How much better do DVDs look when upscaled?

blackbird3216

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was wondering about how the picture quality of upscaled DVDs differ from the picture from a component 480p player. I connected my DVD player via component cable to my Panasonic TH42PZ80U, and it looked suprisingly good, considering that i didn't calibrate the TV yet. What is the difference between the upscaled picture and a picture that is upscaled by the TV itself? BTW, should i turn on MPEG Noise reduction/Video Noise reduction when watching DVD's?

Here's a picture of what i was watching today:
img0993dh7.jpg

The tv itself actually doesnt upscale. it portrays whatever resolution you put into it. Did you set the dvd player to progressive scan to get a slightly better picture? If that's not easy enough to see a difference, try an animated movie... something along the lines of Flushed away's opening sequence or Ratatouille (sp?). Look for things like his cage or something with straight, finished lines and see if you the "granulated" look. I believe XBOX upscales dvds, and obviously a PS3 does.

I believe the resolutions go like so:
480i standard tv/dvd (cable, VGA, or component inputs)
480p is usually only achevied by a standard XBOX with component cables or a standard DVD player with component cables set to "progressive scan"

and 720+ is any HD source.

I'll be back with pics. I am watching space chimps right now.

Upscaling DVDs is kinda like turning on antialiasing in a PC game. It doesn't incease the detail at all, but it smooths it out nicely.

[quote name='blackbird3216']I was wondering about how the picture quality of upscaled DVDs differ from the picture from a component 480p player. I connected my DVD player via component cable to my Panasonic TH42PZ80U, and it looked suprisingly good, considering that i didn't calibrate the TV yet. What is the difference between the upscaled picture and a picture that is upscaled by the TV itself? BTW, should i turn on MPEG Noise reduction/Video Noise reduction when watching DVD's?
[/quote]

You should just use whichever scaler looks better to you. Every player/TV's upscaling will look different because it depends on their individual upscaling processors. Personally, I think my old 480i DVD player connected to my ln46a750 samsung via component looks good enough that I never even bother to use my PS3 to upscale DVD's. I was pretty amazed the first time I watched a DVD on it. If you're considering an upscaling player and your picture looks good already, I would just save the money to get a blu-ray player in the future.

I'm not sure on the noise reduction settings; I'm still experimenting with that stuff.

Some DVD's look nice upscaled actually. Like the superbit movies. Also you can not upscale using Component. Just a little fyi.

i personally feels that upconversion is a big marketing ploy.. the quality in improvement is very minimal. Personally i think it makes some older movies look WORSE..

And yes because of stupid standards.. component cables are not able to upscale...you will max out at 480p

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Some DVD's look nice upscaled actually. Like the superbit movies. Also you can not upscale using Component. Just a little fyi.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is possible to upscale over component. To do it though, you need a player that is hackable. I just hacked my Samsung DVD-HD841. Besides a couple of Samsung players, I'm not sure how common it is to be able to use a hack to remove HDCP. I was rather surprised to find this out about a player I scored for $3 at a garage sale.

[quote name='guyver2077']i personally feels that upconversion is a big marketing ploy.. the quality in improvement is very minimal. Personally i think it makes some older movies look WORSE..

And yes because of stupid standards.. component cables are not able to upscale...you will max out at 480p[/quote]

The difference in quality is actually pretty big from what I've seen. I tested a normal DVD player vs. a upconverting DVD player on my 42'' 720P panasonic, and the difference was pretty huge. The standard DVD player still looked grainy and low quality, but the upconverted image looked clear and sharp, almost as good as a blu-ray disk for movies I've watched. Clearly it isn't AS good as blu-ray, but the difference isn't enough to make me sell my DVDs and run out to buy Blu-Ray movies. I honsetly don't believe it is a marketing ploy, there really is a difference there, I've seen it first hand.

yup, upscaled dvds look pretty decent. it's not as great as bds but you can see the difference when you're just using a dvd player.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']720 is not HD in my opinion :)[/quote]

its halfway there, i got 1080 in my living room, 720 in my bedroom

[quote name='mydecember1985']The tv itself actually doesnt upscale. it portrays whatever resolution you put into it.[/QUOTE]

This isn't really true... his TV is 1080p, plasma displays have a fixed number of pixels, it will only display a 1080p image full screen. An upscaling DVD player typically does a better job, but by default resolutions lower than 1080p are scaled to 1080p by his TV.

