How do you get rid of games you are done with?

Mindzeye82

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
How do you go about getting rid of those games you bought, beat, held on your shelves so you felt as if you had a big collection, but now just want to get rid of?

I've got a pretty large library of PS1, PS2, DC, GC, & N64 games and I'm starting to slowly downsize them. I unloaded the rarer and more unique games through Ebay and now I'm stuck with the clunkers. I would be earning only a couple of cents if I ebayed them so I'm looking to alternative methods. I could go to GS/EB and take advantage of their trade in deals, but I don't really buy many games from them because they are generally out of the way and don't advertise their price drops too well. So,

How do you reduce your collection? Do you trade them in, ebay them, give them way, use them as frisbees, break them in half, use them as mini serving trays, or use them for target practice?

:D Is this a big thing every summer? Seems like everyone went from stockpiling every game they could all year (myself included) to attempting to clean things up now that the releases have slowed.

Anyway, I generally trade/sell them here or at EB or GameRush. But I've really only dumped about ten or twenty or so games from my collection, I may or may not do more, but I haven't put enough time into some of them to make a decision on dumping them or not. As I've said before, I've bought all my current gen games so recently that I know exactly how much I paid for them, so I have trouble letting them go for anything less than a tiny loss, but have done pretty well so far.

It's summer time and I suppose it's time to take inventory. I know that I put off a lot of gaming until the summer because I get a little more time. I turn to my game shelves and I look start to play through titles. Around now I realize that I won't be able to play the 30+ I haven't touched. It's at this time I realize my desire to play them just isn't there.

Since I'm going to cave and buy into the next gen this coming fall, I'd like to make room in both my house and my bank account for it. So, it's off to EB tomorrow to get as much trade in as I can.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']It's summer time and I suppose it's time to take inventory. I know that I put off a lot of gaming until the summer because I get a little more time. I turn to my game shelves and I look start to play through titles. Around now I realize that I won't be able to play the 30+ I haven't touched. It's at this time I realize my desire to play them just isn't there.

Since I'm going to cave and buy into the next gen this coming fall, I'd like to make room in both my house and my bank account for it. So, it's off to EB tomorrow to get as much trade in as I can.[/QUOTE]

just so you know, I was in gamestop yesterday and there was a sign that said that they were no longer taking trade-ins of PS1 and N64 stuff as of June 1. so they might not take your stuff for those. could be ymmv on whether they'll take it or not.

mostly ebay. i've given a few away here before and have also been taking advantage of this trade 3 get $10 sale.

Some pawn shops are still giving decent money for crummy games, especially the shops that don't distinguish between titles. My local pawn shop gives $5 for ANY current-gen game, $4 for any PS1 game, and the same for N64 games. They haven't wised up to the fact that certain games aren't in demand. How many feet high does the stack of pre-2005 Madden games have to get before this pawn shop realizes they will never sell for asking price of $10?

You could give them to a hospital or other organization, you may not like them and they might really be crap in which case you're not helping a kid get better you're only helping him towards a mental facility, however, it's a good way to get rid of a game that seemingly no one wants.

I can't seem to ever want to get rid of games. I've traded a select few, but it takes me forever to move up to the next-gen, so I always want a good backlog. It goes back to the NES. :(

Best thing to do, is put these games away. That way, you may forget you even owned em, which stops you from trading/selling them. Hey, so far this works for me.

I thought about doing a contest to give a few away here. I need a new logo done for another business I am starting. My graphics skills are pretty weak since I focus on backend development. Do you run something like this by Cheapy or the mods before throwing it up?

Trade them at work or trade on the forums. I use to like collecting all games but now I limit myself to games I really enjoy instead of just keeping shit I got on the cheap for no f'ing reason.

If you are talking about hundreds of games put them up on eBay in a massive lot. Large lots (even filled with crap) can go for a decent amount really.

