How does the quality of Roku's HD compare to ATV/BD/Broadcast? Instant Stream Only?

blackbird3216

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Now that the roku box has updated to 1.5 and supports HD, im thinking about getting one. However, I don't have netflix service. I understand that it is an excellent deal for most consumers, but because i live in such close proximity to a library(where i can order dvds from their website, and 3 days later, i can go pick them up) and get dvds for free, im not sure paying 8.99+tax is worth it just for Instant Streaming. I am also unsure where to get HD content, because BD players are still around $200, I do not want to support another console, and cable tv(other than basic) is out of our reach. Would it be worth it just for instant stream? How does the picture compare to other HD sources. :)

I find that the quality of the content has a fairly large range. For example, "The Office" and 30 Rock are almost indiscernible from the broadcast HD over the Roku after I did the update. On the other hand, some of the older SD content, even with the full quality stream, looks not so hot. On the whole, I find the quality to be more than acceptable for the SD stuff for the most part, and excellent for the HD. That being said... make sure that you have a fast internet connection before you get this box. Because it is a bandwidth hog, especially with HD. If you have cable, you may not be able to get the full HD stream during peak hours when your bandwidth drops.

In addition to the Netflix, Roku hasn't announced details yet, but they are definitely bringing other content to the box, which is evident in the "what's new" tab on the new firmware update.

Also, there is probably stuff that you can get on netflix that they might not have to your local library.

Why buy a Roku player ($99) when you can get the same capability for a little more built-in BD-Live enabled Blu-Ray players (or a Xbox 360 + Live subscription).

[quote name='Busyman']Why buy a Roku player ($99) when you can get the same capability for a little more built-in BD-Live enabled Blu-Ray players (or a Xbox 360 + Live subscription).[/QUOTE]
because those aren't wireless out of the box, and im not interested in a 360?

I have a cable connection. I usually have around 9200/480kbps, but in peak times, i get around 6400/480kbps. Would that be good enough for HD? What is the library like? Im wondering how long it would take to get a new release. At the library, it takes over 3 months to get a new release, even if im in the top 100.

Have you looked at free Redbox codes to supplement the library? I would think you could sell the Roku box and get most of your money back if you decided it wasn't for you. Streaming isn't a substitute for much of anything because of the limited selection and the wide variety of quality of the encodes on Netflix's offerings. Its a supplement.

[quote name='turls']Have you looked at free Redbox codes to supplement the library? I would think you could sell the Roku box and get most of your money back if you decided it wasn't for you. Streaming isn't a substitute for much of anything because of the limited selection and the wide variety of quality of the encodes on Netflix's offerings. Its a supplement.[/QUOTE]
um, i'd love to try redbox, but i can't believe there isn't a single one in manhattan.

Quality is mixed. I seldom get anything to stream in HD anymore (6MBPS comcast)--especially on the weekends. From other forums that seems to be common--Netflix likely needs to upgrade bandwith on their end to handle weekend loads with all the 360 users who jumped on board since November, as it was fine on the weekends the first couple of weeks after the NXE update.

Anyway, IMO, the $8.99 a month probably isn't worth it for instant watch only. I play $14 for the 1 out at a time with Blu Ray access and couldn't go without the service since I refuse to use blockbuster, hollywood etc. (shitty service and too much hassle vs. getting in the mail and watching whenever). The instant watch is just the icing on the cake.

bread's done
Back