How does one take care of goldfish?

yummytyson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Well, yesterday my girlfriend and I went to a chinese new years festival, and I won her a goldfish. Problem is, we don't know anything about taking care of goldfish, it's pretty small, maybe around an inch long. So does anyone here have tips or knows what I should do?

[quote name='yummytyson']Well, yesterday my girlfriend and I went to a chinese new years festival, and I won her a goldfish. Problem is, we don't know anything about taking care of goldfish, it's pretty small, maybe around an inch long. So does anyone here have tips or knows what I should do?[/quote]

Umm go buy some fish food at Wally World. Put it in clean, non-clorinated, cold water. Keep the water clean. Feed it just a pinch every day.

It is pretty simple really.

To take care of goldfish just keep the top of the bag sealed. They'll stay fresh and cruncy for like 2 weeks. What kind do you have .. cheddar?

[quote name='Maklershed']To take care of goldfish just keep the top of the bag sealed. They'll stay fresh and cruncy for like 2 weeks. What kind do you have .. cheddar?[/QUOTE]
Whut? Cheddar?

WATE I GET IT LOLZ

[quote name='darthbudge']Umm go buy some fish food at Wally World. Put it in clean, non-clorinated, cold water. Keep the water clean. Feed it just a pinch every day.

It is pretty simple really.[/quote]

well i've always thought taking care of goldfish took a bigger responsibility. do they need air pumps? and how big of a tank should i purchase.(if it doesn't die before i head to a store)

[quote name='Maklershed']To take care of goldfish just keep the top of the bag sealed. They'll stay fresh and cruncy for like 2 weeks. What kind do you have .. cheddar?[/quote]

haha very funny.

[quote name='yummytyson']well i've always thought taking care of goldfish took a bigger responsibility. do they need air pumps? and how big of a tank should i purchase.(if it doesn't die before i head to a store)

haha very funny.[/quote]

I would say you could probably just put it in a bowl and it should fine. However if you want to get more fish or really make sure this one stays alive for a while, you should get a 10 gallon tank and an air pump and so on.

[quote name='Magehart']I say dump it in a local lake.[/QUOTE]
I say if you love it so much to put it in freaking bowl and feed it, kiss it on its fish mouth and marry it already. Geez.

[quote name='Maklershed']I've had goldfish on three or four seperate occasions in my life and they all died within a week. :([/quote]

MURDERER!!!

WTF dude you're not supposed to pet them!?

Seriously though, OP, this question is much better asked at these forums, (which I am a member and highly recommend) www.aquariumadvice.com.

Ask for Pittpizza.

[quote name='yummytyson']well i've always thought taking care of goldfish took a bigger responsibility. do they need air pumps? and how big of a tank should i purchase.(if it doesn't die before i head to a store)

[/QUOTE]

Nope that's one of the reasons (actually probably the reason) goldfish are so popular. You don't need pumps. I think you are probably supposed to change the water every so often and it's probably best to put him in something bigger than a coffee mug but goldfish can be prety hardy.

DONT NAME IT!
my littel brother has had one of these goldfish for about 2-3 yrs now and the trick is dont name it. every other goldfish had he named and it died within a week. its magic i tell you.

dont get too attached though it could die real quick.

[quote name='yummytyson']well i've always thought taking care of goldfish took a bigger responsibility. do they need air pumps? and how big of a tank should i purchase.(if it doesn't die before i head to a store)[/QUOTE]

the key is you dont spend a shitload of money on a 99 cent fish

[quote name='darthbudge']Umm go buy some fish food at Wally World. Put it in clean, non-clorinated, cold water. Keep the water clean. Feed it just a pinch every day.

It is pretty simple really.[/quote]

Not cold, room temperature. I've had goldfish for probably ten years. If it's a simple gold fish it doesn't need an air pump or even a big tank if there's only one. Get a nice fish bowl, get some pebbles for the bottom so it's decorative, and feed it flakes 1-2 times a day. Maybe grab a plastic plant or a rock bridge or something.

You'll also need some gel-type stuff in a bottle for when you change the water to help the fish keep its coating. You can probably find it at Walmart.

I got two goldfish as a christmas present and they gradually died from neglect within two days.

Im a horrible person...but i dont care, it was a shitty gift.

[quote name='pittpizza']MURDERER!!!

WTF dude you're not supposed to pet them!?

Seriously though, OP, this question is much better asked at these forums, (which I am a member and highly recommend) www.aquariumadvice.com.

Ask for Pittpizza.[/quote]

its a freaking goldfish, just make sure to age the water in like a milk jug for 48hrs and use that water for water changes. Don't over feed it and make sure its stays at room temperature.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']its a freaking goldfish, just make sure to age the water in like a milk jug for 48hrs and use that water for water changes. Don't over feed it and make sure its stays at room temperature.[/QUOTE]

Good advice not too over feed it. Goldfish actually need very little food.

Goldfish tend to be very messy. They require about 10 gal. per fish and don't make good roommates for other types of fish. Feed them sparingly, as they will overeat and make even more of a mess. Room temperature water is generally OK, but you should really get some type of pump and filter if you want to keep it alive for long. (Goldfish in bowls generally don't live very long!)

[quote name='pacifickarma']Goldfish tend to be very messy. They require about 10 gal. per fish and don't make good roommates for other types of fish. Feed them sparingly, as they will overeat and make even more of a mess. Room temperature water is generally OK, but you should really get some type of pump and filter if you want to keep it alive for long. (Goldfish in bowls generally don't live very long!)[/quote]

I must be lucky, then, since I've had maybe 5 or 6 fish over the past ten years, never less than two at a time until now with only 1 left.

[quote name='sasukekun']You dont happen to live in SoCal and went to the Monterey park, CA Chinese New Year Festival?[/quote]

Yes I went to that one, I live in San Gabriel.

bread's done
Back