How is a two-year-old monster-thread better than separate discussions?

TechVW

CAGiversary!
I'm sure this type of thing has been discussed before, but I just need to go on a little rant....

The discussion of the Super Mario Galaxy 2 deal was deleted. I felt the news was worthy of a it's own post. Some good useful information was in there about how the digital Wii games work, the upcoming deals, and many questions answered. I assume it was deleted because there was already an all-encompassing "Wii U eShop Deals" thread.

Why is it better that the info be buried amongst two years of discussion? The first page of discussion on that thread (after the OP) is completely irrelevant. People have to pay close attention to the subject, or else they might miss the details of the deals otherwise you would just assume its the same ole Wii U eShop deal thread, and not that there is actual new information. Then they click to go to the last page and then have work their way backwards to find out when the current discussion began. Horrible.

Is it really just because you don't want to have to deal with multiple topics popping up about the same thing, so you let one person "own" a broad topic for years? At least let him split the old discussion off into an archived thread or something. I know this is an old-school forum with limitations, but there has got be a better way.

/end rant

That being said, I joined in 2003, so the fact that yall are still around must mean you are doing something right. Thanks for all the years of cheapassgaming

I agree with the OP, especially when over the past few weeks we had about 50 separate Sears/Kmart threads for different items that were all clearly part of the same clearance/sale/whatever.

Im going to have to chime in and agree as well

This has gotten progressively worse in the past few years with all the off topic bantering people seem to have to do in those specific threads in the deals forums instead of using the social boards for such discussion(Im looking at you Steam deals thread)

All of the monolithic threads have been getting worse of the years since there's more BS discussed in there than the content of the thread.  Nuking a "sub" thread that singles out a deal seems a little heavy-handed these days.

Ones that would fit into this "category" would be:

* PS Deals

* XBL Deals

* Steam Deals / bundle deal threads

* Wii U eShop thread

* 3DS eShop thread

* Sears / KMart Clearance

* Target Clearance

... and so on.  Out of those threads, the Steam deals thread is by far the worst, as it was pretty much unusable during the winter sale with all the cliquish BS going on there.  The PS Deals threads tends to be the best out of those since Frisky does keep things more on point than most, though all of these gargantuan threads are starting to be more trouble than they're worth.

I know moderating a number of those threads would get some users happy and other users irked at the moderation, so it became pointless to do much in there because there was also some group bitching about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this type of thing has been discussed before, but I just need to go on a little rant....

The discussion of the Super Mario Galaxy 2 deal was deleted. I felt the news was worthy of a it's own post. Some good useful information was in there about how the digital Wii games work, the upcoming deals, and many questions answered. I assume it was deleted because there was already an all-encompassing "Wii U eShop Deals" thread.

Why is it better that the info be buried amongst two years of discussion? The first page of discussion on that thread (after the OP) is completely irrelevant. People have to pay close attention to the subject, or else they might miss the details of the deals otherwise you would just assume its the same ole Wii U eShop deal thread, and not that there is actual new information. Then they click to go to the last page and then have work their way backwards to find out when the current discussion began. Horrible.

Is it really just because you don't want to have to deal with multiple topics popping up about the same thing, so you let one person "own" a broad topic for years? At least let him split the old discussion off into an archived thread or something. I know this is an old-school forum with limitations, but there has got be a better way.

/end rant

That being said, I joined in 2003, so the fact that yall are still around must mean you are doing something right. Thanks for all the years of cheapassgaming
Your thread was removed since it was a re-post. I wasn't the mod that removed it so it isn't up to me to restore it (threads are not deleted here, just hidden). We can't really go tell the OP of that megathread to stop contributing and let someone else do it. Especially if they have been keeping the OP and thread title updated consistently. Thread creators don't have the ability to split a topic. They can start a fresh new thread and lock the old one. I would had personally left your thread active but each of us have different opinions on what action to take.

All of the monolithic threads have been getting worse of the years since there's more BS discussed in there than the content of the thread. Nuking a "sub" thread that singles out a deal seems a little heavy-handed these days.

Ones that would fit into this "category" would be:

* PS Deals

* XBL Deals

* Steam Deals / bundle deal threads

* Wii U eShop thread

* 3DS eShop thread

* Sears / KMart Clearance

* Target Clearance

... and so on. Out of those threads, the Steam deals thread is by far the worst, as it was pretty much unusable during the winter sale with all the cliquish BS going on there. The PS Deals threads tends to be the best out of those since Frisky does keep things more on point than most, though all of these gargantuan threads are starting to be more trouble than they're worth.

I know moderating a number of those threads would get some users happy and other users irked at the moderation, so it became pointless to do much in there because there was also some group bitching about it.
The PC deal threads in general cause the most problems for us. Usually inappropriate language and images. The console/clearance megathreads aren't much of a problem. Rarely any reports from them with the exception of the amazon warehouse thread (It has been improving a lot though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just thinking, part of the problem could be solved by having an option to sort threads or be notified based on first-post-updated-at date.  

That way the regular hot-topics don't keep bumping up to the top, but you won't miss out on any major updates to them.

The PSN thread seems to be the worst for cliqueish behavior and immaturity.  But I just avoid it and read the OP to see what deals are there, though honestly the OP is a mess of a wall of text that you have to scroll through before you get actual deals.

I actually think big deals should get their own thread, but when it comes to PC deals, 99% of the time someone posts a PC deal you get people bitching and moaning about it not being for Xbone or PS4 or bla bla bla or bitching and moaning about it belonging in the mega thread.  You can't seem to please anybody any of the time it seems.  

bread's done
Back