How long has your PS3 held up?

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Saw this on the 360 board and thought it was a good idea. Looking to see how long you've had your original PS3, if it's still got all its original parts, and what type is it (Slim/fat and HD size).

Mine lasted from mid 2007 September to January of 2010. It was a 60 gb fat brand new when I got it. It got the ylod I got it fixed, got my data off and sold it

Now I have a used 120 gb slim that I bought in Jan 2010 with a 2 year extended warranty. I make sure to back up my save games all the time...just in case

3+ year old fat 80 gig monster still running quite like a champ.

Funny thing is I bought a ps3 when My 360 was sent in for RROD, even since then its just been collecting dust until a good exclusive comes out(might dust it off for Gears Of War 3)

I LOVE MY PS3 XD

Tough to choose a vote. Still have a working 60 with a bigger HDD but got sick of updates taking features away so I packed it up (until I decide what to do with it) and have been using a Slim. No problems on either. Out of my entire collection I've only ever had my original PS1 break to a point I couldn't fix it myself.

Thankfully I've no 360's or XB's to increase that number.

4 year old 80GB BC with an upgraded HDD. Still doing its thing with thousands of hours of playtime and movie watching.

Went through 8 360s during the stretch but my year old 360 Slim seems to be holding up just fine... fingers crossed!

I have a 40GB non BC that has been running strong for three years this June. I do air clean it about once every month or two, but it has lived through everything from marathon Netflix sessions, six hour Fallout binges and a move across the country to the wrath of numerous rage quits.

It does seem to have gotten louder over time, but so far I havent had any issues.

60gig that I bought when I heard they were going to discontinue the hardware emulation.
No issues.

80 gig non backward compatible that I bought off of a friend in 2008 - no issues.

I had a 60 gb from mid 2007 and it lasted till early 2011. Well it had one repair very early on, within a month of the purchase. My brother has 80 gb unit from mid 2008 and it's still going.

I'm the first vote for original but repaired. Purchased my 40 GB fat in Feb '08, ran all the way till last month perfectly, then the blu-ray laser crapped out. In the last year it's been outfitted with a 640GB harddrive upgrade. Went ahead and got it repaired over opting for a new one, cause I prefer the look of it over the newer slim model, plus it wasn't that much for the repair. Died April 28th, thought about what to do with it for a week or so, with the network outage and everything, but got it fixed. It is now back in the middle of my entertainment center where it belongs.

My 20 gb ps3 is still running fine and strong. I often use it for backwards compatibility. Strangely, the backwards compatibility kinda suck. When it comes to certain rpg titles published by NIS or Atlus around 2007+ I tend to get save corruptions(Persona 4, Ar Tonelico 2, Mana Khemia 2). I have to frequently back up my saves just in case of possible save corruptions. Sometimes I feel like using my ps2, but I don't use quite as much due lack of convenience.

My friend has a 60 gig and all he does is folding home every day without turning the system off. I think he folding home for over one or two straight years without turning the system off. Sometimes the system get extreme loud due accumulating heat but it's nowhere even close to sound of Xbox 360. That system is still run strong.

My first one lasted from when i bought it on june 2008 died on october 2009...got a slim 120gb upgraded to 320gb on april 2010 still works great...

I made sure to buy a 3 year warranty this time, hopefullly i won't have to use it.

My 80GB BC PS3 from October 2008 is alive and well. Its hard drive was upgraded to 160GB a year after I bought it, and everything's still running fine, albeit with the fans kicking in more often.

Bought my BC 60GB back in October of '07 and still running strong. Froze only a handful of times throughout the years.

I do want to upgrade to a slim with a bigger HD because the PS3 emits heat like a oven.

60GB bought back in May of '07 still works perfectly but unfortunately it's been noticeably louder in the past few months, especially during PS2 emulation, and I'm considering buying a new one. I'd buy another 60GB but the prices on ebay are for a NIB model are fucking ridiculous, if I see one pop up for a reasonable price I think I'd opt for that over a slim.

I'm no longer using my original PS3(40gb model), but that's only cuz I traded it into GS a year after I got it cuz I thought the laser was going kaput on it due to it taking forever to load in a game to the XMB.

Had I known that all I'd have to do to fix that issue(and any freezing issues) is just run the Restore File System option from the PS3's safe mode menu I'd likely STILL have the 40gb now.

But right now I have a 60gb I paid $60 for from a guy trading it into a local shop, a 120gb slim(letting my one buddy borrow it long term) and a 160gb model from a Black Friday bundle I bought from Amazon's Warehouse Deals.

Forgot exactly when I got it but I still have a backwards compatible 60gb one I got new off the shelf. Its still running perfectly. I think I grabbed it about 6 months before they stopped making them.

I had the original 60GB fat from 2007, then moved on to a MGS4 80GB bundle for about a year and then moved on to a 160GB slim when they first came out. Never had a problem with any of them, but havent had any of them for longer than a year or two anyway.

