How long would a recent release like Inglourious Basterds take to drop in price?

BoysDon'tCry

CAG Veteran
I really want the Blu-ray of this movie, but the cheapest I can find it for anywhere is $23 on Amazon. Anyone have a guess as to when the next Amazon sale will be (based off previous experience)?

It was $19.99 during the initial week of release at Target, and there was a $5 and $3 coupon that knocked it down to $11.99 + tax.

Amazon did have it for $17.99 on release day, as did Walmart.com.

[quote name='shrike4242']It was $19.99 during the initial week of release at Target, and there was a $5 and $3 coupon that knocked it down to $11.99 + tax.

Amazon did have it for $17.99 on release day, as did Walmart.com.[/QUOTE]
The $5 off coupon from Target was great... I was also able to use the manufacturer's coupon, was a great deal.

Unfortunately, the general answer to that question is "a while".

Unlike games, which release at the peak of their price, movies tend to be sold week of release at good prices. After that first week, the prices tend to go up, much closer to MSRP, and don't tend to fall for quite some time. They are also usually cheap in Q4, but we're at the end of Q4, so unless someone has a surplus of recent releases, you'll probably find that the prices will hold for 3-6 months.

Arguably, Video Games should be sold with a similar price model, with a significant discount to those that pre-order the game, and the recent sales on Modern Warfare 2 and Halo ODST on Amazon (and other retailers) are showing the first signs that many other game sales may soon follow. iPhone games are already selling that way, and it won't surprise me if most game manufacturers decide to follow (instead of having the usual Ubisoft $20-$30 price cut after 2 weeks).

But as for the question at hand, with new movies you should look for deals week of release, and if it's a movie you really want, remember that it could be a while before it comes down in price if you pass up the initial sales.

[quote name='ReussDr']Unfortunately, the general answer to that question is "a while".[/QUOTE]

Great summary, but it is funny the OP asked about IB since it is one of the best release deals in recent memory with the coupons, etc.

Maybe try to get it in your Amazon Quick Picks? It's in mine today for $18.99 (normal price $19.99, so it must have dropped a bit since you looked). Wouldn't have been an awful price if I hadn't gotten in on the Target coupon thing when it was released . . .

Price drop will be a while. But there should be a lot of sales on it for $17-20 over the coming months like there are for most big Blu Rays lately.

And yeah, Amazon Quick Picks is always a good bet. Just put stuff you're interested in on your wishlist to increase the chances of it showing up.

with all the sales as of late, don't you think they'll be dropping a lot quicker than before, what with the larger adoption of BD? i mean i can't give you an answer from some precise formula, but i would guess another sale would pop up by march.

and what kind of drop are you aiming for?

I think you are going to have to wait. Maybe when the Oscars come around Amazon will have a deal on it. I remember they had The Dark Knight for a good price on Oscar week.

bread's done
Back