How religious are you?

Eh, I wish I could be religious, but I just don't have the willpower. Just in case I didn't make it clear, I am religious, I just don't execute it. I guess you could say I'm agnostic. I want to believe/do believe there is a God, I just don't know how to find him/her.

Religious or spiritual? I haven't met an organized religion I've loved yet, but I definitely have a notion of transcendence that I strive for.

I haven't been to church in weeks. To tell u the truth, I don't really see a purpose to it other than learning the book. To me, I use my intuition to help me view things in life(and find answers).

[quote name='Scorch']And help1 has started again with the polls..[/quote]

Well, you see, this isn't a STUPID poll....

BTW, Im sorta religious...

[quote name='help1']wow! there are alot of atheists.......[/quote]

Not to stereotype, but your on a video game message board. What do you expect.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='help1']wow! there are alot of atheists.......[/quote]

Not to stereotype, but your on a video game message board. What do you expect.[/quote]

True.....

Not religious at all.

While, for the most part, religions of the world provide good teachings, in the end, religion (specifically, organized religion) is nothing more than a method to control large groups of people.

As for being personally religious, I would again say "no" with respect to pretending that through prayer I have some sort of relationship with some all-powerful being.

To me, the notion of God represents a desire to explain the unknown, so I guess in that respect I can call myself religious.

I am religious. I am a Baptist. I go to church regularly, but I have missed the last couple Sundays, due to school.

I don't like to use the term "religious." Just call me a Christian. Honestly, I don't really think of Christianity as a religion, but as more of a relationship than anything else. It's really hard to explain...I will just say that I love God and Jesus Christ with all my heart.

And video games. I love video games. Which is why I'm here. Not all Christians are the stuck-up conservative people who rally to protest anything and everything. I'm currently enjoying Halo 2 right now and it's (supposedly) one of the top ten most violent games out there.

I know I'll get a lot of flaming for talking about Christianity, but I honestly don't think I'm any better or "holier than thou." All I can say is that I have found a peace that surpasses understanding. It feels as if my life is complete. Not trying to force my beliefs down anyone's throat...just trying to discuss them in a friendly manner. :)

[quote name='Maverick CRV']I don't like to use the term "religious." Just call me a Christian. Honestly, I don't really think of Christianity as a religion, but as more of a relationship than anything else. It's really hard to explain...I will just say that I love God and Jesus Christ with all my heart.

And video games. I love video games. Which is why I'm here. Not all Christians are the stuck-up conservative people who rally to protest anything and everything. I'm currently enjoying Halo 2 right now and it's (supposedly) one of the top ten most violent games out there.

I know I'll get a lot of flaming for talking about Christianity, but I honestly don't think I'm any better or "holier than thou." All I can say is that I have found a peace that surpasses understanding. It feels as if my life is complete. Not trying to force my beliefs down anyone's throat...just trying to discuss them in a friendly manner. :)[/quote]

/me turns away from writing his research paper on religion to reply to this post.

Yeah dude.. that's all great and whatnot. But the thing is, religion attracts fundamentalism more than anything else. I mean think about it.. to some people, religion is life and death. And not just life and death, but afterlife and afterdeath (huh?) too. Yaknow.. back in the days of slavery, Christianity is all those people had, they dreamed of better days. They continued to suffer (instead of revolting sooner) because they had hope that things would be better in the afterlife... This is just one example but you can see how powerful it is. Well, if you have nothing else, you take your beliefs seriously. And since they are such strong beliefs, it's difficult to accept the beliefs of others. This, as you can tell by looking at the world around you, creates problems. I'll make a short list: 9/11, Israel/Palestine, Pakistan/India, Salem Witch Trials, IRA/British rule, Nazi, Germany... it goes on, for miles :\

With some people, it's either agree or die. I often find this to be the case with Christians, maybe more subtly... no death is involved, but threats of damnation. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Jesus makes himself available to you, and if you don't believe, you're going to Hell!" It's like wtf dude relax, yaknow? -end of rant-

Im not religious at all, when i used toi have to go to church i would fall asleep. I hated church, never believed any of the bullshit in the bible and thought everyone there was whack. just my opinion.

[quote name='PhrostByte']

With some people, it's either agree or die. I often find this to be the case with Christians, maybe more subtly... no death is involved, but threats of damnation. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Jesus makes himself available to you, and if you don't believe, you're going to Hell!" It's like wtf dude relax, yaknow? -end of rant-[/quote]

Sounds like Maverick CRV is plenty relaxed and you have a stick up your ass.

[quote name='PhrostByte'][quote name='Maverick CRV']I don't like to use the term "religious." Just call me a Christian. Honestly, I don't really think of Christianity as a religion, but as more of a relationship than anything else. It's really hard to explain...I will just say that I love God and Jesus Christ with all my heart.

