how much is too much?

momshotdad

CAGiversary!
im about to leave to go to college in the fall, and i am already planning on taking my xbox 360 slim, my 22'' vizio tv, and a macbook pro. i also picked up a black wii today, but i am not sure if i should open it or not. i love the wii and it has some great stuff coming out for it, but im just not sure if i take ALL that stuff would it be too much? thanks for the help.

bring it imo....chicks love the wii plus it makes for good drinking fun...if you're into that kind of thing :D

Bring it all except the Wii. You will need a computer for work, a tv is nice to have and one gaming console is always good to have. I wouldn't recommend having multiple consoles at school though.

[quote name='JoeJohn']Leave them all of them at home. I am sure your roommates will bring them. Study Study Study college man!!![/QUOTE]

This.

Between classes, a job?, and studying, I doubt you'll have much time for one system, let alone two...

[quote name='mtxbass1']This.

Between classes, a job?, and studying, I doubt you'll have much time for one system, let alone two...[/QUOTE]

I don't know man - I never had more free time in my life than when I was in college (all I had back then was a SNES!).

From personal experience, take as little as possible if you want to do well. Also, if you're in a dorm, always keep in mind that the smaller your stuff is, the easier it is to steal. Don't bring anything that would make you cry if a minute's negligence from your roommate could cost you.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know man - I never had more free time in my life than when I was in college (all I had back then was a SNES!).[/QUOTE]

Yea, I had a lot of free time last year. and still pulled a 3.2. Didn't work a job, but unless you are working more than 20 hours a week you will be fine and have free time to play some video games.

I would say try to carry as little electronics as possible when going anywhere but your home. If anything ever happens and things go missing they can only take what's there. You can just sign up for OnLive though and all your problems would be solved! :D I kid lol. Focus young one and you won't miss whatever you leave behind.
Anyone know what the Kensington lock thingy is btw? I know it's a lock (dur) but I don't know how it works. They added it to the 360 slim so tell him about that if ya use one in school.

Good luck sir and have fun! :)

Edit: Forget I mentioned the Kensington lock, I looked it up on youtube and it's nothing but "How to break a Kensington lock" lol. It'll take someone an extra minute to get your crap but you can just order a stealth ninja to guard your shit and live in your ceiling. This isn't a security thread and I'm not trying to make ya paranoid so forget I mentioned this and back on topic. O_O

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']This.

Between classes, a job?, and studying, I doubt you'll have much time for one system, let alone two...[/QUOTE]

My last 2 years of college I scheduled all of my classes on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons/evenings, which gave me every Wednesday off and 5-day weekends EVERY WEEK.

You'll have plenty of time for games. :D

Be careful though, stuff can be stolen/lost easily depending on your living situation/"friends".

[quote name='Gameboy415']My last 2 years of college I scheduled all of my classes on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons/evenings, which gave me every Wednesday off and 5-day weekends EVERY WEEK.

You'll have plenty of time for games. :D

Be careful though, stuff can be stolen/lost easily depending on your living situation/"friends".[/QUOTE]

My last year of college I was studying my ass off and working 40 hours a week. It's going to be different for everyone.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know man - I never had more free time in my life than when I was in college (all I had back then was a SNES!).[/QUOTE]

I barely worked during college, got a 3.0 and played tons of games (especially the last two years).

Depends on what your majoring in, what kind of workload you'll have, and what kind of GPA you're shooting for (aim high!).

My first year, it was like SSB (original) party every evening. Then I had to gradually wean myself off due to increasing workload. By the end, I was lucky to have an hour to play in any given week, but I was fairly involved in a lot of extracurricular activities.

All in all, what I do remember and cherish about my college experience are the times I spent doing the said activities and not so much the gaming. Sure, they kept me busy as hell, but I love that I got to experience all that!

Still, having a great time with your buddies once in a while on the 360/wii is also important. I would say bring it all, but only if you're prepared to exercise some self-control. Good luck, buddy!

Just take whatever stuff you want to. Don't worry about how it'll affect your grades -- if you don't have the discipline, you'll do poorly regardless of what electronic shit you happen to have with you.

That said, you should realistically have a lot of free time (though that's largely dependent on your major, or if you're doing two majors.) In my case, I found that college got easier as I progressed through it, and I had so much free time that I didn't know what to do with it.

Even though I think you'll have all the time in the world, I'd only bring the 360 - it will be enough to keep you busy. You should be focused on getting drunk with your friends, hooking up with as many hot chicks as possible and getting good grades - they are all equally important, IMO. Video games will fill in the gaps when there isn't much else going on (which is rare because there is ALWAYS something to do at college no matter what day of the week it is or what hour of the day). God I wish I could go back.

The laptop is a must. The TV would be nice but completely unnecessary unless you're also taking a console/DVD/Bluray player. Do you have room for all this shit in a dorm room? And like some others have said, gaming in college can be a waste compared to other pursuits.

yeah ill be in an apartment with 1 roomate and i can lock my doors. and im not a partier or someone that is going to go crazy when i get there. my parents are also not letting me get a job...

A lot of schools require a computer/laptop, so bring that. And a TV is close to a necessity. (I know, it's not, but still...)

Bring the 360 to game on, and leave anything/everything else at home. Worst case, you can take more back to the apartment when you go back to visit your folks.

That's too much crap to be bringing man. Unless you have a roommate that you're tight with and can just have it in a safe room locked up, then it's not worth it.

Think about when you get all screwed up and invite people back to your place and you pass out on the bathroom floor. There's going to be people running through your crap.

Then again maybe you could afford to take the risk in losing it and why not have more junk with you.

Really though college is a remedy to lose things. Just make sure you carry condoms.

Well, I am going to be a junior this year and I would say bring as much as you feel is needed? (I will continue to explain haha)

Videogames are a great way of meeting new people and bringing them together. Sounds dumb, but its true. Also when you have free time and nothing else to do, you will be glad you have them.

I am a Business with Applied Science major, which means I am taking all of the science core along with the entire business core (Chem, Bio, Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, all the labs, etc + Marketing, Accounting, Business Ethics etc) and I am doing fine. I also am an RA so I have an on campus job that requires far more time that one would think. But yeah, this year I am bringing my computer with 2 monitors, one of which (Samsung T260hd) doubles as a TV and gaming monitor (as well as computer monitor obviously). Then I will have a shitty 19 inch tube TV on the other side of my room by my bed along with a 46 inch Sony LCD and 5.1 Surround Sound System....

Hahaha, yeah I have a ton. But granted I can manage my time well and my friends and I love to play games.

In the end it comes down to, can you manage time well? If you can, bring it all. If not, I would say bring less.

I had plenty of free time this year, even while taking honors classes and maintaining close to a perfect GPA.

Heck, I think I platinumed ~10 games.

That said, the time required to do well will definitely vary. Some people can cram an entire book before a test, others need to outline every chapter. If you're the type that needs to put an enormous amount of effort to do well, maybe consider limiting the distractions.

Granted my classes are ridiculously hard, I'm a full time student (gonna be in my second year next year) and I have crap loads of time on my hands... then again I don't have a girlfriend and I didn't have a job last semester so that may be why;)

bread's done
Back