How does one become a moderator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually you have to be a regular forum contributor (with HELPFUL posts), be on the forums regularly, and then just hope that the site's webmaster hearts you ;)

[quote name='Purkeynator']Be tapped by Cheapy D. Only the most active people on the boards have a shot.[/QUOTE]

haha, be tapped? I'm not that kind of guy........

Where's Yoda ? ;) You must learn the...actually you pose a really interesting question, considering I've seen a few with the label but predominantly Ledhed, Trakan and Shrike policing around...

A while back there was a thread where 2 of the moderators were going at it....... I think they were close to banning each other (LOL)

I am not sure how Cheapy picks them. Some mods I see on all the time like Shrike. Others I rarely see online, I see regular posters post more often than some mods.

hmm some how I always thought that The Matrix was documentary of a moderator, most mod's die in the lobby though..poor bastards.

I think cheapy d picks a couple canidates and all the mods vote on who would be the best for the job. I could be wrong but i think thats how it works.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Think I have a chance?[/QUOTE]

Werent you within inches of getting the banhammer from Ledhed last night?

Shrike is definitely the most helpful and readily available mod when I'm online. It would take 10 full-time CAG staff-members to make half the impact that Shrike does; I bet he is a hell of a worker outside of CAG.

If these mods become less active then there would probably be a 'new draft'. The mods now are very different than the mods from a year ago. Some old mods I haven't seen for many months now.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Think I have a chance?[/QUOTE]

Generally, you don't want the other mods to be pissed at you. :roll:

[quote name='bostonfrontier']A while back there was a thread where 2 of the moderators were going at it....... I think they were close to banning each other (LOL)[/QUOTE]

That was the infamous 'Sneaky's Last Stand'. A night to remember, sho' 'nuff.

[quote name='cyberlian']Shrike is definitely the most helpful and readily available mod when I'm online. It would take 10 full-time CAG staff-members to make half the impact that Shrike does; I bet he is a hell of a worker outside of CAG.[/QUOTE]

you hit the nail right on the head. Shrike does more around here than most people realize and he goes out of his way to help people too.

[quote name='onetrackmind']you hit the nail right on the head. Shrike does more around here than most people realize and he goes out of his way to help people too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Shrike's a good mayun. He's done a few things for me. He and Led are my favourite mods.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Generally, you don't want the other mods to be pissed at you. :roll:

That was the infamous 'Sneaky's Last Stand'. A night to remember, sho' 'nuff.[/QUOTE]

Is there a link?

[quote name='cyberlian']Shrike is definitely the most helpful and readily available mod when I'm online. It would take 10 full-time CAG staff-members to make half the impact that Shrike does; I bet he is a hell of a worker outside of CAG.[/QUOTE]

hey dude, use a tissue to wipe your nose

I'm gonna apply to become a moderator....... I'll post what ends up happening, but between you and me, I think I have a great chance

[quote name='Maklershed']Werent you within inches of getting the banhammer from Ledhed last night?[/QUOTE]

I've turned over a new leaf ( within the last 12 hours ) , nothing but positive posts and being helpful on CAG from now on....... I love you all, vote for me to become a moderator

Bostonfrontier for Moderator '05

[quote name='bostonfrontier']between you and me, I think I have a great chance[/QUOTE]

:rofl: You and U2K both.

Oh yeah, and three posts in a row won't help your standing. ;)

[quote name='bostonfrontier']I've turned over a new leaf ( within the last 12 hours ) , nothing but positive posts and being helpful on CAG from now on....... I love you all, vote for me to become a moderator

Bostonfrontier for Moderator '05[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

After that flamewar bait topic you posted yesterday, I probably have a better chance of being made a moderator than you.

[quote name='Maklershed']Werent you within inches of getting the banhammer from Ledhed last night?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's a smilie for it, but I'm tittering right now.

bostonfrontier, you can't just petition to be a mod on the site. CheapyD and the other mods work together to choose those that they see fit to help with the site. We found this out in another thread like this in April when they played a April Fools Joke were everyone could see the Mods Lounge.

