How long should this package take?

spmahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ugh, less than 2 weeks ago I sold a Super Nintendo with some games on eBay, and the buyer who purchased it was in Alaska. The item was shipped parcel post on Friday 2/17, and the buyer has been breathing down my neck since Wednesday asking where the package is. I explained to him that Monday 2/20 was a postal Holiday, and that sending packages to Alaska is almost like sending them internationally in that it's gonna take a little while longer to get there, but yet he's still on top of me about the package.

Now I ALWAYS save my receipts and delivery confirmation notices on my desk at home, but wouldn't you know it, have 12 months worth of receipts and confirmation numbers for every other package but this one. Anyone have any experience in sending mail to Alaska? What's the typical handle time from USPS? Honestly from the way this person is acting, it sounds to me like they're looking to screw me no matter what happens, but you would think that someone in Alaska would have most realistic delivery expectations from the lower 48?

if you bought the postage from an electronic kiosk it should give you and estimate also if you have the tracking number it should allow both of you to track the location of the package, i personally have never shipped anything to alaska but every time i have shipped an item i always get an estimate of when the package should arrive

From the estimates I did, it takes a few days to a week longer than what it would for everyone else. The fact that you shipped by parcel post(possibly the slowest method) is going make matters take longer. It can take 7-14 business days for parcel post stuff to be delivered.

So if he doesn't get it by end of next week, that would be the time to be worried.

[quote name='spmahn']Honestly from the way this person is acting, it sounds to me like they're looking to screw me no matter what happens, but you would think that someone in Alaska would have most realistic delivery expectations from the lower 48?[/QUOTE]

No matter where they live, you're going to get impatient asses that have to have the stuff the next day even though they paid for the cheapest, slowest shipping possible.

OP,

Parcel Post can take two weeks just for short deliveries in the continental U.S. It is not considered an expeditied shipping method like first class and priority and from what I understand it doesn't move daily and can sit in a processing facility for several days before being picked up and moved to the next destination.

The fact that it is outside the continental 48 makes it worse; Alaska, Hawaii, P.R. Guam, Virgin Islands, etc are all considered domestic shipments (as well as APO/FPO) but can take a very long time.

I would say 2-3 weeks is a more reasonable estimate.

You should really try and find the DC # though as it may help you if he opens a dispute.

Did you pay for the postage online or at the post office?

This is why I pack up the stuff, weigh it, then pay over eBay/PayPal for shipping. Tracking numbers are kept track of automatically, Seller Protection re: address shipped to, and now you don't even have to pay when you do it through eBay until around the time the money from your buyer clears PayPal. People on eBay are always looking to screw you.

I think if you try to find your tracking number, you should be good as long as it arrives before the last day of eBay's estimated delivery date.

Parcel takes weeks. I've mailed first class stuff to Puerto Rico before and it's taken 7 days alone. He just needs to understand the cheapest shipping rate will obviously take the longest. Expedited shipping for anything above 13 ounces costs an arm and a leg. And who the hell buys an SNES on eBay anymore. lol.

Recommend you start entering some DC numbers on the USPS website to find the winner.

Parcel Post is a terrible service - and the savings is rarely worth the time. I always offer it to buyers who want to save a couple bucks, but for future's sake, make sure you buy your postage via eBay/PP or at least write on the DC notice what the item was.

My suggestion is to tell the buyer that you're sorry it's taking so long, but Parcel Post is notoriously slow for shipping items, especially to Alaska.

Find that DC number, though - you may need it if a dispute is opened.

If you would have emailed them their tracking number, you'd have it as well(in a sent folder).

I can see if someone was sending me a 'bulk item' cable cord or something small and cheap from China, but, even then, I may get a tracking number.

For this, I'd, definitely, want a tracking number.

If you sent parcel post, it could take up to a few weeks (since it has to go through customs I think, plus it's winter, so roads may be icy in Canada/Alaska.)

parcel post is dumb just because they obviously let it just sit somewhere for 4 days in between shipping centers.....no wonder you are going bankrupt USPS

What exactly did it cost you to ship the SNES Parcel Post, OP? If you weren't sending it in the original box or with a ton of other stuff, you could've likely shipped it in a flat rate Priority Mail box and had it get there in a week or less probably.

Shipping to Alaska is tricky, because depending on where he lives, sometimes mail can only be delivered by a boat, depending if they live on a smaller island or not, and if the weather there is not great, there could be a massive delay.

I shipped a package once to Alaska, and I was worried after two weeks that it hasn't even arrived yet, so I messaged the guy to let him know I have no clue what was up. Luckily he was nice enough to explain to me the whole situation. After 3 and a half weeks it arrived there and everything worked out.

I once had a package arrive 3-4 years later, I don't know wtf happened but my mom called me out of the blue that something arrived when I wasn't expecting anything. I felt bad because the guy I bought it from on eBay said he shipped it but I never got it, he gave me my money back but I wish I was able to contact him again. =(

EDIT: I forgot to mention it shipped from somewhere in Canada to California.