Well, all the people who are seemingly anti-Blu-Ray (as opposed to simply saying they don't want to pay for upgrading right now) seem to think upscaling is equal to Blu-Ray. :rofl:

Upscaling does make DVDs look better, but I tend to find that a lot of it depends on the source material. Newer films/TV shows tend to benefit the most from it, but I notice little difference between SD and upscaled if the film quality is sub-par (i.e. most 70s TV shows, which were shot on videotape, not film). I have both a upscaling DVD player (Oppo) and a Blu-ray player, and while the upscaled DVD quality in no way approaches that of Blu-ray, it does provide a very good image... enough so that I still purchase most of my movies in DVD format rather than that of the much more expensive Blu-ray.

They don't.

You can't make up for something that's not there to begin with.

For anyone bitching about Blu-ray vs upscaled DVD. If you can't see a difference (color, definition, overall picture quality, not to mention sound) your eyes, ears, or TV are broken. Get them checked until the problem is resolved.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']Upscaling does make DVDs look better, but I tend to find that a lot of it depends on the source material. Newer films/TV shows tend to benefit the most from it, but I notice little difference between SD and upscaled if the film quality is sub-par (i.e. most 70s TV shows, which were shot on videotape, not film). I have both a upscaling DVD player (Oppo) and a Blu-ray player, and while the upscaled DVD quality in no way approaches that of Blu-ray, it does provide a very good image... enough so that I still purchase most of my movies in DVD format rather than that of the much more expensive Blu-ray.[/quote]

QFT. Alot of the older ones look alot more horrible when upscaled truthfully. I still buy SD, and when there is a Sale I go Blu-ray crazy.

And 1080p? Thats for Quakers. Go 4320p. :p

The biggest question no one answered is how DVD's upscaled to 1080p via HDMI compares to a regular dvd player playing the same disc in 480p component. I would really want to see how Blu-ray looks on my 1080p set, but i haven't been able to save the money yet. I have neer seen Blu-ray in action before.

4320p? isn't that like 10 years away?

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']720 is not HD in my opinion :)[/quote]
I think that depends on the screen size and distance from the screen you are at. From what I've read, smaller than 40" and then farther than 6 feet back and it makes little discernible difference. We have our couch about 6 feet away from a 32" 720p tv, so I think it works fine for what we have. By next Black Friday I hope to see some killer deals on 50" 1080p (or at least 42"), and then I'll jump into a "more hidef" experience :D

To me, it depends on the film... Interestingly enough, some DVDs look really good upscaled, but not all, most of them more or less the same or slightly better.

Haha, there are so many mixed opinions here that it's not even helpful. We need an article written by professionals or something.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Also you can not upscale using Component. Just a little fyi.[/QUOTE]

The Helios DVD players will upscale all the way to 1080p via Component.

[quote name='pacifickarma']The Helios DVD players will upscale all the way to 1080p via Component.[/QUOTE]
Even if you don't have a Helios DVD player, most TVs and DVD players support 1080i through component, much higher than 480p.

They look noticeably better IMO. No where near blu ray, but a good bit better.

I compared when I bought an upconverting player last year and noticed a difference, and also compared my upconverting player to the upconversion on the Sony BD-S350 blu ray player I just got and thought the BR player did a bit better job.

So I'll definitely not be upgrading many of my 300+ DVDs (especially since I seldom watch the vast majority of them--should really sell off a lot) and will still buy the occasional cheap DVD for something like a comedy where I couldn't care less about the resolution and would rather wait for a $5-10 DVD.

