How long befoe games drop in price...

PleasantOne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
As I've never really been involved with a console at launch before, I was wondering if some of you seasoned professionals would care to share your opinions on how long you think it will be before we see games taking MSRP price cuts?

I've been looking at vids of both Elebits and Metal Slug... and while I'd like to have both, I really feel like they're more $20 or $30 dollar titles... not $50 and $40. Do you think this is likely to happen, and if so, when?

I think it usually takes a few months or so for those games. I wouldn't mind trying Elebits.

However, games like Ant Bully, Cars, Spongebob (movie/tv license stuff) drop fairly quickly. Usually $10 at a time until they are about $20 or in a bin at Walmart.

They will drop slowly, especially first party. Expect Excite Truck to be $49.99 forever. Same with Zelda. The rest will be just as slow considering how hastily the Wii is selling out.

~ahmed~

If the 360 is any indication, you're probably looking at 6 months before there's a price drop. Gotta wait for a steady supply of consoles to be available so stores and publishers can actually gauge what is selling well.

Games like Madden and Tony Hawk will plummet once their new versions come out. 1st party titles ususally take forever to drop. Some 3rd party titles might drop if the sales aint that great.

"Normal" 3rd party titles will probably start to drop (MSRP drops, not sales, FYI) in about 6 months.

"Franchise" 3rd party titles (Tony Hawk, Madden, etc) will drop about 2 to 3 months prior to a new release in the franchise...sometimes sooner depending on sales.

1st party games will probably drop in about 8 to 12 months....as a launch for a "greatest hits" line.

[quote name='pilferk']"Normal" 3rd party titles will probably start to drop (MSRP drops, not sales, FYI) in about 6 months.

"Franchise" 3rd party titles (Tony Hawk, Madden, etc) will drop about 2 to 3 months prior to a new release in the franchise...sometimes sooner depending on sales.

1st party games will probably drop in about 8 to 12 months....as a launch for a "greatest hits" line.[/QUOTE]

...unless you are Mario Kart DD or Mario Kart DS. :cry:

I would say 6-12 months easily, maybe in time for the next holiday season. Excite Truck will drop in price just like Wave Race did on the GC, just will take 18+ months.

In theory Wii titles should drop quicker IMHO due to the low res graphics. Sure the motion sensing adds to cost, but Nintendo should realize that the Wii is basically NGC 1.5 with gimmick controls. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the Wii, but I am after all a CAG.:)

But prices drop due to sales, not due to cheaper production costs. It's not like the hardware where it gets cheaper to make as they make more.

Hardware doesn't get cheaper because they make more. Handware gets cheaper because...

1. Pressure from other companies lowering their systems.
2. To increase sales.
3. The tech gets old and outdated.

[quote name='David85']Hardware doesn't get cheaper because they make more. Handware gets cheaper because...

1. Pressure from other companies lowering their systems.
2. To increase sales.
3. The tech gets old and outdated.[/quote]It gets cheaper to make as they make more, therefore they tend to also make it more affordable (usually due to item 1 or 2 from your list).

I see Elebits being the first price drop simply because of how short the game seems to be. People won't be buying it simply because its too short for a $50 game.

As soon as the Wii "shortage" dies down and people actually play these games, the price will drop. This coming from someone who only has a Wii.

bread's done
Back