How do you make a good sandwich?

assassinX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
For some reason I have always had an urge to have a good sandwich, also a great hamburger. How would I begin to make a good sandwich?

All of the sandwiches I make seem to be Ham & Cheese sandwiches, and they pretty much suck. Any good sandwich recipes would you like to share? :bouncy:

Lettuce, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, avacadoes, pastrami, swiss cheese, mayo, mustard, and a baby.

Deeee-licious!

Edit: Bacon too! Mmm! Mmm!

fresh veggies are always a plus, and the kind you use should depend on the sandwich. Also I like a nice grilled sandwich, throwing it in a toaster broiler or even a foreman to make it all hot and melty.

For a good ham & cheese (use extra sharp cheddar), include some lite mayo, red onions, & fresh spinach. At first I thought it was kinda gross, but once I bit into it, I was surprised at how good it was. Works good w/ white or whole wheat, as is or heated in a toaster oven (my preferred style). Plus, if you're watching what you eat, you can pull out the mayo and replace the cheese w/ one made w/ skim milk and it still tastes relatively the same.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Deep fried sandwiches? for reals?[/quote]

Only if you wanna die on your toilet from a heart attack wearing a sequined jumpsuit.

Butter frying pan lightly. Place 2 slices of bread. Add chedder cheese. Mash bread together. Flip when lightly browned. Continue until all the cheese is melted.

I love grilled cheese.

I usually just buy a bunch of different kind of sandwhich meat and throw it on bread with some mayonnaise. I usually get some salami, pepperoni salami, turkey, some cheese, lettuce, mayo, tomatoes, and sometimes I throw some sliced onions on too.

You could also just buy one of these and add a few condiments. These things almost always taste really good.

popup_deli_delight.jpg

[quote name='assassinX']For some reason I have always had an urge to have a good sandwich, also a great hamburger. How would I begin to make a good sandwich?

All of the sandwiches I make seem to be Ham & Cheese sandwiches, and they pretty much suck. Any good sandwich recipes would you like to share? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Toaster oven is key.

One of my favorites is to stack on as many meats as I have (usually turkey, salami/pepperoni and ham) on white bread or a sub roll, put shredded sharp cheddar on the top, add a little bit of salt/pepper/garlic powder/italian seasoning and then throw it in the toaster oven for 5-8 minutes on toast.

Perfection.

If you think it's a little dry, add a very small amount of mayo or if you like walking on the wild side, add a little bit of Ashanti's hot sauce. http://www.ashantifoods.com/chicken_wing_sauce.htm It complements the sharp cheddar perfectly and taste almost exactly like the hot sauce they use at Denny's.

[quote name='jaykrue']For a good ham & cheese (use extra sharp cheddar), include some lite mayo, red onions, & fresh spinach. At first I thought it was kinda gross, but once I bit into it, I was surprised at how good it was. Works good w/ white or whole wheat, as is or heated in a toaster oven (my preferred style). Plus, if you're watching what you eat, you can pull out the mayo and replace the cheese w/ one made w/ skim milk and it still tastes relatively the same.

Only if you wanna die on your toilet from a heart attack wearing a sequined jumpsuit.[/quote]I agree.

Also another good variation is to use a warm bagel (I like either onion or jalapeño cheddar), spread a bit of cream cheese (American Neufchâtel if you want to go lite) on both halves. Then you stack some alfalfa sprouts, thinly sliced red onion, smoked turkey (or honey turkey, if you wish), extra sharp cheddar (or sharp if you aren't used to stronger cheddar), avacado is nice and thinly sliced tomato. Top it off with a small pile of baby spinach and yum.

There are also other random fixings I like to sub in on sandwiches. Different mushrooms are always a nice change, bell pepper rings, olives, pickles, etc. Just get creative. There are oh so many possibilities besides ham and cheese. Also mix up the cheese flavors. One I really like that I feel is under rated is muenster.