But for favorite movies, movies with a lot of special effects or great cinematography etc. it will definietly be Blu Ray. And that will be most purchases as I've cut back my movie buying to just what I really, really want to own, and if it's not something I'm willing to drop $15-25 on for the Blu Ray I probably don't need to own it since I have so many movies gathering dust as is.

Most DVD's do look better upscaled, like others have said it depends on the quality of the dvd. For instance Terminator 2 Judgment Day looks very good upscaled, but there was a lot of work and effort put into restoring it by THX. In terms of tv shows Lost looks really good upscaled, if the work was filmed with a high definition camera then it will obviously look better, like Sin City or the new Stars Wars movies.

Blackbird, you really just need to take a crash coarse in HDTV...

Anyways, they don't look better at all. It's the same picture, stretched with computational filler added in to the blank spaces.

It's like if you expand a picture to 200% it's original size in photoshop. It doesn't look better, or worse; it's just filling the amount of pixels it needs to.

It looks sharper to me, regardless of what it's doing.

But I'm not a videophile, so maybe it's just mental, but it looked better when I did comparisons. But I definitely don't want a crash course I'm happy with "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to audio video stuff as I'd hate to be one of those people who can't enjoy a movie if they see edge enhancement or other minor technical issues.

it really depends on your upscaling player. i had a 100$ samsung upscaling dvd/divx player (to 1080p) connected to my 37" JVC 1080p tv, and it looked pretty bad, if even different at all.

however, using a toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player, upconverted regular dvds look absolutely fabulous. not as detailed as bluray of course, but the lack of noise and grain and beautiful color ans sharpness makes for an amazing experience. Toshiba is the king of upconversion technology right now (although i know OPPO has brilliant stuff as well).

so basically, you get what you pay for. most upconverting dvd players are crap. but if you go for the pricey good stuff, theres a world of difference.

(i had since gotten rid of that samsung upconverting dvd player as it was totally useless, i use my 360 or ps3 for divx/xvid playback )

have a Phillips $40 upconverter over HDMI and it's a much better picture than the standard component dvd player ... will have to get a 2nd one, it's connected to a 32" Bravia. We have a small living room so getting anything bigger would look rediculous, plus we have a nice tv stand/center for it.

I would say that with the exception of watching a DVD on my computer, I wouldn't take anything less than an upconvertor on the LCD displays.

It's alot better on the eyes.

I have a 50" panasonic plasma 1080p and use my 60 ps3 as a bluray player/DVD upscaler. I has a large difference between the old dvd player I used. Don't listen to the guys saying no difference. Get a ps3-it will take care of your blurays/dvds and games and internet on the big screen.

[quote name='mydecember1985']The tv itself actually doesnt upscale. it portrays whatever resolution you put into it. Did you set the dvd player to progressive scan to get a slightly better picture? If that's not easy enough to see a difference, try an animated movie... something along the lines of Flushed away's opening sequence or Ratatouille (sp?). Look for things like his cage or something with straight, finished lines and see if you the "granulated" look. I believe XBOX upscales dvds, and obviously a PS3 does.

480p is usually only achevied by a standard XBOX with component cables or a standard DVD player with component cables set to "progressive scan"

I'll be back with pics. I am watching space chimps right now.[/QUOTE]
wrong, the TV does upscale. Some upscale better than others, but unless it's a 1:1 pixel w/ a huge black border it's upscaled.

a TV upscale will usually result in a softer look than an upscale from something like a PS3 (which is regarded as the best consumer electronics upscale, there are PC software upscalers which are better though).

It will always look better on a SDTV though. Even though the upscale results in a higher resolution all it's doing is guessing at what should be there. If youre watching DVDs, theyll always look best on a SDTV.

TURBO, what PC software upscalers are there? or could you direct me to a thread regarding this topic? i have an HTPC and would much rather use that...

