How much is it worth?

goodnight144

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
I've got a copy of Sunset Riders for the SNES that is complete in the box. The box is pretty beat up, but the cartridge and the booklet look brand new. What I can't seem to figure out is how much it is actually worth in resale value. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input guys, thought you might like to know the auction went for $41.01. It is going to cost me about $5 to ship it but overall I don't think I did bad it all!

[quote name='goodnight144']Thanks for the input guys, thought you might like to know the auction went for $41.01. It is going to cost me about $5 to ship it but overall I don't think I did bad it all![/QUOTE]

You'll lose roughly 15% of that on eBay/PP fees so don't forget about that.

Yeah after fees and everything I came out with about $32 for it. I guess the market for super nintendo stuff is just really good right now. It's crazy how much some of these games that are 20+ years old go for right now.

If you wanna make serious money selling games, then you need to learn the price trend for used and collectible items. Generally speaking, when a game launches it's worth about 80-95% of its MSRP once it's been opened. Fast forward about 6 months and maybe it's worth 25-50%. Move on to about 1-1.5 years and prices tend to bottom out unless it was a really limited release and has some cult following (things like Katamari for the Xbox are holding their value well for this reason). I just bought a PS3 (again) and 5 games. MGS for 10, Heavenly sword for 8, Uncharted 2 for 12, God of War 3 for 10, and Shadow of the Colossus for 30 (not an awesome deal on that one, but it's just gonna get more expensive at some point in the near future).

On the other end of that spectrum are games like COD, Forza, Sports titles, etc. which become nearly worthless once the sequel is released. This is the time to buy those releases if you have ANY interest in them, as they usually won't stay on shelves long with the price cuts that they get. I grabbed Forza 2 Platinum (with all the DLC on it) for .99 at Micro Center after F3 came out.

Special editions usually see a spike in value pretty shortly after release, especially if it's close to the holidays. This is because there's people that either wanted it but couldn't find it at release, or didn't realize that there was one at the time. I bought two copies of the special edition of Skyward Sword (yes, I was THAT guy), waited 2 months, then sold them both on Amazon for 149.99 a pop when I paid 70 for each online with free shipping and no sales tax. After fees and whatnot, I made about 100-110 bucks, which is an awesome return on a 2 month investment.

Once games get into that 10+ year-old range, then they become a lot harder to find. It's not to say that any 10 year title is worth money, but you better believe that if it was a relatively collectible title at its release, then it's gonna be really pricey at this point, ESPECIALLY if it has that cult-like status I mentioned before (see E.V.O. for the SNES).

Wiggyx is spot on,

I'd like to supplement this with, towards the end of a systems market lifespan there will be some games that can become quite valuable because they got a low print run (also happens in other collectible lines)...and/or were unnoticed titles that find success later on in the collectors market.

Wish I would have held on to my SNES (and NES for that matter)...especially the copy of chrono trigger I had with the box and manual and everything. Just gave the stuff away to my brother like 15 years ago and never saw it again. I kept all the boxes and manuals to every game I had, even NBA jam, lol. Its like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

You did good on Sunset Riders. I have a nice Earthbound for the SNES. I like to see how it's selling on Ebay once in a while. My collection of SNES games is at around 50 or so and it seems some of it is worth some money.

Since I am now at the half century mark I'm starting to think about who to bequeath my collection to...

Yea, I had gotten rid of a virtual boy that I got 20.00 on clearance and traded it for a TV...good trade for the time, years later the Virtual Boy got expensive and it made me sad...then got fairly cheap again and I got one with 6 games for really cheap last year.

Not when when I was 5, but a few years later I started keeping all my manuals and boxes. This has made a lot of people happy when I traded something off or sold it, I've gotten comments on how pristine or new my stuff looked. Somehow though I didn't get rid of my virtual boy boxes and manuals, and I found them packed away. The Virtual boy paperwork is about as expensive as the actual system lol.

Thanks for the tips guys, I definitely feel more prepared now and just in the short time I have been on CAG I have learned a ton on what to look for as far as video games go. Venturin if you go to the ebay auctions thread someone got over a grand for their copy of earthbound that was new in the box (unsealed though). The funny thing about that copy of Sunset Riders was that it was probably sitting in my dad's garage for several years.

Be careful with holding onto games to profit off them. More and more will get rereleased, remaked, put on compilations, available as downloads. It can be hit and miss.

^^^ This. It's all about hitting the market when the time is just right, whether buying or selling.

In my experience, just don't hold out forever. If you can make a good buck selling it right now, then do so.

Seems to me the nostalgia sweet spot is about 30 years. A toy that was made back then is now fondly remembered and often sought after. After that 30 year time span I think that era is mostly forgotten for the next generation.

SNES is hot now, the problem will be that PSX era and later games on disks will degrade and become unplayable (Dreamcast, I'm looking at you!)

I agree though I'd say the number can vary from 20-30 years depending on what age group the original item catered to. But, yeah. 20+ years later you're grown up, may have a good job and can suddenly afford to pay for inflated prices. Maybe you have no kids and a lot of disposable income, or are pining for that nostalgia of childhood.

I do think Atari's definitely gone into the past it's prime in collector's value stage. GI Joe and Transformers I think are in or soon to be in that stage.

I will say I think Lego is resistant to this effect. Not only has it been around forever, it doesn't change much, and the kind of person it appeals to is less likely to lose interest (IMO anyway).

[quote name='venturin']Seems to me the nostalgia sweet spot is about 30 years. A toy that was made back then is now fondly remembered and often sought after. After that 30 year time span I think that era is mostly forgotten for the next generation.

SNES is hot now, the problem will be that PSX era and later games on disks will degrade and become unplayable (Dreamcast, I'm looking at you!)[/QUOTE]

Wait, you're implying the imbedded data on a CD/DVD will degrade before a cartridge will lose its ability to function?!

That seems entirely unsubstantiated to me.

bread's done
Back