. I get mad at myself for sucking, or I get mad at campers, spawm campers, really good snipers, people who play in annoying ways, etc.

If someone is being obnoxious and loud I will mute them, or leave for another game. Although I will report someone for being racist, thats uncalled for. And I understand the difference between someone saying 'that boys my Nigga' and someone else being racist and calling people 'fucking lazy niggers'.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much the same. I get pretty pissed off when I'm sucking, and I generally curse, etc. If I don't start doing good, I'll turn the game off and walk away. I know it's just a game, but I get worked up pretty easily.

In Halo 3 I have it so everyone is muted. In other games I turn on my wireless mic and then just mute it and put it to the side. I only talk with people I know aren't fucking idiots.

I curse at everyone in the lobby. But it's all in fun, like "bitch, bitch, bitch, [random opponent] is a bitch, I'm the best and I'm going to kick your ass."

At the end of every Halo match (I play double team a lot), I'll just say "man, you guys suck" (even when I lose) and just keep going on with it. Some people get really mad (those are the best people to make fun of) and some people talk shit back. I've found some really cool people from Halo 2 when my partner and I would keep on making fun of the other team. We'd stay in the postgame lobby talking shit to each other for a while when eventually we'd have a real conversation with the opposing team.

Disclaimer: My speech is never hateful or prejudice. If you don't like what I say, you have every right to mute me.

I just played a terrirtories game with a couple of kids who called me a noob and started following and shooting at me even though we were on the same team. I tried to ignore it but I just kept getting killed because they'd take down my shields. I used the feedback thing after the game, what else could i do?

I've gotten better, but I'll still bitch about laggers when I know damn well they shouldn't being playing with their craptastic connections. A 6 person game of lost planet with 5 non-laggers and 1 fucker means that the odd man out is either doing it on purpose or shouldn't be playing online games.

Overall though, I find that since I have been working more hours I get less time to play, so the little time I do play I just roll with it and enjoy it no matter how annoying it gets. Plus I have the mute process programmed into muscle memory.

I think its funny because you cant win or lose in those yelling or bitching matches. It isn't like high school cause you will never see those people again. I say things to people online I would never say to someone i didn't know in person because they may kill me or themselves after the harsh words I threw at them. Its kinda like a vent if your life isn't going well.

Generally I will ignore them, but sometimes I can't help but trash-talk a little back to them. Especially if they're really stupid after the match, like the one guy who said "You got pwned." (Yes, he pronounced it "poned.")

Mute works great for ignoring shit talkers

Leaving the headset plugged in with the volume lowered all the way is another good trick.

Ultimately, abstinence is the best form of birth control there is. Oh wait...

I hate to sound like a broken record (but one of the reasons I don't play online much anymore is because of all the nonsense from people who are too wired-up on Mt. Dew to realize that it's _just_ a game.)

I have not, since I was probably 11, been overtly peeved at a game enough to be angry about it, much less angry enough to toss controllers or shout nonsense into the mic.

I think I'd stop playing if it got to be that un-fun. :) That makes it seem like work. ;) heheh.

I do remember wanting to shove a Dreamcast controller up my friend's nose (well, not nose, but you get the idea) for erasing my VMU with all my Soul Calibur save data on it... I had a backup, but it was very old... :p That's pretty much it for being that angry over a game, and really, it was more of a sideline to the real problem of pure incompetence from my friend. :p

The twit... I mean, it _asked_ you if you were _sure_... and you STILL said yes?!!?!?

I'm not bitter though... heheh.

I usually ignore the trash talkers but when they're talking crap about me then I'll leave them negative feedback . When I get upset due to me not playing well, my team not playing well,getting pwned, or someone in my house using the internet while I'm playing, I take a break and start listening to music.

I ignore them. I suck, I know I suck and I only play for my own enjoyment. If they want to quit, that's up to them. I don't really care what they think.

It's pretty simple. When I play alone I'm usually doing Lone Wolves to gain some more rank. I just toss on Mute Everyone and I'm good to go. Granted, I don't get to meet interesting people that way, but I also don't have to deal with rampant verbal diarrhea. It also helps because I feel far less inclined to give bad feedback for anything unless it's deserved.

And aggression? It depends. I really only get upset if my friends and I are playing as a team and are opponents are beating us simply because we're not pullling together like we should. Otherwise it's just a game. Should we be upset that we just can't grab their flag? Of course, but only because they're doing something right and we have no Plan B. If we're going to lose if we don't try something new, what's the harm? Gear up, try something different, stow the anger and make it a learning experience! And if it works our attitudes flip around and we're good for the rest of the night.

Well, either that or we just start going solely for clips. If you can't win at least do something film-worthy. ;)

It's a bit off-topic I guess, but when someone is mercilessly hounding another player, not specifically on Halo, but I've heard it a lot on UNO, especially when another player is a female and the offender is a 12 year old kid. I'll go on the mic just to tell them to STFU. Generally someone who's been quiet the whole time coming on with a commanding voice is enough to scare a 12 year old from saying anything for a little time.

what is this missing headshots you speak of? ive never experienced this....

lol no but really. lots of people are just better at games, its no big deal. i always said if people are complaining about lag. try paying more for a better connection. because its not my fault if you have a crappy connection or if your router causes lag because you cant configure it right. if i lose, tough shit for me. if i win, then awesome.

however when i lag in bomberman...... lol we wont open that can of worms

bread's done
Back