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']720 is not HD in my opinion :)[/quote]Your opinion is irrelevant. Anything from 720p on up is officially considered HD and ABC and Fox broadcast 720p; CBS and NBC broadcast 1080i. While you may prefer 1080i/p, it doesn't matter.

As for upscaling, the quality of the delinterlacer and upscaler are EXTREMELY critical to end quality. A $50 upscaling player is unlikely to give the same quality picture as a $200+ deck. I threw down over $460 for a Toshiba XA2 HD DVD deck not six months before the format was executed because while I wanted it for HD, the upscaling of standard discs - which outnumbers my HDs by a factor of 10 to 1 - was superlative. My g/f's family (where I have the HT I installed the deck) noticed the improvement in the picture over the non-scaling Sony I had and these people always wondered what the heck I was talking about when I mentioned edge-enhancement and technical flaws in transfers.

Don't kid yourself that upscaling is a replacement for genuine 1080/24p content from an HD DVD or Blu-ray, but for many movies, it's good enough. Ratatouile upscaled looks really darn good - not as good as the BD, but close enough for rock & roll. Visually intricate movies scream for HD, but stuff like Knocked Up or Baby Mama doesn't need it; the cinematography is usually pretty ugly in comedies. Likewise, a great transfer doesn't redeem a lousy movie. I've seen people slobbering over the Hulk HD DVD's transfer as if they'd forgotten that it was still fucking Hulk!

[quote name='guyver2077']i personally feels that upconversion is a big marketing ploy.. the quality in improvement is very minimal. Personally i think it makes some older movies look WORSE..

And yes because of stupid standards.. component cables are not able to upscale...you will max out at 480p[/quote]

[quote name='pacifickarma']The Helios DVD players will upscale all the way to 1080p via Component.[/quote]

First off upconversion is a totally different thing from upscale. Here is what it is, credit to michaeljhuman @avsforums The link to it is HERE. Truly go to this forum for all your audio video advice.

What is upconverting?

The answer depends on whether you are talking about DVD players, or AVRs. Upconverting DVD players can output video signals such as 720p, 1080i or even 1080p. That's the way manufacturers use the term for DVD players, and sometimes high definition players.

Upconverting AVRs can convert the video signal to a different type such as composite to component. The reason to consider an upconverting AVR is to be able to make a single connection from your AVR to your TV even though your video sources output different signals.

Upconverting is also known as transcoding.

Some scenarios may be helpful for understanding the process.

Let’s say that you have a game cube connected using its standard composite video cable. Your DVD player is connected with component video. With an AVR that does not upconvert, you would have to run a composite and a component video connection from the AVR to the TV. Depending on what you wanted to watch, you may have to switch inputs on both the AVR and the TV. With an AVR which can upconvert to component video, you can run a single component video connection to your TV.

In another scenario, say your AVR upconverts to HDMI. You have a VHS player connected (for your old Duke's of Hazard recordings,) a DVD player connected with component video, and your PS3 connected with HDMI. Turn on HDMI upconversion, and all your sources are converted to HDMI. You only need run a single HDMI cable to your TV. You can leave your TV input set to HDMI, and do your audio/video switching from your AVR.

Some TVs allow you to have different settings for each input. Using upconversion and switching from the AVR won’t allow you to use that ability on your TV, which is one downside to digitizing the signal, and there have been reports that on some AVRs with some sources, it has not worked correctly. For example, someone reported issues with HDMI upconversion of their old Nintendo game system.

Make sure you understand exactly what the upconversion feature on a given AVR offers, there are a number of variations.

What are deintelacing and upscaling?

Some AVRs have video processing capabilities. The three main abilities are –
• Upconverting from one video type to another (mentioned above)
• Deinterlacing signals
• Changing signals to a different resolution (scaling)

They may have other abilities as well such as noise reduction.

