How is GameFly these days?

skubish

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Anybody still use Gamefly?
I am think about rejoining but the reason I quit was because it took a week to get a new game and there was always a long wait on any new releases?

I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for a new releases but I don't want to wait months.
I see they have more shipping locations so delivery should be faster now.

It was definitely good to me for quite some time, but it seems like a) they are getting sloppy or b) they throttle older accounts. I am constantly waiting a day or two for them to ship out a new game after they receive my returns.

Could be better ... it's gotten pretty slow for me ... as in a week and a half can go by between the time they receive an old game and ship a new one. It depends though, they've been fairly good about getting games out if you have it in your Q right before it's released and don't have any other games out. But if you have a game out or put a new release in your Q anytime on or after the release date, you'll end up waiting for a long long time ... it used to be better ... now it's just ok

Just remember, even though they have more shipping locations, they also have more customers now ...

I haven't seen a big problem for me. GTA: ChinaTown wars just became available to me, I don't remember when that came out, but it's been unavailable for awhile. Ya the whole waiting a week sucks, but I figured out that if you bring in the Gamefly envelope into the Post Office and hand it to them, it's more likely to go threw the fast return. Then just putting it in the big blue mail box thing they have outside the post office. Not sure if that's just the post office I go to though.

They are faster now that they have multiple locations around the country but that's not saying much because it used to take 5-6 days for a game to arrive and show as returned after I shipped it. Add in another 5-6 days back and they sucked.

These days it's 3-4 days from them in Pittsburgh to me near Cincinnati.... Everything somewhat new is usually in low supply though and you get to watch games not ship your way. It gets annoying.

More locations and more customers and more demand. I've never had a game not ship from Pittsburgh since I signed back up several months ago. I'm thinking they lock you into a location and that's yours even if another place has one to ship.....?

one bad thing about gamefly is if you do not have an open slot the day a game comes out ... you will be waiting months to get it.

all of the DS stuff that came out last week is now LONG WAIT (very low chance of shipping) even the junk titles are low

its going to be a lame summer for PSP and DS since there is almost nothing coming in july that i would even want to rent and aug is the same

last 3 games i did get

throttled... i had games LOW in spot 1 2 and 3 and games showing NOW in spots 11 and 12 and 14

So they ship me game 1 from cali what will take a week to get to me instead of shipping game 11 from pit that will take 2 days

So game from Cali ( 7 days to me 4 to 5 days back) that is half of the month so 2 games

Pitt is 2 days each way so i could get 3 maybe 4 games a month

so they mostly just ripping me off

i would cancel but i got credit till july 2010 (doing the trade in program)

I used them for 3 years and they've gotten so bad (I had a queue of over 27 games over half showing now available and they would take 1-2 weeks after receiving my game to send out something else and it would always be like the second to last game on my list) that I quit a few weeks ago and signed up for gamerang. I'm quite a bit happier, pretty much every game in my queue is "available" and I've gotten the #1 game on my list everytime.

I am on the 7th week of my 2 month trial and I have received a total of 4 games. It took 10 days for them to get one of my games and another week to get my game. Goodthing I didnt pay for this service.

Wow looks like gamefly has gotten a lot worse. I stopped after a month because I thought it was too slow (and forget about getting new releases!) but it wasn't nearly as slow as what's being described here.

I canceled my 1 month trial I got 6 games in 1 month but to get 6 games I had to send out the ones i got it the next day or else I wouldn't get them that fast.

My experience has been great. I've never had any issues using Gamefly. In fact, I've only seen the service get better over time.

I'm fairly proactive with my game queue and log in regularly to tweak it and move things around. New releases aren't hard to get if you get them in your queue pre-release and in the #1 position and have an open slot for a game to ship on release day. You can't blame Gamefly if you don't have an open slot for a game to ship. That responsibility is yours. But honestly, there hasn't been a new release in recent memory that didn't ship on release day for me.

I really think just logging into your queue and manipulating it regularly yields the best results. Game availability changes daily. I've had games that show low one day end up shipping the next.

In the end I've played far more than I ever would otherwise using Gamefly and dodged a few bullets financially on overhyped games. That right there pretty much justifies using them. I've played literally thousands of dollars worth of games for what amounts to a couple hundred bucks for the year.