I just shipped a game to some guy from ebay and apparently the post office decided to not drop off the package..... so now its on its way back to me with no response from the guy....I'm still curious why they didn't drop it off as I didn't pay for signature. Gotta love our post office.

But yeah...parcel post is the worst. Takes weeks in the continental us. Couldn't imagine going up to Alaska.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What exactly did it cost you to ship the SNES Parcel Post, OP? If you weren't sending it in the original box or with a ton of other stuff, you could've likely shipped it in a flat rate Priority Mail box and had it get there in a week or less probably.[/QUOTE]

I payed like $15 for parcel post to Alaska, which is the exact maximum eBay allowed me to charge for shipping. I don't remember what Priority would have cost, but I remember it being a little more expensive. I just told the guy to hold tight, so we'll see where it goes from there. I did just notice when looking back on eBay that the buyer has zero feedback, which is usually a big red flag for me, so if it does turn out that this guy is a scammer, I guess I'll have to write it off and learn my lesson.

Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='spmahn']I payed like $15 for parcel post to Alaska, which is the exact maximum eBay allowed me to charge for shipping. I don't remember what Priority would have cost, but I remember it being a little more expensive. I just told the guy to hold tight, so we'll see where it goes from there. I did just notice when looking back on eBay that the buyer has zero feedback, which is usually a big red flag for me, so if it does turn out that this guy is a scammer, I guess I'll have to write it off and learn my lesson.

Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE]

for $15 you would have been able to ship the SNES by Priority Large Flat Rate box. It's not a huge box but unless you sold it in the original packaging it would have fit in no problem. I believe it is something like 12" x 12" by 6" but I'm not positive.

Regardless I'm sure your item will get there... the question is when. In the meantime you need to make sure you can find the DC as it sounds like the buyer might open a case.

eBay's fees now include whatever you charge for shipping. If you're shipping in the USA and you plan on using a method that's the same across all "zones" or whatever like I believe First Class, Priority, and Media Mail all do, just mark your listing as "Free Shipping" and include the price of shipping into your base listing price to make sure that much is covered + whatever else you want to get in case there is only one bid.

Yeah, you can't start the listing at 99 cents unless you want to get low balled, but generally you'll be fine in the end, or at least that's been my experience. Then you don't have to worry about any eBay limits that try to prevent excessive shipping prices. Obviously this doesn't work if you're shipping a pinball machine or something.

Also, you can choose to block bidders who are international, APO, PO Box, Alaska/Hawaii, US Territories, as well as people with certain negative marks against their accounts. Usually I block everyone but let Alaska/Hawaii through. I've never had a winning bid from those states, but the comments in this thread about how difficult it is to get things through to Alaska at times makes me rethink allowing them to bid.

I got an estimate of 12 days from my location on the USPS website for parcel post to Alaska.

I personally do not ship to any place outside of the 48 continental united states. Its not worth the hassle of time and money plus making a customer wait that long for a package even if they are okay with it.

i sold a item on ebay shipped parcel post few years ago took 3 months to get from virginia to texas. I figured that they must have walked it the whole way. it is not uncommon for parcel post to take 21 business days now, that is in the 48 states.

[quote name='kodave']eBay's fees now include whatever you charge for shipping. If you're shipping in the USA and you plan on using a method that's the same across all "zones" or whatever like I believe First Class, Priority, and Media Mail all do, just mark your listing as "Free Shipping" and include the price of shipping into your base listing price to make sure that much is covered + whatever else you want to get in case there is only one bid.

Yeah, you can't start the listing at 99 cents unless you want to get low balled, but generally you'll be fine in the end, or at least that's been my experience. Then you don't have to worry about any eBay limits that try to prevent excessive shipping prices. Obviously this doesn't work if you're shipping a pinball machine or something.[/QUOTE]

I never really understood how this is logical. If you are selling Item X, and Item X generally sells for $35 on eBay, with no regard to the shipping price, and you list your for $43 to cover the cost of shipping and handling, yours is going to be the least likely of all listings for Item X to sell, since potential buyers perceive it as being more expensive than what most people generally pay. People generally don't pay attention to the shipping cost when looking at eBay, they usually just take the listing price, and then decide at that point whether to buy or not.

[quote name='spmahn']I never really understood how this is logical. If you are selling Item X, and Item X generally sells for $35 on eBay, with no regard to the shipping price, and you list your for $43 to cover the cost of shipping and handling, yours is going to be the least likely of all listings for Item X to sell, since potential buyers perceive it as being more expensive than what most people generally pay. People generally don't pay attention to the shipping cost when looking at eBay, they usually just take the listing price, and then decide at that point whether to buy or not.[/QUOTE]

Yes and No.

You're correct in saying if a New Release game is being sold on eBay for $58.99 with $3.99 shipping it will probably sell better then one at $61.99 with FREE SHIPPING because everyone knows the MSRP for that video game is $59.99 even though the one that appears to be more expensive is actually a $1 cheaper.