Before going into this topic, it should be noted that AVR video processors often have limitations which make them less useful. A common one, at the time this was written, is that many AVRs cannot deinterlace or scale HDMI signals, only analog. Even if an AVR can process HDMI, many players cannot output 480i over HDMI. They are stuck with 480p. Given that deinterlacing is arguably more important than scaling, that makes your video processor less useful. You may think, well then, I will just use component from my player to output 480i. But that forces a digital to analog conversion that HDMI avoided! You may think ok, I only want AVR video processing for cable/satellite, and I will connect a component video cable. And maybe it will help depending on exactly what your setup is. But you should understand the current limitations of the technology.

Scaling is fairly easy to understand. Video signals are made up of a series of frames. The frame consists of a series of pixels (picture elements.) We create a new frame with more pixels using information from existing pixels.

Deinterlacing involves assembling two fields into a video frame. Each field has half the lines of a video frame, either the even or the odd lines. The process isn’t trivial because the fields were captured at different points in time. For a good picture, a video processor needs to intelligently deal with that. DVD and high definition movies are usually stored at 24 frames per second, while video is commonly output at 30 frames per second. Deinterlacers need to deal with that mismatch (http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm)

Deinterlacing is arguably harder than scaling. Which means that a good video processor in a AVR should be evaluated for its deinterlacer. DVD players are sometimes evaluated using a benchmark such as the Silicon Optix HQV benchmark. The same benchmark can be applied to an AVR. When reading a review on an AVR, take note of how they tested its video processing capabilities.

Most HDTVs have to deinterlace and scale signals which do not match their native resolution. The only exception would be CRT based HDTVs, which are uncommon. Most HDTVs have fixed pixel displays. LCD, Plasma and DLP display technologies are fixed pixel technologies. In fixed pixel displays, each video frame is made up of a fixed number of pixels. For example, a TV with a resolution of 1920x1080 has 1080 rows of 1920 pixels.

If you have a fixed pixel HDTV with a resolution of 1920x1080, it will convert all non 1080p signals to 1080p. Whether they be 480i analog from a cable box, 720p or 1080i they will be converted. Even 1080p inputs may not be exempt from scaling! (see the comments below on overscanning)

You should not consider video processing in a receiver because you think your 1080p TV is not giving you 1080p. It IS giving you that many pixels. The question is whether you can benefit from better deinterlacing and scaling in an AVR.

Turning on scaling may be undesirable. If your TV’s native resolution doesn’t match your setting, you will force multiple scaling to occur. For example, many LCD TVs have a resolution of 1376x768 which is called 720p, but isn’t really 720p. Older plasma TVs may have been advertised as 720p, but their resolution was not 1280x720. Scaling a DVD signal from 480 to 720 and sending that to a TV which does not have a true 720p resolution forces the TV to rescale the signal.

Another mismatch is with 1080p TVs. Even though most should have a true 1920x1080 resolution, they are likely set to to overscan the signal. This means that they crop the edges of the picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan.) This forces the TV to rescale regardless of what you send it. If you want to avoid this, you have to turn off overscan. If it won’t let you turn off overscan, your TV will always scale no matter what you send it. Even if you output 1080p from a blu-ray player, it will crop and rescan.

AVR video processors may do more than just deinterlace and scale. They may be able to perform tasks like video noise reduction. This can be good or bad. As video noise reduction is removing information, it could result in less detail.

The improvements of video processing can be subtle. Some videophiles have trained themselves to look for known issues, and therefore know what to look for. Untrained viewers may not even notice common deinterlacing issues. Don’t expect dramatic differences.

People looking for an AVR to improve a bad looking cable signal, shouldn’t expect much. Video processors can only do so much.

If you have multiple video processing options such as an upconverting video player and an AVR with upscaling capabilities, you may want to try out various combinations of settings to see which looks best (if any, you may not notice a difference.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TURBO']wrong, the TV does upscale. Some upscale better than others, but unless it's a 1:1 pixel w/ a huge black border it's upscaled.

a TV upscale will usually result in a softer look than an upscale from something like a PS3 (which is regarded as the best consumer electronics upscale, there are PC software upscalers which are better though).