You're absolutely right about newer games. If you have an open slot when a game is released, there is a good chance of getting it. Of course, timing it just right is an issue, as well. You need that slot to open up in a certain window. Too soon or too late, and you're not getting that game...for a long time...

Once in a while I've added a hot title to my queue after its official release date and had to wait a while for it but never months. That I don't get. Again, I'm going to have to attribute this to frequently manipulating the order and number of games in my queue. I think the longest I've ever waited for a new release when I haven't had it in my queue prerelease was maybe a couple of weeks.

New releases are awesome to get for sure but the library of titles available is pretty vast. You could easily keep yourself busy with older games for months on end. I mean, yes, I am eager to play new stuff but there's plenty to keep a person busy in the meantime.

I wasn't just having a problem getting new releases like I said I had 27+ games in my queue and maybe 10 of those were recent. The problem was they weren't sending me any games period. They would receive my games I would have 2 open spots and then it would take a week to two weeks for them to send me a game off my queue even though I had plenty of "available now" games in my queue.

I'm not a newbie to gamefly I've been using them for 3 years and the last two or three months have been the worst I've dealt with. It got to the point where I wasn't even receiving enough games to have it be worth the price.

Well there's something up there, not that you need me to tell you that. That's obviously an issue. Clearly something went south. Did you contact them about it?

Yeah, same situation here. From reading around the 'net, it's likely that GF throttles high traffic accounts, just like Netflix has been found and/or accused of doing in the past. When I contacted them about it (obviously did not accuse them or throttling, merely said service had been slower as of late), they said it was because of the high demand of the games in my queue. This was definitely not the case, though, considering I always have at least 10+ "Available Now" titles. As you said, it's great having access to all of those games, and I really don't care if I get a new title or a three year old one. But when they aren't sending you anything, that just stinks, especially because I love the service so much.

Gonna piggy back off this thread instead of making a new one. I can get a 15 day free trial and was going to use it, but was wondering if it's a PITA to cancel before the trial is up so I don't get billed.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, same situation here. From reading around the 'net, it's likely that GF throttles high traffic accounts, just like Netflix has been found and/or accused of doing in the past. When I contacted them about it (obviously did not accuse them or throttling, merely said service had been slower as of late), they said it was because of the high demand of the games in my queue. This was definitely not the case, though, considering I always have at least 10+ "Available Now" titles. As you said, it's great having access to all of those games, and I really don't care if I get a new title or a three year old one. But when they aren't sending you anything, that just stinks, especially because I love the service so much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard about Netflix doing that in the past but again, I have never had any issues with them either. I hear about this stuff and I use gamefly and netflix religiously and have never once had a problem with either one.

I'd keep hounding customer service about it. In the end they are still a fairly young business working the kinks out I'm sure. I'm happy to see them growing and I'm happy about their overall improvement over the last couple of years but there's still room to grow.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Gonna piggy back off this thread instead of making a new one. I can get a 15 day free trial and was going to use it, but was wondering if it's a PITA to cancel before the trial is up so I don't get billed.[/QUOTE]

You can cancel right online easy as pie, they even offer another month of crappy slow service for only $14.99 what a deal!

Yes, it's true that you can cancel right online but honestly, if you're only going to use it for 15 days and then cancel you're not really giving it a chance. I'm not sure why anyone would do that but it's not a difficult process if you must.

[quote name='BondJamesBond']Yes, it's true that you can cancel right online but honestly, if you're only going to use it for 15 days and then cancel you're not really giving it a chance. I'm not sure why anyone would do that but it's not a difficult process if you must.[/QUOTE]

I'd only use it for PSP games at the moment, and I don't think the price is worth paying just to rent those, as the monthly fee could basically get me a game. If they had a cheaper plan that just included handheld games then I'd consider giving it a chance past the 15 day limit.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I'd only use it for PSP games at the moment, and I don't think the price is worth paying just to rent those, as the monthly fee could basically get me a game. If they had a cheaper plan that just included handheld games then I'd consider giving it a chance past the 15 day limit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But then it isn't like you're locked into one game a month or anything. You can cycle through as many as you can in that time frame and, depending on what plan you use that could add up.

