How Evil is Ea's Origin service ?

It's not evil, it's just wholly unnecessary. Most PC gamers use Steam and most of us like steam. Worse yet, it's UI isn't as good as Steam's and they rarely have sales as good as Steam anyhow.

Most people are only using Origin to play BF3 and Mass Effect 3 since it's the only place to get them/play them. I have Origin solely for the BF games and that's about it. I hate origin the most since I can't get ME3 in my steam account despite ME1 and ME2 living on there.

Origin is so evil that it installed Dragon Age 2 on my pc.

That was a lie.

Origin is fine, but gifting options and the such makes Steam currently the better service.

I have heard some stories and rumors of back end shenanigans running in origin like data mining and reporting what all is on your system back to the ea servers ? Don't know if that is true since i've never personally used it before.

I would really like to play some bf3 on my pc, but just cant get myself to install origin on it atm.

[quote name='squishface']I have heard some stories and rumors of back end shenanigans running in origin like data mining and reporting what all is on your system back to the ea servers ? Don't know if that is true since i've never personally used it before.

I would really like to play some bf3 on my pc, but just cant get myself to install origin on it atm.[/QUOTE]

Not a rumor to me, it's right there in their EULA. For consoles too. They don't call it "data mining", they called it something like checking your other games played history for information and sending it to EA servers. Some games may offer opt out, but not the ones I've seen

There is an option that allows you to send data to Origin or no send data. Steam has this same feature.

Battlelog for BF3 on PC is amazing.

[quote name='j-cart']There is an option that allows you to send data to Origin or no send data. Steam has this same feature.

Battlelog for BF3 on PC is amazing.[/QUOTE]

I hate BF3's browser launcher. But I can admit having all your data and whatever else in the launcher is nice. It's not as big of a deal as I thought it was back in Beta.

EA took my username and gave it to someone else. As a result I really don't even want to use Origin. It's just not the same.

bread's done
Back