How is GTA4 on PC vs. 360?

uricmu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
At release I played GTA4 for about 15% completion and left it on the 360.
I always meant to get back to it. Steam is now offering it for $7.50.
I'm trying to figure out if it's well done or a crappy port. Most reviews that I've seen discuss the DRM, but if I'm getting it from steam I don't mind it as much.

You can probably get that game from places like Staples, Odd Job and Gamestop in the bargain bin for $4.99.

GTA 4 is not my cup of tea but the game has a lot of mods.

It's pretty demanding on the hardware, and is one of the only games to demand a quad core system for smooth gameplay.

Does anyone know how much official patching has gone on in the past year? I understand it's demanding, but is it still BUGGY if you have a decent machine?

I played GTAIV on PC after getting it on steam. I thought it ran very well, and I liked how I could run it at higher resolution than console people. I went a bit nuts using PC cheat codes since I just wanted to get through the game in my lifetime. I looked through mods but none of them struck me as "must have".

They didn't offer the extra mission pack for PC, if that matters to you.

I don't know if they fixed it but when I was playing it, GTA IV had graphical bugs like missing textures and stuff sometimes. Other than that it ran ok.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone messed with the mods yet? Are they hard to install?[/QUOTE]

I just messed with car skins and attributes. I used a loader which went in the txt file and changed whatever value that needed to be changed. It was bit confusing at first, but after trial and error, I got it working.

I tried to get a mod to work where you are able to spawn whatever you wanted (guns, cars, color of the car, etc...), but didn't have any luck with it.

I ran it on my Asus G50VT-X5 laptop. It ran fine (don't recall the settings tho). It's a Core 2 Duo with 2.13ghz, 4 gigs, and a geforce 9800 GS

[quote name='saturninus']I upgraded my video card to a 9500 GT with 512 MB ram and it runs like poop.[/QUOTE]

The 9500 GT is a pretty low-end card. Not many AAA titles released in the last year or two are going to run well on it, especially not a relatively poorly done console port.

[quote name='saturninus']I upgraded my video card to a 9500 GT with 512 MB ram and it runs like poop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not going to cut it. My 9500GT is great for Battlefield 1942, but...

bread's done
Back