How does a PSP noob start?

donssword

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
So, I'm thinking real hard about picking up a couple of PSP 2000s.

I want to play the JP import Xi (Sai) Coliseum, maybe some WipeOut.
My daughter would likely want to play the Persona games.
My son would likely want to play Invisimals (sp?)

I'm not a fan of used, but it is likely the way I will go as I only see myself buying a small handful of titles.

What should I look for in a used PSP? Other than ebay, where are the best deals? Is GameStop really an option--I'm not normally a fan of how they sell product (I'm pretty picky), but I do pick up a Wavebird or occasional game there if I can buy parts/manuals/inserts elsewhere to do a restoration.

Thoughts?

Why wouldn't you buy PSP 3000s? The screen is better with richer, more saturated colors. Also, 3000s have gone on sale several times recently for $99 each, a great deal.

As for used, the only warning I would make is that if you can't see it in person and inspect it for scratches/damage and functionality, I wouldn't buy it. Ordering used consoles online is a crapshoot; you could get one in great condition, or it could be messed up. Probably Amazon is the best source for used ones, since they grade them well.

Don't buy from Gamestop unless they let you check the system out first; if they refuse, just walk away.

I have a sealed PSP 2000; and I thought these models were worth more on the "market" because they were easier to hack or homebrew or whatever its called.

[quote name='GBAstar']I have a sealed PSP 2000; and I thought these models were worth more on the "market" because they were easier to hack or homebrew or whatever its called.[/QUOTE]

They used to be the easiest models next to the PSP-1000's. However, recent findings from the community show that everything from the PSP line, including the Go, can be hacked for custom firmware.

For the OP, I'd follow chimpmeister's advice on inspecting the system first from anywhere you're going to be buying the system from. Always a good rule of thumb for used stuff. However, I believe that the 2000's had better screens overall than the 3000's but both were certainly much better than the 1000's.

As for games, what exactly qualify in your "small handful"? The Vita won't be a good option for Invizimals since that isn't digital and you wanting Xi will mean physical UMD for sure but those Persona games are also in digital form and playable on the Vita should you ever want to pick that up. Depending on what else is on your "gotta play this" lineup and how often you might go and play those games, getting them digitally might not be a bad idea for future-proofing.

[quote name='donssword']Thanks for all the suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Probably goes without saying, but if you do decide to buy a used PSP from eBay or Amazon marketplace make sure the seller has a lot of great feedback (as a seller). I bought my PSP 1000 off of eBay years ago and it was in great condition exactly as the seller described. I've had really good experiences buying systems off of eBay.

Another alternative is of course search your local craigslist. The nice thing is you can deal in person and test the PSP before you agree to buy it.

im pretty sure some retailers will start putting PSPs on clearance soon if they still have any left in stock; regardless i would purchase a 3000 model since the older models have some minor technical fallbacks

Yea, I'm raising my daughter to be a catch as well. Tall skinny blond with blue eyes. Favorite games? Pokemon and Disgaea.

bread's done
Back