How do you handle this Ebay question?

chosen1s

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I get this question ALL the time, and I hate it. It usually requires a 10-minute composition with great elaboration and extremely careful words.

In an auction where I stated that a Playstation Disc was "lightly used and guaranteed to play perfectly", I CONSTANTLY deal with the same question:

"Does the disc have any scratches????"

So what do you tell someone when you have, say, Tales of Destiny, in unbelievable nice condition, if you hold the disc in just the right light yes, there are some very faint scratches, but you know if you say "there are light scratches" they are going to go out and buy from some other jerk whose disc is half as nice as yours but isn't afraid to embellish on its condition?

Do you labor through a long and detailed explanation of the disc and call out other sellers' less-than-honest descriptions?

Tell them to read description and make their decision accordingly?

Ignore?

Also, in your general findings, are these people more likely to be reasonable or are they more likely to get a disc, pull out their microscope, and try to find any excuse to throw a fit after they receive their game?

[quote name='chosen1s']
Also, in your general findings, are these people more likely to be reasonable or are they more likely to get a disc, pull out their microscope, and try to find any excuse to throw a fit after they receive their game?[/QUOTE]When it comes to RPG gamers, emphatically yes.

Well, think of it this way, how would you feel about paying money for something that's described as 'lightly used'? It's a vague term... just like good, or excellent condition.

There's no real way for the buyer to know what you mean and that's why they ask. Lightly used could mean 1 scratch or a totally fucked up disc tha works. There's a lot of dipshits on eBay these days who'll call anything lightly used... there are even guys who call stuff mint in the title and then description say it has light scratches.

I always describe my discs accurately and elaborately in the auction, then I don't have to answer questions like that. In fact, the only questions I ever get are about shipping to Canada- even though I continually keep saying no.

Well, do to some shady sellers, I always ask for specifics about a game if there isn't a picture in the description. Why wouldn't you want to tell a potential buyer that yes there are some barely noticable, light scratches that don't affect gameplay? I think as a buyer I have the right to ask if a product I am about to buy has ANY scratches. As a seller it is your job to give an accurate description, even if said description loses you a potential buyer.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Well, do to some shady sellers, I always ask for specifics about a game if there isn't a picture in the description. Why wouldn't you want to tell a potential buyer that yes there are some barely noticable, light scratches that don't affect gameplay? I think as a buyer I have the right to ask if a product I am about to buy has ANY scratches. As a seller it is your job to give an accurate description, even if said description loses you a potential buyer.[/QUOTE]

I have thought about that - the reason I go with the more vague "lightly used" is this leaves you open to the response "Barely noticeable!?!? I want a refund, I can totally see those scratches!"

I am somewhat committed to the vague description because people who buy from me are generally pleasantly surprised when they get their games - and I prefer that to someone throwing a fit because they thought "barely noticeable" meant "not visible in any way".

As for mint, and all that junk, that's why I stopped using those terms altogether. They have been abused to the point that they no longer carry any meaning. When I'm looking for a game, a seller that describes something as "mint" has actually devalued their auction to me because I automatically assume they are being less than genuine (especially if all their auctions are "mint")

Be 100% honest and save any emails showing that you always did your best to describe the item.

If you ignore they probably won't bid.
If you tell the the 100% truth they may or may not bid, if they don't bid, no loss. If they bid and win then decide that it is too scrated and want a refund, refuse and when it comes time show paypal/ebay that you described the item completly.
If you shade the truth some they may bid and win and if they think it is too scratched you may lose the dispute if it came to that.

[quote name='chosen1s']I have thought about that - the reason I go with the more vague "lightly used" is this leaves you open to the response "Barely noticeable!?!? I want a refund, I can totally see those scratches!"
[/quote]

Hehe, well either way, they're both word games. If you want to leave it vague, that's fine. I'm just saying that as a buyer, I would like to think a seller would be completely honest with me if I ask them: "Does this disk have any scratches?"

First of all, you have to be honest to your buyers. If you lie to them or don't tell them straight up, they have the right to get a refund because the item is not how you told them it was. If they ask a specific question, you answer it. Case closed.

The best way is to do a detailed response. Anything else, and if you get a negative rating, don't come crying to us.

I ask every time I'm interested in an auction and the seller doesn't specify the condition more than "used" or "like new". If you ignore it, I'll ignore your auction.

And you don't need to "craft a detailed response." Just say "yes, there are some scratches due to normal play" or something similar. (Although why that isn't in the auction in the first place is another question.)

[quote name='siamesellama']I ask every time I'm interested in an auction and the seller doesn't specify the condition more than "used" or "like new". If you ignore it, I'll ignore your auction.

And you don't need to "craft a detailed response." Just say "yes, there are some scratches due to normal play" or something similar. (Although why that isn't in the auction in the first place is another question.)[/QUOTE]

It's not in the auction for the reason most people have stated above. People are distrustful of Ebay and Ebay descriptions. So I say "there are some scratches due to normal play" and they read "This thing is scratched as heck", I might as well get from someone who is exaggerating "mint" than someone who is exaggerating "scratched from normal use". Also, I just see that as inviting more emails with "can you tell me exactly 'how much' the disc is scratched????"

That's why I go with a general "lightly used" and let the buyer be pleasantly surprised when they get it better than they expected.

just be honest and upfront about it. it's not worth it to me to have to deal with an angry buyer and shipping + refunding everything. not everybody is very picky about their games, so you'll still probably be able to get a good price on the game. it might be a few dollars less, but i find that little loss of money to be worth the avoidance of a pissed buyer leaving negative feedback.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Ignore it, the odds of any one potential bigger greatly effecting the auction ending price are minimal.[/QUOTE]

That's not the best thing to do because then if the seller does win, he can call you out on it and chances are you'll be on the losing end of the stick.

i read the description that i won saying that it is in mint condition. once i got it, it contains about 2 minor scratches. ppl should always put if there are any scratches or no scratches at all.

[quote name='siamesellama']And you don't need to "craft a detailed response." Just say "yes, there are some scratches due to normal play" or something similar. (Although why that isn't in the auction in the first place is another question.)[/quote]

Exactly... the very way you worded your poll sort of shows the bias "the buyer is always an idiot." Which is actually usually the case, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

I would say "There is very light wear, but I tested it and it plays perfectly, and I'll be happy to refund your money if it doesn't play and you return it." They never will-- they probably won't even win the auction-- but it makes you look like a very reasonable and trustworthy seller!

I tend to avoid these questions by going overboard in the descriptions-- "great shape, guaranteed to play, child-free nonsmoking household, blah blah blah."

If the thing looks pristine I'll usually say something like "I don't see any scratches, but I hate to ever say anything is absolutely perfect." If it's practically mint I'll say something like "There are small scratches that are barely noticeable and do not affect play." If there are scratches that you can see w/o much trouble (even small ones) I'll say something like "The disc has scratches but they do not affect play." If it's worse than that (but I never sell anything that doesn't play 100%) I'll say "The disc has numerous scratches, but plays fine."

So basically I describe it as worse than it is to avoid bitching later. Works out really well for me and I end up getting quite a few feedback comments with something like "Even better than described!!"

I used to put the condition of the disc on my listings, but it was just too much of a PITA to closely examine each disc and I find that the vast majority of buyers don't care enough about the condition of the underside of the disc for it to affect their purchase. I probably only get asked this once for every 30+ disc games I list.

I love when I get emails for an item described as Brand New. Factory Sealed. US Retail Version. Is it new? Does the disc have an scratched? Um fucker read

bread's done
Back