How many of the games you buy are duds?

laaj

CAGiversary!
After buying 21 GBA/DS games since I got my DSL 3 months ago (to catch up on back catalog titles which I completed yesterday :D) there are few which I didn't like. Some of them cause they just aren't that good and others still being good but not my cup of tea. This is the problem I always run into when buying games and hoping is not just me.

List of shame:
Clubhouse Games - fun for first few hours
Animal Crossing - needy game that demands hours everyday
Metroid Pinball - only got it for rumble
Broken Sword - nasty bug that forced me to restart twice and only found out bug was stopping me from going foward because I read the FAQ.

Ofcourse I haven't had enough time to play all my games yet but I'll have to say around 25% are duds.

I honestly can't think of a GBA or DS game I've tried that Iw ould classify as a "dud", but then I'm probably a bit too easy to please. Just from your own list, I love Clubhouse Games, ADORE Animal Crossing, and I paid $3.50 for Metroid Pinball so I ain't complaining there ;)

I do have a couple games that aren't very good, but then they are ones I paid very little for. The only full price DS game I have that has disappointed me a bit (and I have probably 50 DS games?) is Bomberman Land Touch! But then I haven't played the online/classic parts of it yet...

I generally do my research on something before I decide to buy it, so I generally only guy games I'm going to play. I can't remember the last time I bought a game I didn't like.

So far all of the games I've gotten are duds to me except Phoenix Wright 1 & 2. Phoenix Wright rocks!!!!!

I think Metroid Pinball is an excellent game. But Devil's Crush on the Turbografx 16 is also one of my favorite game.

If you hate Metroid Pinball, try Pinball of the Dead for GBA.

Not that much. Very rarely do I impulse buy a game, because no way am I wasting 20+ hours on something that could be terrible. I'd throw down somewhere in the 5% range.

Looking at your poll options, it seems to correlate buying a dud game to not doing research and impulse buying.

I never buy a dud game, as I research opinions and whatnot before I buy. This doesn't mean I "never try anything new".

Most of you seem to define dud as crap. For me it means it could still be a very good game but I just don't like it. Am I being unreasonable to expect to like or even love every game I play instead of so-so average time but still entertaining.

[quote name='laaj']Most of you seem to define dud as crap. For me it means it could still be a very good game but I just don't like it. Am I being unreasonable to expect to like or even love every game I play instead of so-so average time but still entertaining.[/quote]
dud http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/[duhd] –noun 1.a device, person, or enterprise that proves to be a failure.

Well I don't buy too many games without reading a review and or playing it first. I would say I have one dud in like the seven GBA/DS games I have

[quote name='Rocko']dud http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/[duhd] ?noun 1.a device, person, or enterprise that proves to be a failure.[/QUOTE]

No offense but your expectations for new games are not to be terrible? Mine are they need to be great for me. This reminds me of a place where some of my friends love to eat but I hate because of the chairs there. It's called a personal taste.

Could probably change the phrasing from being a "dud" to being a "let down."

That said, I've had a few games that had great reviews and everyone else seemed to enjoy but just never "did" it for me.

The most recent being Metroid Prime: Hunters. I just can't get into it, but I know plenty of people who loved it.

And then theres games like Whacked! (Xbx). Which didn't recieve the best of ratings, but I played for hours upon hours on XBLive and had a great time.

To each their own.

PS: I picked the 15% option. 1 out of every 5-6 games is probably about right.

A few I get are duds, most on purpose just because it is too good of a deal (like Magical Starsign and Children of Mana for $15 each). My one true regret was picking up Contact for near full price.

[quote name='Rocko']Looking at your poll options, it seems to correlate buying a dud game to not doing research and impulse buying.

I never buy a dud game, as I research opinions and whatnot before I buy. This doesn't mean I "never try anything new".[/quote]

Same here. I always do a bit of research and wait for hype (if any) to die down. Also if you can wait long enough some GameCrazy stores will let you try a used copy before selling it to you. Or at least the ones in my area do. :bouncy:

I went with 15%. Most of the duds I get are ones I pick up for dirt cheap knowing that there's a chance they are going to suck. I'm a big fan of checking GRs score if I'm spending more than $10 or so.

there are a lot of games that i buy and enjoy but would still give a much lower score than given by most sites. for example, mega man zx is a 5/10 to me, which is still passible. and even though i finished ff3, i would only give that game a 3/10.

i find that most of the ds games i have are fun, but certainly are not great. the only game that i barely play is planet puzzle league.

i'm not quite sure which % i fall into...

I suppose it depends on your definition of "dud." To me, as a CAG, it comes down to a pretty simple equation. In this equation, "value" is a sort of ambiguous feeling I get about how much each game is worth to me:

if: (my enjoyment) / (price) < value, then the game is a dud.
if: (my enjoyment) / (price) > value, then the game is good.

I could buy a mediocre game and not consider it a "dud" if I didn't pay much for it. The only way something might qualify as a dud for me is if I paid full price, and I didn't like the game at all. Being a CAG, I'd say I've only made this mistake only once or twice. ;)

I don't buy duds. I always try before I buy, thanks to Gamefly.

And I never buy a game simply because it is cheap. If I find a game that I want, I buy it. If I don't want a game, I won't take it any price. My time is far too valuable to waste away on a game I won't enjoy.

I'd say 20% are "duds"

I do try new stuff and half the time I'd like it...but usually I just stay to the classics (platforming ftw!)

What kind of research do you guys do? I'll give Animal Crossing as my example of doing research but still getting a dud. I must of have read at least 4 reviews on that game and watched few gameplay videos on youtube. Keep in mind that I love the Sims on PC, but what all the reviews and videos failed to mention is unless you play everyday you will miss things unlike the Sims.
Even if you play everyday you still miss stuff because certain events only happen in certain time of the day. And let's not forget you can't speed up the game like the Sims.

Other minor things like stores not telling you if a item for sale is on your catalog or not which forces to you to memorize thousands of items. Still I can see why people like this game but it just doesn't work for me.

I just about always do research to see how the game is by reading reviews and looking at gameplay videos. My money is too precious to waste on crap, although there are some games that I just want and usually don't care about reviews that much but still take them into consideration (like the darkness and mario strikers: charged). As for DS games I am extremely careful about which games I buy because DS games don't drop in price usually till about a year or two after release. As a whole I play every type of genere and I am always looking for new and fresh gameplay expirences, but at the same time love the classic franchises.

bread's done
Back