How Much to Develop Voice Recognition?

A Happy Panda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
I'm writing a marketing plan for my marketing class and was wondering if anyone knew how much approximately it would cost a developer to write a full-featured Voice Recognition system ala Tom Clancy's End War?

I'm writing about a new feature that EA Sports could implement into their sports games that basically allows players to call out plays through their microphone.

Please only reply if you have first hand knowledge, don't try to give me an estimate unless you have a credible source you can cite.

Also if you do have first-hand knowledge, I'll probably PM you so I can get your info to have you noted as a citation

Enough to make it a very questionable choice. There are off the shelf engines that can be licensed for far less cost. Far, far less.

This is non-trivial stuff with the best techniques tied up by patents. Even the best has a learning curve for the user unless the range is kept very simple, as in DS games using speech input.

EA is probably the only company of sufficient size to make it viable to develop their own speech input engine and even then it would require a very deep commitment to using it in a lot of titles to spread out the cost. If poorly received by consumers it would be a disaster. Which makes it the very kind of thing big conservative companies like EA avoid.

[quote name='epobirs']Enough to make it a very questionable choice. There are off the shelf engines that can be licensed for far less cost. Far, far less.

This is non-trivial stuff with the best techniques tied up by patents. Even the best has a learning curve for the user unless the range is kept very simple, as in DS games using speech input.

EA is probably the only company of sufficient size to make it viable to develop their own speech input engine and even then it would require a very deep commitment to using it in a lot of titles to spread out the cost. If poorly received by consumers it would be a disaster. Which makes it the very kind of thing big conservative companies like EA avoid.[/QUOTE]

Any idea if Ubisoft developed the tech in-house for End War or if they used a middle ware to do it?

Also, do you have any idea of a concrete number you could attach to such an endeavor? In the millions, or tens of millions?

I chose EA because the EA Sports brand seemed to be the most logical to implement such a feature. Also, since they have all those sports games, they could definitely spread out the feature in all those games.

bread's done
Back