How exactly do I... (PC networking help)

dd_mcdoodle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Hey fellow CAGs, I am in desperate need of your help. I just got a new computer yesterday, and would like to transfer things such as music from my old computer to my new one. Both computers (old and new) are in the same room and at the same desk. I read that it is possible to connect 2 computers through a crossover cable and share files/internet through through that connection. I looked online, but could not find any solid information on how to create this kind of connection. Basically, all I am trying to do is create a network through a crossover cable to share files and an internet connection. I have tried connecting the 2 PCs to each other through the crossover cable I have, but nothing happened, except that one of them tried to get a network IP address every couple of seconds, but it kept failing over and over. If anything can help me out with this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I can tell you looked really hard... It was only the second result :roll: :razz:
10-100baseT_rj45_connector_CrossOver.jpg

http://www.arcelect.com/10baset.htm

I only have a wireless router, which one of the computers is connected to through a wireless signal. I followed jaykrue's instructions, but that did not work. I assigned the IP addresses to both PCs, disabled the firewalls on both PCs, but still nothing happened. Anyone else have any advice?

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']I only have a wireless router, which one of the computers is connected to through a wireless signal. I followed jaykrue's instructions, but that did not work. I assigned the IP addresses to both PCs, disabled the firewalls on both PCs, but still nothing happened. Anyone else have any advice?[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:s you have a wireless only router? One is connected wirelessly... does that mean the otherone.... ISN'T connected at all?

Or is this a multiport switch with a wireless antena?

If you're using a crossover cable to connect the PC to the router... that would be why nothing is working.

If you have a crossover cable, connect the two pcs directly. Assign them an IP address in the same network. ie 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

Also... make the same account with the same password on each PC.

go to run and type "\\*ip*\c$" *ip* being the ip of the target machine. That will open the hidden share of the C drive.

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']I only have a wireless router, which one of the computers is connected to through a wireless signal. I followed jaykrue's instructions, but that did not work. I assigned the IP addresses to both PCs, disabled the firewalls on both PCs, but still nothing happened. Anyone else have any advice?[/QUOTE]

Gah! You didn't mention that :bomb: Anyway, if you check those instructions again, they don't require the router, if you're using a router, do it the way Kayden set it up.

Here is my setup: One computer is connected to the wireless router through a wireless adapter. The other computer is not connected to the wireless network at all. I would like to connect the computer that is not connected to anything to the computer that is connected to the wireless network. I want to be able to share files and an internet connection from one PC to the other. I connected the crossover cable from one PC to the other. I went to the properties of the LAN connection, clicked on the properties of the TCP/IP protocol, and assigned 192.168.0.1 to one of the computers, and 192.168.0.2 to the other. Still nothing.

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']Here is my setup: One computer is connected to the wireless router through a wireless adapter. The other computer is not connected to the wireless network at all. I would like to connect the computer that is not connected to anything to the computer that is connected to the wireless network. I want to be able to share files and an internet connection from one PC to the other. I connected the crossover cable from one PC to the other. I went to the properties of the LAN connection, clicked on the properties of the TCP/IP protocol, and assigned 192.168.0.1 to one of the computers, and 192.168.0.2 to the other. Still nothing.[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure they're in the same workgroup?

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']Here is my setup: One computer is connected to the wireless router through a wireless adapter. The other computer is not connected to the wireless network at all. I would like to connect the computer that is not connected to anything to the computer that is connected to the wireless network. I want to be able to share files and an internet connection from one PC to the other. I connected the crossover cable from one PC to the other. I went to the properties of the LAN connection, clicked on the properties of the TCP/IP protocol, and assigned 192.168.0.1 to one of the computers, and 192.168.0.2 to the other. Still nothing.[/QUOTE]

When you assigned them their static IPs did you then reboot and try to ping from one computer to another?

Yes, I just tried that, and still nothing. Perhaps it could have something to do with both my wireless network and wired network conflicting with each other? For both, the addresses start with 192.168. I tried changing to 10.0.xxx.xxx for the crossover network, but still nothing.

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']Yes, I just tried that, and still nothing. Perhaps it could have something to do with both my wireless network and wired network conflicting with each other? For both, the addresses start with 192.168. I tried changing to 10.0.xxx.xxx for the crossover network, but still nothing.[/QUOTE]

How many wired connections does your wireless router have?

The router has 4 ethernet ports in the back, but it is located a floor above where the computers are. There is no cable outlet where the computers are, and since I have cable internet, I cannot move the router to where the computers are. I may end up buying another wireless adapter for the other computer if I cannot get this to work.

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']The router has 4 ethernet ports in the back, but it is located a floor above where the computers are. There is no cable outlet where the computers are, and since I have cable internet, I cannot move the router to where the computers are. I may end up buying another wireless adapter for the other computer if I cannot get this to work.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just get some cat5e or cat6 cable? It's cheaper than buying a whole new wireless NIC card.

bread's done
Back