[quote name='Supercake']Best thing to do, is put these games away. That way, you may forget you even owned em, which stops you from trading/selling them. Hey, so far this works for me.[/QUOTE]

I've tried that and it only works for so long. My problem now is space and I just want a bunch of stuff I’ll never play out of my house. I think I’ll always have a large collection, but I’m getting a lot more picky about what I keep.

I suffer from the collector's disease. This wasn't a problem until I had to move to a much smaller living space. This means a lot of my stuff is in storage and I don't have the space to have all of my consoles usable.

I've come to the point where I've decided to finally part with my SNES, N64, Genesis, Sega-CD, and 32x games and hardware. Any of it I really miss is going to turn up in more compact form on handhelds or underemulation on newer platforms. One MegaMan X Collection is just as good as a pile of SNES carts. A couple dozen old SNES hits can go on a single SD card for use on the Wii.

Others will still place high value on the authenticity of the original machines and media but practicality has won out. I took all of the games from the above machines that had a decent selling price to GameDude in North Hollywood. This brought in over $1,000 but I still have almost 4/5 of the games yet to sell. I'll make a list soon and make of thread on CAG to see if there's any interest. Beyond that, I'm expecting to help my mother unlaod a lot of stuff at swap meets in the near future, so I may try to flog games too while I'm there.

It's become a problem when you start measuring your collection in cubic feet. I've still got about 7.5 cubic feet to reclaim.

Some of the less common machines of yore and their games I'm still keeping. They usually don't exceed a single standard book box (1.5 cubic feet) and have a lot of items far less likely to turn up in emus and remakes any time soon. So the Jaguar and the 3DO get to stay for the foreseeable future, and the CD-i with its library of several dozen VCD movies that Best Buy blew out for 50 cents each can still hang. (The CD-i unit itself was a free review unit when they were trying to promote a WebTV-esque add-on.)

After all of that stuff is gone and adding all of the recent CC and GR acquisitions, I may be under 1500 games.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I trade them into estarland.com.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, they actually give you something for some crappy as games. They offered me $7 for my NES Zelda cart and manual, both in terrible shape! It's not much but its better than the $1 GC offered me.:)

[quote name='Brak']Hole + Desert[/QUOTE]

Atari's ET holds the right to that method...no on else can do it or else they get sued :p

[quote name='ITDEFX']Atari's ET holds the right to that method...no on else can do it or else they get sued :p[/QUOTE]

The Vegas Mob had this down to a science long before Atari was founded. Show some respect or something bad could happen. We aren't saying what, or to who, or by who, but just the same, watch it.

Cardboard Box + Basement.

I too live in a tiny apt. Luckily I have a good sized storage space in the basement of my building, so Im never too far away from my precious plastic booty. I hope the spiders have fun crawling around in 300 nes games and various other old crap.

[quote name='Puffa469']Cardboard Box + Basement.

I too live in a tiny apt. Luckily I have a good sized storage space in the basement of my building, so Im never too far away from my precious plastic booty. I hope the spiders have fun crawling around in 300 nes games and various other old crap.[/QUOTE]

You should use plastic bins. Keep them safe from bugs, water damage, and any other apartment basement dwelling demons.

[quote name='siamesellama']You should use plastic bins. Keep them safe from bugs, water damage, and any other apartment basement dwelling demons.[/quote]

I do have some plastic bins as well. The boxes I got are all the same, we upgraded to flat panel monitors at work and I brought home all the boxes cos I was moving, so it looks like all I own is about 15 NEC 19" Flat Panel displays.

I put the plastic bins on the floor, and all the cardboard boxes sit on top of them in case theres ever any flooding.

[quote name='Vinny']Believe it or not, they actually give you something for some crappy as games. They offered me $7 for my NES Zelda cart and manual, both in terrible shape! It's not much but its better than the $1 GC offered me.:)[/QUOTE]
:shock: I could get $4.28 for a cart-only Pagemasters (SNES) and Swords and Serpents (NES), that Game Crazy wouldn't even accept (they're in good condition, they just don't take all classic games anymore apparently).

bread's done
Back