How far will graphics go...?

fmarxnge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
many of today's games are getting more realistic especially pc games, but when will it stop? it has to reach some point where it gets so much realism, but what will happen then? eh.. technology is getting better and better so yeah. just wondering. your thoughts?

edit: inspired by the Graphics Now and Then movie thing at gamespot.com

Exactly what sort of answer do you expect here? Graphics will continue to increase in quality, sharpness and speed.. eventually being able to mimic something very near to real life.. obviously.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Exactly what sort of answer do you expect here? Graphics will continue to increase in quality, sharpness and speed.. eventually being able to mimic something very near to real life.. obviously.[/quote]

I don't think "very near" will be the end. I think within 3 console generations game will be capable of producing graphics indistinguishable from real life.

Of course they've been noodling with really high definition displays in Japan and they've apparently been making people sick with their realism, so pushing it too far may not be a good thing.

I think once that happens people are going to become bored with graphics and one of three things are going to happen. (besides EA geting into financial trouble)

A) Huge retro era where the Nes and Snes, along with many other older systems make it big and the golden age is "relived".

B) Surreal games are going to be huge hits where you travel off to distant lands and the purples skies etc. This will still allow for near perfect graphical power but it will be a reality we have yet seen at that point.

C) Some other form of entertainment will start to fade video games out. Just like board games there eventually will be a next step... maybe virtual reality maybe something else. If we knew that we would be well onto our way of making some serious money.

Not to sound negative...

We can only get so advanced. The best we can hope for is mimicking real life. (which would be sweet)

Next thing you know, robots eventually become our servants until one of them kills us, inadvertantly starting an era long war of man vs. machine where the machines sent one of their own back into the past to terminate the mother of the inevitable feeble human resistance in hope of beginning the war a few years earlier but then the the leader of the human resistance finds that the war is already over and the machines have won and realizes that we're all caught in some kind of matrix in which we live virtual lives but in reality we're just batteries and when our energy is gone we get sucked up and reconstituted as nourishment for the new batteries.... THE END

Find the 4 movies references and u win my respect

I read an article (either XBN or OXM) where they interviewed 5 or 6 experts and one of them made a statement basically identical to jmcc's. Photo-realistic graphics in 3-4 generations.

Still I don't know if it could ever really top out. Sure you might hit photorealistic graphics with a few characters on screen at first, but I think there will always be a push to have more moving characters on screen at once, etc.

[quote name='jaykrue']Next thing you know, robots eventually become our servants until one of them kills us, inadvertantly starting an era long war of man vs. machine where the machines sent one of their own back into the past to terminate the mother of the inevitable feeble human resistance in hope of beginning the war a few years earlier but then the the leader of the human resistance finds that the war is already over and the machines have won and realizes that we're all caught in some kind of matrix in which we live virtual lives but in reality we're just batteries and when our energy is gone we get sucked up and reconstituted as nourishment for the new batteries.... THE END

Find the 4 movies references and u win my respect[/quote]

The Terminator and The Matrix are the obvious ones. I think the first part is from a short in the Animatrix. Not sure what the last one is.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='jaykrue']Next thing you know, robots eventually become our servants until one of them kills us, inadvertantly starting an era long war of man vs. machine where the machines sent one of their own back into the past to terminate the mother of the inevitable feeble human resistance in hope of beginning the war a few years earlier but then the the leader of the human resistance finds that the war is already over and the machines have won and realizes that we're all caught in some kind of matrix in which we live virtual lives but in reality we're just batteries and when our energy is gone we get sucked up and reconstituted as nourishment for the new batteries.... THE END

The Terminator and The Matrix are the obvious ones. I think the first part is from a short in the Animatrix. Not sure what the last one is.[/quote]

Blade Runner? Servant robots turning on the humans?

[quote name='tickdude'][quote name='dcfox'][quote name='jaykrue']Next thing you know, robots eventually become our servants until one of them kills us, inadvertantly starting an era long war of man vs. machine where the machines sent one of their own back into the past to terminate the mother of the inevitable feeble human resistance in hope of beginning the war a few years earlier but then the the leader of the human resistance finds that the war is already over and the machines have won and realizes that we're all caught in some kind of matrix in which we live virtual lives but in reality we're just batteries and when our energy is gone we get sucked up and reconstituted as nourishment for the new batteries.... THE END

The Terminator and The Matrix are the obvious ones. I think the first part is from a short in the Animatrix. Not sure what the last one is.[/quote]

Blade Runner? Servant robots turning on the humans?[/quote]

Well you start with a classic Isaac Asimov reference, most likely referring to the new I-Robot movie. Obviously we go into the Terminator and the Matrix.. and although I doubt you meant to, your last comment referenced Soylent Green.