Oh, I just thought of something I sometimes do with a ham and cheese. Skip the mayo, use some good prosciutto and sharp cheddar, open a can of diced ortega chiles and spread a spoonful on the bread (ciabatta bread is best). Lightly grease a pan with some EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) -or butter, whatever- and grill that baby. If you have something heavy to put on the sandwich to press it, that is best. I call it a New Mexico Panino. mmmm...

[quote name='whoknows']You get two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.[/quote]Yeah, if you want to not have a tasty meal, get sick and then die, all in one night. Big Macs are nasty.

And it's not easy to explain a good burger. it is key to prepare/cook the burger part well first.

Always use fresh spinach leaves instead of lettuce.

Unless you can get /fresh/ Bibb lettuce.

I've been working on a burger recipie for months now, so here's where it currently stands:

Into the raw meat, mix some Jack Daniels, three pepper seasoning, adobo seasoning, and some hot sauce, and grill. For the bun, I get french baguettes, then put on some butter, fresh diced garlic, mushrooms, oregano, and some mozzerella cheese, and bake this for a while. Shit still needs some work, but it's pretty damn good for now.

Provolone and prosciutto on a nice ciabatta or focaccia is my favorite...grilled in a nice panini press and with a little aioli on it. It's pretty much the only thing I can make in America that actually tastes sorta like something I could get in Italy...and god I love Italy.

Ok here is like the best cold cut sandwhich ever:

Roast Beef with Mayo and Horseradish, Mustard, Swiss Cheese, Lettuce and Tomato and finally baby swiss cheese. Put all of that on good sourdough bread and you will never want to eat another sandwhich again.

I used to make sandwich for work everyday, until I moved back home. Now my mom makes me lunch, whooo!!

mayo & mustard, cheese (either pepper jack or provolone or cheddar... whatever I buy from the store), turkey breast, avacado, lettuce, ranch dressing.

it's pretty good, and since I use french rolls it is handheld too so it's easy to eat while driving

[quote name='darthbudge']Ok here is like the best cold cut sandwhich ever:

Roast Beef with Mayo and Horseradish, Mustard, Swiss Cheese, Lettuce and Tomato and finally baby swiss cheese. Put all of that on good sourdough bread and you will never want to eat another sandwhich again.[/quote]

I was going to suggest something similar, roast beef sandwhiches are delicious. I like to use provolone cheese though.

Go to Target.
Pick up a sandwhich maker for $10-$15.

Basically, make anything. Put it on the sandwhich maker and it'll be 100x better.
Seriously.
I LOVE my sandwhich maker!!!

My favorite: I call it the Thrombo
A hoagie roll
grilled chicken breast
jalapenos
bacon
cheese(i like pepperjack)
and ranch
pretty simple to make and comes with free chest pains

My friend used to make awesome burgers, but the only ingredients i can remember were swiss cheese and pesto.

This is the best sandwich of all time:

slice of rye
roast beef
cole slaw
russian dressing
swiss cheese
slice of rye
turkey
cole slaw
russian dressing
swiss cheese
slice of rye

This is the second best sandwich of all time:

fresh baked hero roll
grilled steak sliced super thin
cheez-whiz
sauteed peppers and onions

A good sandwich is easy - a nice fresh roll, turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and jalepenos. No mustard or mayo. Instead, spead some italian dressing over the inside/top section of you fresh roll. Top off with an ice cold pepsi and your golden.

all these recipes are great, but you need to add salt and pepper. some sprinkles of salt and pepper seem to make all sandwiches much better.

A good burger is harder to describe. Depends on your grill, the kind of meat you're using, how you like it cooked, etc. etc. I usually make ground chuck burgers, medium rare, marinated in Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Other times I cook them without the marinade, then eat them with a south american sauce for beef called chimichurri on top. it's a mix of garlic, parsley, vinegar, some pepper etc.

Like this, each layer in order:

All Beef Bologna
American Cheese
All Beef Bologna
American Cheese
All Beef Bologna

I didn't include bread because its not needed. Also, throw it on the foreman for 45 sec or so on high, that might require bread to prevent burns. Mmmm mmmm.

bread's done
Back