How much does an average game weigh?

BrettFarveRetired

CAGiversary!
As not to start another thread...

I figured in order to save a little money and time, I am just going to print shipping labels up on PayPal. But obviously, I don't have a scale. Not that it really matters, because I'm just shipping out your average one-disc games in a DVD case. About how much do they weigh? They are under 13 ounces, right? So, I can just put the mailer in the mail box, correct? Thanks again guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I used mine during Christmas when all the newer ones were out of stock at the post office (I even gave them a few stacks to use). Just check the dimensions on the website and you should be good.

Thank you for such a quick response! I figured as much. The old ones look just like what they have listed under "medium" now, and the prices seem the same. I'm gonna use it and see what happens. I guess the worst that happens is that they bounce it back to me.

I usually put 6 oz. I will up it to 7 or 8 if it feels heavy. That is assuming you are using a 'normal' bubble mailer.

I would watch for a cheap digital kitchen scale if you are going to be shipping a lot of stuff. With coupons they can be pretty inexpensive, and they really do come in handy.

Most post offices have a scale around the P.O. boxes for you to use. I've found that a standard DVD case with disc in a bubble mailer should be $1.90 for first class postage.

Most Xbox games are 5-6 ounces that I have found. You can use Amazon for product weights and just round up to the nearest ounce.

Size 0 bubble mailers -
most DS games 4 oz ttl
most wii/ps3/360 games 5 oz ttl
double disc games ex. TOVesperia 6 oz ttl

a lil research on scales and you can most likely buy a small digital for under $20 (i lucked out at garage sales on two)
a scale pays for itself quickly ...

7-8 oz is very very rare ...

Mario Kart Wii with its thick freaking manual was 6.7 oz. I could bludgeon someone with that manual, because it's written is several languages.

Although, I forgot to take into account that 6.7 oz included the 6"x9" bubble mailer. So, 5-6 is probably about right. Calling it 7 oz should be plenty.

[quote name='BrettFarveRetired']So, basically, if I have a regular game and put it at like 7oz, I shouldn't have any issues?[/QUOTE]

Correct. I ship this way all the time and generally put 8 oz, but 7 I'm sure is fine too. I dont think there's a price difference between 7 & 8 oz anyway. Also I do happen to have a scale so I can weigh a bunch and get an average.

EDIT: Yeah my heaviest game was like 6.5 oz with most being around 6 so 7 is a good weight to put it as.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BrettFarveRetired'] They are under 13 ounces, right? So, I can just put the mailer in the mail box, correct? [/QUOTE]

The 13 oz rule does only applies to items with stamps, you can put an item of any weight with a Paypal label on it in a mail box as long as it fits. I have mailed a 3 pound package before and dropped it in a mail box.

my 3 pound package wouldn't fit in the slot.

I wish that my local post office had one of the APC machines like my old local post office. The package acceptor on those will take just about anything.

[quote name='yourlefthand']my 3 pound package wouldn't fit in the slot.[/QUOTE]

Lube it up first. Wait, what are we talking about?

A DS game in bubbles is usually 4oz. (figured I should contribute something)

You guys were very helpful. Thanks a bunch. I have one more question, though.

I printed out a bunch of labels last night. I didn't realize until a few in that you change the date on the label, so they have the 13th on them. Is it going to matter? I was going to drop them off at the post office, seeing as I have a bunch. Would rather not dump them all in a mail box. So, is that date going to matter?

[quote name='BrettFarveRetired']You guys were very helpful. Thanks a bunch. I have one more question, though.

I printed out a bunch of labels last night. I didn't realize until a few in that you change the date on the label, so they have the 13th on them. Is it going to matter? I was going to drop them off at the post office, seeing as I have a bunch. Would rather not dump them all in a mail box. So, is that date going to matter?[/QUOTE]

no

Not at all. I've done that in the past, as well. Print something up in the evening and not the change date. Doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't even know the point of the date being on there.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not at all. I've done that in the past, as well. Print something up in the evening and not the change date. Doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't even know the point of the date being on there.[/QUOTE]
i've had postal workers bitch at me for not having the correct date before.

Yeah, I hear you. Postal workers bitch about a lot of things, though, that are non-issues. I pretty much ignore them. If they give me a real hard time, I just bring it to a different post office, and then I likely have no issue. You generally won't run into two postal workers who have the same pet peeves about their job.

[quote name='BrettFarveRetired']
I printed out a bunch of labels last night. I didn't realize until a few in that you change the date on the label, so they have the 13th on them. Is it going to matter? I was going to drop them off at the post office, seeing as I have a bunch. Would rather not dump them all in a mail box. So, is that date going to matter?[/QUOTE]

I have had problems a lot of the time with mailing an item with it being 1 day past the date on the label. Once they told me they would make a one time exception and take them, another Post Office refused to take them and told me to void the labels and create new ones. It was too late to do that and I wasn't going to all that trouble so I just dropped them in the mailbox outside the post office. They were delivered no problem.

That's what I am doing tomorrow as well. I couldn't mail something yesterday because with 50+ mph winds and heavy rain I wasn't going to the post office so I am just going to throw it in the mailbox even though it has the 13th on it.

bread's done
Back