[quote name='ZForce']After that flamewar bait topic you posted yesterday, I probably have a better chance of being made a moderator than you.[/QUOTE]

Which one?

I think there would be a lot more logical choices for moderator than you, bostonfrontier. You stir up too much crap. I'm not sure that we need anymore moderators at this point anyway. The forums seem to be under control.

Actually, someone else (another notorious damnfool thread starter not named U2K) started the "why do grown men watch wrestling?" topic.

I had some good coversation goin' too; damn shame about bf and the others (I assure you there were multiple threadcrappers in there).

[quote name='mykevermin']Actually, someone else (another notorious damnfool thread starter not named U2K) started the "why do grown men watch wrestling?" topic.

I had some good coversation goin' too; damn shame about bf and the others (I assure you there were multiple threadcrappers in there).[/QUOTE]

Shit, that's right. I forgot about Kastides. Boston just fucked that thread up worse.

So, in the end, bf, it's a combination of circumstance (does CAG need more mods?), favortism (who do the mods recommend?), availability (are these people consistently on CAG?), and helpfulness (not only being helpful, but not being a name-calling homophobic asshole for no good reason).

I can see you succeeding in availability, but you've got a LOOONG heirarchy to climb in order to even be jokingly considered for a mod position. You probably not only have to be a far more considerate poster from now on, but you should probably publicly make amends for being such a complete and total bastard.

[quote name='mykevermin']I can see you succeeding in availability, but you've got a LOOONG heirarchy to climb in order to even be jokingly considered for a mod position. You probably not only have to be a far more considerate poster from now on, but you should probably publicly make amends for being such a complete and total bastard.[/QUOTE]

And at that point, would it actually be worth it to him? :)

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Maybe I'm missing something here.. but why would one even want to be a mod? Much less actively campaign to become a mod...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind being a mod because then you could just delete spam that you see, or move topics to the correct forums. I like things neat and orderly, so I think it would be nice to be able to contribute to the site in that manner.

I think if anyone should be a mod it might as well be Scorch. He seems to actively search for and report duplicate threads anyway. It'll just give him the ability to lock them too.

[quote name='Maklershed']I think if anyone should be a mod it might as well be Scorch. He seems to actively search for and report duplicate threads anyway. It'll just give him the ability to lock them too.[/QUOTE]

Yes, scorch'd is also part of the CAG vernacular.

[quote name='shipwreck']I wouldn't mind being a mod because then you could just delete spam that you see, or move topics to the correct forums. I like things neat and orderly, so I think it would be nice to be able to contribute to the site in that manner.[/QUOTE]
Just to add a few feelings of my own on the subject... someone who'd like to be mod, usually loves the site and wishes to contribute their time to the site.
A moderator isn't given power when the person is thought to be likely to abuse it.

[quote name='shipwreck']I wouldn't mind being a mod because then you could just delete spam that you see, or move topics to the correct forums. I like things neat and orderly, so I think it would be nice to be able to contribute to the site in that manner.[/QUOTE]

As much as you contribute I would love to see you and Scorch as mods.

Bostonfrontier for Moderator '05

I'll put a postive spin on CAG. Get rid of all the bad guys. Make sure all threads are where they should be and correct all the spelling mistakes and gramatical errors.

Vote for me. This has been my life long dream to be a moderator of CAG, the measuring stick of all websites.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Bostonfrontier for Moderator '05

I'll put a postive spin on CAG. Get rid of all the bad guys. Make sure all threads are where they should be and correct all the spelling mistakes and gramatical errors.

Vote for me. This has been my life long dream to be a moderator of CAG, the measuring stick of all websites.[/QUOTE]
It's not a mods job to correct spelling errors and grammatical errors. You have no idea what you're running for. Perfect politician.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']It's not a mods job to correct spelling errors and grammatical errors. You have no idea what you're running for. Perfect politician.[/QUOTE]

Don't hate, congratulate.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back