It will always look better on a SDTV though. Even though the upscale results in a higher resolution all it's doing is guessing at what should be there. If youre watching DVDs, theyll always look best on a SDTV.[/quote]

Ditto. This is one of the primary reasons for the difference in prices on hdtv's. When you hear everyone talking about how if you get a hdtv you gotta get hd or it looks like ass, that is not totally true. The better tv's do a decent jof of scaling. (I would still go hd all the way as I have done) Bottom line is if you buy a budget hdtv expect one of the differences between it and a high end one to be how sd content looks.

Most hdtv's now have decent scalers in them vs a few years ago.

[quote name='DirkBelig']. . . Anything from 720p on up is officially considered HD and ABC and Fox broadcast 720p; CBS and NBC broadcast 1080i. . .[/quote]Not to be nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure ABC is 1080i leaving Fox and their myNetwork the only 720p broadcast networks.

Anyway, after I got my 1080p Plasma I tried watching some DVDs on my 360 w/component (didn't realize it would not be upscaled) and some movies looked ok, but my original version of The Matrix gave me headaches. When I got a PS3 I tried again and The Matrix looked a lot better because upscaling smoothed up the digital blocking, other movies looked better, some not so much as others have stated. Pixar movies look very good upscaled to the point that I'd rather get those for the kids due to cheapness. great look and being able to play the disc in mobile DVD players, etc. I mean the Pixar BRs look amazing, but their upscaled DVDs aren't to be laughed off. I don't have a lot of DVD to BR comparisons, but there's not as much difference between DVD and BR for Men In Black as I had expected. Anyway, I'd definitely do upscaling if I was you. It depends on the source material and it can't create something out of nothing, but it can clean it up by filling in rough edges well.

[quote name='mydecember1985']The tv itself actually doesnt upscale. it portrays whatever resolution you put into it. Did you set the dvd player to progressive scan to get a slightly better picture? If that's not easy enough to see a difference, try an animated movie... something along the lines of Flushed away's opening sequence or Ratatouille (sp?). Look for things like his cage or something with straight, finished lines and see if you the "granulated" look. I believe XBOX upscales dvds, and obviously a PS3 does.

I'll be back with pics. I am watching space chimps right now.[/quote]

HDTV's do upscale to their native resolution. Even when I was running component cables, my DVD's looked HD on my samsung. I'm now running HDMI through my 360 which upscales to 720p itself. Depending on your TV and which movie, some can look HD. Iron Man, Casino Royale, Superbad, Lord of the Rings, etc. are some I've noticed that look HD upscaled. Read THIS page for info on how HDTV's upscale DVD's without an upscaling dvd player.

[quote name='postulio']TURBO, what PC software upscalers are there? or could you direct me to a thread regarding this topic? i have an HTPC and would much rather use that...[/QUOTE]

Any video player that lets you stretch or scale or resize the view window, or lets you watch the video fullscreen, or whatever, is upscaling the video.

If you're watching SD video on an HDTV, from any source, and it isn't surrounded by a huge black border on all sides, then it's being upscaled.

Okay, goddamn it, fuck this. I fucking hate explaining things about HD video to people. I swear to god, as soon as you say anything about "aspect ratio" or "native resolution" or "pixels" or "resize," seriously, people's brains turn completely off.

From my personal experience it looks pretty mediocre and yes some movies look worse.

