How is Metroid Prime Hunters as a single player game?

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I guess the title says it all. Thinking about getting Metroid Prime Hunters to at least play through. I'd imagine that I'd get so screwed on multiplayer online at this point that it wouldn't even be funny. Is it worth it as a single player experience?

I got screwed on multiplayer like a couple weeks after the thing came out so yeah you'd be pretty fucked. The singleplayer is good, the only problem for me was the control, I couldn't get used to the controls which kind of made both single and multi-player suck.

Also the bosses are the same things over and over just a little harder each time. I never finished the singleplayer before I decided to sell it so I can't tell you all about it, but it was fun though impossible to control without my hands hurting like a bitch.

The levels are big and basically like the cube versions, but with N64 graphics. And you don't have to run around getting all your powers back, only different weapons. I guess that about sums it up.

I found the single player fun...if you knew where to go. The most tragic flaw of the game was there were noooo clues concerning where to go next. I just beat a boss, and instead of enjoying it and moving on to the next portion of the game, I'm at a stand still because I have no freaking clue where to go afterwards!

I'm still playing through the single-player portion right now. I actually like it a lot, although I agree that you're going to want to get the guide as it can be confusing (in that grand Metroid tradition) where to go when. It's pretty robust and the worlds are really nicely designed with lots of stuff to scan. Although the boss levels are a bit repetitive, they are supplemented by many battles with all of the other bounty hunters, which I think are the highlight of the game.

And though I suspect random multiplayer could be scary at this point, if you have friends to play with, it's a lot of fun. The voice chat feature is surprisingly awesome as well.

I've played it for a bit and do enjoy it. Bought the thumb strap for better control and I do like that method. As close to keyboard and mouse as you're going to get on a console-ish system.

I agree with everyone that it just has this open ended feel once you finish a boss. It's also never clear to me which relics I have, which ones have been stolen, and if they've been stolen, where to go to get them.

Oh, and while the idea of an automap is great, it's really hard to figure out because the screen is so small. It's like the map in original Descent, but at least you had more room to play with that map. Anyway, it's much easier to simply do your best to memorize where you're going so you can backtrack after you beat the boss.

I'm a PC FPS junkie, and this game has impressed me. Never thought I'd see an FPS this fun on a handheld.

-HM

I just got online for the first time last week and I didn't think it was too bad...granted, I haven't won yet, but I have managed to get 2nd (out of four...and out of two sometimes :D). You can choose to go up against people of the same rank (which I think is just based on multiplayer stats), and that seems to make it better. I haven't beaten the single-player, and I am guessing that I would do better in multiplayer if I had.
Overall I think it is a pretty fun game, even just the single-player (though, as I said, I have yet to finish it)...

[quote name='Stobes']I found the single player fun...if you knew where to go. The most tragic flaw of the game was there were noooo clues concerning where to go next. I just beat a boss, and instead of enjoying it and moving on to the next portion of the game, I'm at a stand still because I have no freaking clue where to go afterwards![/QUOTE]

i agree here im totally stuck because there are no clues or anything as to what you need to do. im at like 30% and i really wanana beat it so i can sell it as i am tired of getting owned on wifi.

[quote name='anarchyburger']i got a question about contols.... how are the controls for lefties? and what is the best and easiest way to control this game?[/QUOTE]

You know i obught the DS upon release... Iplayed a little with the Metroid demo and it was so so at the time.

I then ventured off and bought and played other games... about 6 months ago I went back tot he demo. Within an hour It felt easy as ever to controll it. I cant remember if I liked the thumb nub or the thumb but either way I liked it way better than the stylus option. It is very much like a PC FPS once you get the learning curve down.

If you are a console FPS player thats a different story though I imagine.

I liked the feel of it and will probably pick it up failry soon.

[quote name='Snake2715']You know i obught the DS upon release... Iplayed a little with the Metroid demo and it was so so at the time.

I then ventured off and bought and played other games... about 6 months ago I went back tot he demo. Within an hour It felt easy as ever to controll it. I cant remember if I liked the thumb nub or the thumb but either way I liked it way better than the stylus option. It is very much like a PC FPS once you get the learning curve down.

If you are a console FPS player thats a different story though I imagine.

I liked the feel of it and will probably pick it up failry soon.[/QUOTE]

The release version of the game is vastly improved over the demo that came with the DS, both in terms of graphics and control. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I hated it.

Controls sucked IMO.

Level design sucked. Boring levels, lots of back tracking, having to go back to the ship to save sucked.

The bosses sucked and are just repeated.

I'm a big Metroid fan, but Hunter's was hugely dissapointing IMO.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I hated it.

Controls sucked IMO.

Level design sucked. Boring levels, lots of back tracking, having to go back to the ship to save sucked.

I'm a big Metroid fan, but Hunter's was hugely dissapointing IMO.[/quote]
So... it's a worthwhile investment then? ;)

err...you guys know you can switch this game to use the just the dpad and the buttons for movement and aiming right? I played it the way its orginally setup with the dpad and stylus controls which worked well enough for me to beat the game and I enjoyed it save the repetitive bosses. I found the controls the smoothest I've experienced outside of Halo console wise and very close to the precision I enjoy on my PC FPS's. At any rate single players solid just not something I'd want to repeat over and over so I'd give it a negative mark for replayability.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I hated it.

Controls sucked IMO.

I'm a big Metroid fan, but Hunter's was hugely dissapointing IMO.[/quote]

i felt the same way

I'm about halfway through it right now. It's pretty easy, plus the levels are pretty much straight-forward. There are no branching paths save for the different colored doors for you to open once you get new weapons; so really, it's not confusing where to go. Find a new weapon, go back to a previous planet, open a new door, proceed. That's really all there is to it. All said though, it's pretty dang fun and captures the Metroid feel to an extent, allthough it feels like a generic FPS with Metroid skin in several ways. I haven't done wifi yet, but I'm pretty sure my cornhole would be violated if I do. Enjoy!

I was dissapointed in the singler player experience, but the multiplayer is great. For newcomers playing multiplayer, you would probably be dissapointed. People will do anything to win, its pathedic. Unless your playing with people who play fair, dont go to random wi-fi battles. Its more about the win then the fun.

This game is not for casuals.

Hunters is not easy, in fact, it's pretty hard.
I think the single P is pretty vanilla, the multi P is where the meat of the game is, but you need to be a pretty hardcore gamer to enjoy it.

bread's done
Back