Gamefly is ok just for the fact that I live 30 to 45 miles out side of the nearest game rental store. With the 2 game account ill always have a game to play. Plus if your a muliti system owner like me the selection of games is great.

There's no way they bought anywhere near as many of any of the June releases as they should have. I've been a big supporter of the service up until this month.

They suck, I live 1 normal(I send mail to this area regularly)mailing day away. I send it on Monday and they claim to receive it on Friday. I have been without a game for over a week and a half, and they could care less to ship me the game I want. Their availability line is crap in my book since they can buy more games to properly fill the demand.

Well I did the trial. One game shipped yesterday, but didn't arrive today (I'm guessing tomorrow since I'm really not that far from the closest shipping center). A second game has not shipped yet even though 2 of my choices are listed as high, and one changes from Now Shipping to High every once in awhile. I can see how this would be pretty annoying if I was actually paying for it.

[quote name='seen']I forgot to mention, I've been a member since Dec. 2006 and they really don't seem to care...[/QUOTE]

It's refreshing to hear an opinion from someone who's actually had the service for more than a month.

That said, I'm surprised. I mean, they've done nothing but grow and expand their suite of services. It's pretty much been a steady pattern from the get go. Sure, there have been some bumps in the road but overall I think they're going in the right direction.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well I did the trial. One game shipped yesterday, but didn't arrive today (I'm guessing tomorrow since I'm really not that far from the closest shipping center). A second game has not shipped yet even though 2 of my choices are listed as high, and one changes from Now Shipping to High every once in awhile. I can see how this would be pretty annoying if I was actually paying for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it definitely gets annoying. I think it feels even worse given how great Netflix is.

I've noticed that service got a day or two slower too after my trial was over, but that could also be due to a move (though I think they may make it as quick "as possible" early on to try and get people to sign up).

Netflix doesn't have us spoiled, its the way a functional company runs.

I finally, finally!!! Got them to send out FNRD4, I was about ready to complain again(I really don't understand how GF charges a customer full-price, when there is no game they are interested in other then the one GF won't ship).

It mysteriously has quick return; I won't be holding my breath to see if it will arrive or return faster.

Well, my first game arrived today, and I saw why it took an extra day. It shipped from their Texas facility, instead of their Pittsburgh one. My second game also shipped today, so I'm hoping it was from the Pittsburgh facility so I can get it tomorrow.

They really need to add some kind of option to only ship from X facility, or at least tell you on the page which one it's coming from.

Funny thing is, games I get from the other facilities often get here quicker than games from the Pitt one that is only state away. Two games shipped on Friday only a few minutes apart. One from California and one from Pittsburgh. The one from California actually arrived Monday, which floored me. I'm still waiting for the one from Pittsburgh. It's probably lost...again...but considering it was a holiday weekend, I'm holding out hope. Two games already got lost when I sent them back, so anymore, and they are gonna nix my account.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Funny thing is, games I get from the other facilities often get here quicker than games from the Pitt one that is only state away. Two games shipped on Friday only a few minutes apart. One from California and one from Pittsburgh. The one from California actually arrived Monday, which floored me. I'm still waiting for the one from Pittsburgh. It's probably lost...again...but considering it was a holiday weekend, I'm holding out hope. Two games already got lost when I sent them back, so anymore, and they are gonna nix my account.[/QUOTE]

How do you know the second one is from Pittsburgh if you haven't got it yet?

[quote name='Ryukahn']How do you know the second one is from Pittsburgh if you haven't got it yet?[/QUOTE]

It's in your rental history and the e-mail they send you when the game ships (if it doesn't say anything in the e-mail, it shipped from your primary center).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's in your rental history and the e-mail they send you when the game ships (if it doesn't say anything in the e-mail, it shipped from your primary center).[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. The rental history says both came from Pittsburgh. I thought the one that came today was from Texas due to the return address being Austin, TX. Guess not, which means I probably won't get the game until Friday.

It's a real shame Gamefly doesn't have cheaper prices for using on handhelds only. Apparently they have Fast Return in my area, so my next game in the Queue was already shipped (I dropped it in the mail yesterday). Still too much to justify when I'm just using it on PSP games, but I'm definitely impressed.

bread's done
Back