[quote name='wubb']I read an article (either XBN or OXM) where they interviewed 5 or 6 experts and one of them made a statement basically identical to jmcc's. Photo-realistic graphics in 3-4 generations.

Still I don't know if it could ever really top out. Sure you might hit photorealistic graphics with a few characters on screen at first, but I think there will always be a push to have more moving characters on screen at once, etc.[/quote]

Over here at the University of Illinois we have a room called The CAve - essentially it already allows you to play video games in full 3D using a headset, a wireless joysick that you hold in space and it reads 3D movement, and surround sound. Played Quake 2 on it a few years ago and it was awesome - the baddies appeared to be 7 ft. tall. The amazing thing is that the images appear to be in front of you. The next step is to up the graphics quality to photorealism. At that point, the artist's imagination will be the barrier.

We will get to the point where the graphics will become more real than reality and then the games will start playing us..........

[quote name='jaykrue']Next thing you know, robots eventually become our servants until one of them kills us, inadvertantly starting an era long war of man vs. machine where the machines sent one of their own back into the past to terminate the mother of the inevitable feeble human resistance in hope of beginning the war a few years earlier but then the the leader of the human resistance finds that the war is already over and the machines have won and realizes that we're all caught in some kind of matrix in which we live virtual lives but in reality we're just batteries and when our energy is gone we get sucked up and reconstituted as nourishment for the new batteries.... THE END

The Matrix, I Robot, The Terminator, and The Animatrix?

dcfox: got the 2 obvious ones
tickdude: got the 3 reference

the last one is a bit trickier... here's a clue, it's a recent movie and it's NOT any of the Matrix movies or the Animatrix (I count them as one) and it pretty much resembles the other 3 movies mentioned: Blade Runner, Terminator, and Matrix

EDIT: Dah! you guys answer too fast! Cornfedweb got the last one: I Robot

[quote name='jaykrue']dcfox: got the 2 obvious ones

the last one is a bit trickier... here's a clue, it's a recent movie and it's NOT any of the Matrix movies or the Animatrix (I count them as one) and it pretty much resembles the other 3 movies mentioned: Blade Runner, Terminator, and Matrix[/quote]

Blade Runner, Terminator, and Matrix, and I Robot?

[quote name='jaykrue']dcfox: got the 2 obvious ones

the last one is a bit trickier... here's a clue, it's a recent movie and it's NOT any of the Matrix movies or the Animatrix (I count them as one) and it pretty much resembles the other 3 movies mentioned: Blade Runner, Terminator, and Matrix

EDIT: Dah! you guys answer too fast! Cornfedweb got the last one: I Robot[/quote]

I still say you referenced Soylent Green. :)

Too late moe11888, Cornfedwb beat ya to it... and ya, you're right Cornfedwb, I didn't realize that I did reference Soylent Green.... IT'S PEOPLE!!!! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!

[quote name='jaykrue']Too late moe11888, Cornfedwb beat ya to it... and ya, you're right Cornfedwb, I didn't realize that I did reference Soylent Green.... IT'S PEOPLE!!!! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!![/quote]

Excellent!!!! Good going cornfedwb.

But is it really Soylent Green or Chicken Tenders? :puke:

Sadly the push to make better graphics may never stop because there is big money in it, and games are promoted mainly by the way they look thus spawning a growing generation of graphic whores who only care about visuals.

The reality is graphics may look nice, but they have little to do with how good a game is. Not to mention that we play games to get away from the real world so why would we want them to look like it?

You're all wrong. The 3 Mars rovers have ended communications with Earth and are currently building a robot armada on Mars. They will launch their invasion on the year 2032.

President Chelsea Clinton wont know what to do.

Hopefully we are headed towards holodecks so I can program up some virtual sluts and never have to leave my house.

[quote name='Derwood43']Not to sound negative...

We can only get so advanced. The best we can hope for is mimicking real life. (which would be sweet)[/quote]

What???? I want my virtual reality where things are better than real life!

[quote name='int80h']You're all wrong. The 3 Mars rovers have ended communications with Earth and are currently building a robot armada on Mars. They will launch their invasion on the year 2032.

President Chelsea Clinton wont know what to do.[/quote]

Take that back. I'm not going to sit here idly while you bad mouth President Chelsea Clinton.

bread's done
Back