You're missing three things though:

1) eBay has a "sort by" ----> Lowest Price (price + shipping) feature which would negate your theory

2) eBay rewards sellers that offer free shipping with higher placement in search results

3) not all buyers are stupid.

Amazon has the same issue with 3rd party sellers. You can search for a game and amazon might have it for $29.99 with FSSS and under the other seller options you'll see something like:

"New starting from $22.99"

Which will make you excited until you click the link and see some idiot selling the game for $22.99 + $15.99 shipping and handling.

At the end of the day it is the consumers job to be smart enough to figure that out

[quote name='kodave']eBay's fees now include whatever you charge for shipping. If you're shipping in the USA and you plan on using a method that's the same across all "zones" or whatever like I believe First Class, Priority, and Media Mail all do, just mark your listing as "Free Shipping" and include the price of shipping into your base listing price to make sure that much is covered + whatever else you want to get in case there is only one bid.

Yeah, you can't start the listing at 99 cents unless you want to get low balled, but generally you'll be fine in the end, or at least that's been my experience. Then you don't have to worry about any eBay limits that try to prevent excessive shipping prices. Obviously this doesn't work if you're shipping a pinball machine or something.

Also, you can choose to block bidders who are international, APO, PO Box, Alaska/Hawaii, US Territories, as well as people with certain negative marks against their accounts. Usually I block everyone but let Alaska/Hawaii through. I've never had a winning bid from those states, but the comments in this thread about how difficult it is to get things through to Alaska at times makes me rethink allowing them to bid.[/QUOTE]

Never shipped to Alaska before but ive done a couple of first class packages to Hawaii and both got there in less than a week. Keep in kind it came from California but i think standard video games are fine when it comes to the other 2 states.

[quote name='Donut2922']Never shipped to Alaska before but ive done a couple of first class packages to Hawaii and both got there in less than a week. Keep in kind it came from California but i think standard video games are fine when it comes to the other 2 states.[/QUOTE]

Donut,

First class is considered an expedited service. If you check the estimated transit times on USPS you'll notice that First Class is the same (2-3 Days) as Priority (2-3 Days).

First Class and Priority Mail will have movement every day. This is not true for Parcel Post. It can sit for a few days a time until the next truck is ready to go to the next sorting facility.

[quote name='GBAstar']Yes and No.

You're correct in saying if a New Release game is being sold on eBay for $58.99 with $3.99 shipping it will probably sell better then one at $61.99 with FREE SHIPPING because everyone knows the MSRP for that video game is $59.99 even though the one that appears to be more expensive is actually a $1 cheaper.

You're missing three things though:

1) eBay has a "sort by" ----> Lowest Price (price + shipping) feature which would negate your theory

2) eBay rewards sellers that offer free shipping with higher placement in search results

3) not all buyers are stupid.

Amazon has the same issue with 3rd party sellers. You can search for a game and amazon might have it for $29.99 with FSSS and under the other seller options you'll see something like:

"New starting from $22.99"

Which will make you excited until you click the link and see some idiot selling the game for $22.99 + $15.99 shipping and handling.

At the end of the day it is the consumers job to be smart enough to figure that out[/QUOTE]

But assuming two people are selling item x, one for $35 and $8 shipping, and one for $43 with free shipping, won't people perceive the $35 listing as being cheaper and be more inclined the purchase it? And don't you pay a higher final value fee on the $43 listing than the $35 one?

[quote name='spmahn']But assuming two people are selling item x, one for $35 and $8 shipping, and one for $43 with free shipping, won't people perceive the $35 listing as being cheaper and be more inclined the purchase it? And don't you pay a higher final value fee on the $43 listing than the $35 one?[/QUOTE]

Yes I would imagine that if the final prices are exactly the same then the cheaper item price would look more apeal

and No.. eBay now charges FVF on shipping so they would have the same fees

[quote name='spmahn']But assuming two people are selling item x, one for $35 and $8 shipping, and one for $43 with free shipping, won't people perceive the $35 listing as being cheaper and be more inclined the purchase it? And don't you pay a higher final value fee on the $43 listing than the $35 one?[/QUOTE]

I think the default sort is price + shipping (lowest), so I don't think that it would make a significant difference.

GBAstar pretty much hit the nail on the head.

And for every buyer who jumps on a "lower" price without considering the shipping costs, there's probably buyers that jump on certain auctions because they see "free shipping!"

And if you're selling a new game at $59.99 + shipping or $63 free shipping, either way I can't imagine you're going to have much success when people can get it cheaper from just about any box store or Amazon. How many people on here are selling brand new games at MSRP though? If you're going to be a re-seller you have to cut your prices and take a slimmer profit margin, otherwise you look like the idiots on Amazon marketplace selling games for $40 + $25 shipping. I'm talking about selling your used game items where there is more variance in the actual selling prices for the things.

bread's done
Back