I've always felt it was like trying to get a jug of lemonade out a single small lemon and water.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Okay, goddamn it, fuck this. I fucking hate explaining things about HD video to people. I swear to god, as soon as you say anything about "aspect ratio" or "native resolution" or "pixels" or "resize," seriously, people's brains turn completely off.[/QUOTE]

Meh. Just go to AVS forums or one of the other A/V nerd sites and stay there with the other pompous A/V nerds who don't irritate you.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Okay, goddamn it, fuck this. I fucking hate explaining things about HD video to people. I swear to god, as soon as you say anything about "aspect ratio" or "native resolution" or "pixels" or "resize," seriously, people's brains turn completely off.[/quote]Wow that was sort of out of nowhere. I don't think people's brains 'turn off' - well some people yes - but I think in a forum thread like this, it's just people trying to get their heads around it all. It is a lot of information. And you don't have to dispense it.

FYI, just make sure you rent a DVD before deciding to purchase one if you are planning on watching it upscaled. Some DVD's have terrible, low-quality transfers, and while looking great on a standard-def TV they look like muddled garbage on a high-def TV, even if upscaled. In my experience, this tends to be mainly on movies with a lot of rich shades and blacks, like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Blu-ray for Harry Potter 5 looks fantastic on high def, while the DVD looks muddled, almost youtube quality in the darker scenes. The Pixar DVD's, however, all look fantastic upscaled, but then again, they make sure to focus on quality of image. It all depends on bitrate and quality of DVD encoding. Just make sure to rent before you buy if you are looking at the DVD.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Wow that was sort of out of nowhere. I don't think people's brains 'turn off' - well some people yes - but I think in a forum thread like this, it's just people trying to get their heads around it all. It is a lot of information. And you don't have to dispense it.[/quote]
Exactly true.
[quote name='dmaul1114']Meh. Just go to AVS forums or one of the other A/V nerd sites and stay there with the other pompous A/V nerds who don't irritate you.[/quote]

Why not create a sticky then with links to all the info at other sites. I have been thinking of doing that since it seems these hdtv and home theater questions pop up every other day.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Any video player that lets you stretch or scale or resize the view window, or lets you watch the video fullscreen, or whatever, is upscaling the video.

If you're watching SD video on an HDTV, from any source, and it isn't surrounded by a huge black border on all sides, then it's being upscaled.

Okay, goddamn it, fuck this. I fucking hate explaining things about HD video to people. I swear to god, as soon as you say anything about "aspect ratio" or "native resolution" or "pixels" or "resize," seriously, people's brains turn completely off.[/QUOTE]

sorry i misspoke, i know the difference and i know what is happening, i meant to ask for upconversion software. something that accomplishes on my pc what my hd-dvd player does (as of right now, playing on the hd-a30 looks nicer than off htpc)

thanks in advance.

DVD never looks "better' when upscaled. Too many artifacts are introduced to defeat the entire purpose. Better to just keep an SDTV in the house and watch DVDs on that. The closest thing to decent upscaling (in regards to picture quality) is to use the PS3 with the Double scale setting. You'll have bars all around the image but it is a clean scale of 2x and should have minimal image artifacts (still too much for a videophile to stomach). With any kind of upscaling you'll see a lot of pixelation and muddiness to background images that are intentionally out of focus. But the PS3's 2x scaler looks the nicest even if it sacrifices resolution real estate.

I think it depends on the film too...

I thought Trainspotting looked solid when I watched it on DVD recently... almost everything else I watched since is Blu-Ray or HD over the air.

When it boils down to it people just need to watch a non-upconverted DVD and a then watch the same scenes on the same TV upconverted and see if they think it looks better to their eyes.

At the end of the day all that matters is what looks better to you. Web forum advice just isn't much good for matters like this, or what type of HDTV to buy as too many people are hardcore videophiles and bitch about little technically things that most of us don't notice and couldn't give a shit less about. Again, it's an "ignorance is bliss" thing for me as I'm not a videophile and don't give a shit about all the technical elements of video or sound quality. I just like to watch movies, TV and play games and as long as it looks damn good to my eyes that's all I care about.

That said, I wouldn't recommend buying an upconverting player these days, now that there have been deals for good Blu Ray players (which upconvert) in the $150-200 range it's better to just save up for one of those and enjoy Blu Ray and upconverted DVDs.

bread's done
Back