Also of note, I have had at least 20 different game systems through the years and the only issue I ever had was with the original NES where you had to blow in the game cartridges. But everyone had to to that, so I figure it could be considered a "feature" :) I had a launch day PS2 for 9 years and never had an issue with it.

My launch PS3 60GB is still alive and kicking...I also have an additional new in box 60GB that I got when they were being closed out at Boscov's.

However, it does not get used nearly as much as my 360 or Wii, which probably explains why.

80 GB BC Fat from July 4, 2008. It was my Independence Day gift to myself. No problems whatsoever after 3 years. I did upgrade the HD about 6 months ago for more space to a 640 GB but haven't had any issues with either drive since owning it.

I do only use my PS3 for gaming though. Trying to conserve the optical lens so I avoid watching movies on it when I can.

Still have my 40GB from 2007 (I think). Thermal paste was replaced on it last year as a preventative measure, but nothing else has been done to it, and it's still whisper quiet and fast to load games.
[quote name='wrencrest']Also of note, I have had at least 20 different game systems through the years and the only issue I ever had was with the original NES where you had to blow in the game cartridges. But everyone had to to that, so I figure it could be considered a "feature" :) I had a launch day PS2 for 9 years and never had an issue with it.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Only console I've had that doesn't work is the 2600 that my cousin took apart and destroyed.

I still have my original 80GB Motorstorm Bundle that I purchased back in November 2007. I have easily put thousands of hours of use into it with games, blu-rays, dvds, PS2 games, PS1 games, streaming media, folding@home, etc.

I also have a slim from about a month after release that hasn't given me any problems. I have only put a couple hundred hours of use into my slim so far.

Bought a 60gb BC model in Aug 07 and it lasted exactly 3 years until Aug 10 last year. Red Dead killed it about an hour in. I put that thing through the ringer though, went through a period of folding@home a lot overnight for a few months and watched tons and tons of movies on it through media sharing. Got my ps2 gaming caught up and cleared before it gave and it was $350 with the Sony CC back then so I more than got my moneys worth. Got the YLOD fixed and sold it off towards a slim.

Hard for me to answer straight up. Sold my original (day 1) 60GB at Xmas and replaced it with a slim. I have a second slim that has been working without an issue for almost 2 years now. I took option #1 since I have not had a problem with any of them.

I got my 80 gig ps3 the day metalgear solid 4 came out in the bundle with the white box. After playing nearly 5 hours online everyday for about a year my ps3 died 15 months after i bought it. Luckily I didn't pay full price but i felt like i had to buy a 45 dollar 2 year warranty for my loud slim and feel lucky because my warranty would have run out during the psn outrage and I bought my warranty on like april 18th.

I still have my 60GB PS3 I bought a few months after its release. I've never had a problem with it outside of the fact that the fan makes a good deal of noise when it gets up to full speed. I've been fortunate enough to have pretty good luck with Sony consoles (unlike some of the non-gaming hardware Sony makes); my launch PS1 still runs well.

My original 60GB PS3 died after less than a year (power supply I think). Sony sent me a refurb and right now I'm looking for a reputable repair shop since it's overheating within 5 minutes. The fan kicks into overdrive and I get the shutdown message.
I've changed the thermal paste (original looked like a dry pile of toothpaste), bought and installed a Talsimoon fan, and tried the copper shim mod, all to no avail. Short of changing the power supply, I think I've exhausted all possible fixes, so off to a repair shop it goes.
I think if I get it working I'm trading it in ASAP towards a slim. I have a slim and it is rock-solid and sooooo very quiet. PS2 BC isn't worth it for me, I never used it so I don't feel as enamored of the fatty.

Original PS3 40GB: bought around may 2008 and traded it in august 2010 with no problems
Current PS3 160GB (upgraded 500GB): bought around august 2010 and still kicking, granted I rarely play or use my PS3. I am more worried about my phat ps2 which is starting with disc read errors :cry:

Glad you saw my post on the 360 side OP :)

My MGS4 PS3 is still firing since I got it 2 years ago, original everything. Although these days with updates breaking some 360s and PSN getting hacked, I'm on edge with both consoles sometimes. But here's to all original consoles still firing for everyone!

I've had mine for a year but I bought it used (gasp!) don't know how long the dude who had it before had it.
The only issue I've had is that it will randomly start fast forwarding videos I'm watching and since I don't have a remote it takes a little while to rewind it back to where it was, kinda kills the media player bit....

Got my first PS3 (80 Gig) in the Christmas of 08 was running fine until mid 2010, started having issues like crazy with Red Dead Redemption and Street Fighter, so i ended up buying a 120 Gig Slim and doing a Data Transfer.

I'm on my launch day 2006 60GB console still. It runs like a champ. Well, a champ who sounds like a rocket ship taking off. But a champ nonetheless.

bread's done
Back