I know I'll get a lot of flaming for talking about Christianity, but I honestly don't think I'm any better or "holier than thou." All I can say is that I have found a peace that surpasses understanding. It feels as if my life is complete. Not trying to force my beliefs down anyone's throat...just trying to discuss them in a friendly manner. :)[/quote]

/me turns away from writing his research paper on religion to reply to this post.

Yeah dude.. that's all great and whatnot. But the thing is, religion attracts fundamentalism more than anything else. I mean think about it.. to some people, religion is life and death. And not just life and death, but afterlife and afterdeath (huh?) too. Yaknow.. back in the days of slavery, Christianity is all those people had, they dreamed of better days. They continued to suffer (instead of revolting sooner) because they had hope that things would be better in the afterlife... This is just one example but you can see how powerful it is. Well, if you have nothing else, you take your beliefs seriously. And since they are such strong beliefs, it's difficult to accept the beliefs of others. This, as you can tell by looking at the world around you, creates problems. I'll make a short list: 9/11, Israel/Palestine, Pakistan/India, Salem Witch Trials, IRA/British rule, Nazi, Germany... it goes on, for miles :\

With some people, it's either agree or die. I often find this to be the case with Christians, maybe more subtly... no death is involved, but threats of damnation. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Jesus makes himself available to you, and if you don't believe, you're going to Hell!" It's like wtf dude relax, yaknow? -end of rant-[/quote]

I understand what you're saying. And yes, a lot of Christians have not been good representatives of Christianity. I just want to stress that we're not all like that.

It's fine, man. Like I said, I'm not trying to force anyone to believe what I believe or start a big debate war or anything. I'm just responding to the poll and explaining my beliefs (in hopes that some people will be open-minded and exchange friendly banter). :)

[quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]

What's up lootr, I haven't seen you on the boards lately .... probably my fault though I have been pretty damn busy.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]
So, what, you live the thug life vicariously through your web handles like "looter 2 core ?" Seems like you should be projecting a better image.

I don't think this is a very good subject to talk about on this board.
But then again, we're not GameFAQ's so I guess it won't get too heated.

...Anywayz, I'm atheist. I don't beleive in any form of "God" or higher being.

[quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]

What's up lootr, I haven't seen you on the boards lately .... probably my fault though I have been pretty damn busy.[/quote]

Oh nothing up, peaks and valleys, more busy now as basketball season has started up ( I'm coaching again....)

[quote name='Maverick CRV'][quote name='PhrostByte'][quote name='Maverick CRV']I don't like to use the term "religious." Just call me a Christian. Honestly, I don't really think of Christianity as a religion, but as more of a relationship than anything else. It's really hard to explain...I will just say that I love God and Jesus Christ with all my heart.

I understand what you're saying. And yes, a lot of Christians have not been good representatives of Christianity. I just want to stress that we're not all like that.

It's fine, man. Like I said, I'm not trying to force anyone to believe what I believe or start a big debate war or anything. I'm just responding to the poll and explaining my beliefs (in hopes that some people will be open-minded and exchange friendly banter). :)[/quote]

A lot of people seem to not be good representatives of their chosen faith, but there are exceptions of course ;)

[quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]

What's up lootr, I haven't seen you on the boards lately .... probably my fault though I have been pretty damn busy.[/quote]

Ya know this is the first thread that will reveal my nickname. Lootr2Core... doesn't mean I'm into looting....

what could it mean? :wink:

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]

Ya know this is the first thread that will reveal my nickname. Lootr2Core... doesn't mean I'm into looting....

what could it mean? :wink:[/quote]

You have a big penis?

[quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]

You have a big penis?[/quote]

well aside from the obvious I mean.. LOOTr

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Lutheran, never miss a sunday :) starman9000! I just don't know what life would be like without it.[/quote]

You have a big penis?[/quote]

well aside from the obvious I mean.. LOOTr[/quote]

Are you the type of guy that goes into the $5 sales and hoards like 50 copies of Gitaroo Man :)

Born catholic but I dont believe any of the stuff related to jesus or any superpowers. It is funny how all these miracles about turning water into wine, parting the Red Sea, Talking burning bushes, healing of criples, resurrection, etc. happened in a time where there were no Camcorders or cameras to record such events. All religions were created to promote some kind of order (thru fear or guilt) and to help explain our origins and purpose in life. My son goes to Sunday school in order to keep my relatives happy.

im Catholic by name but not spirit. I havent gone to church since like easter, (not including school masses) i only went to 2 CCD classes in 7th grade and havent gone since (im now a freshman in high school) I guess i just dont want to commit to a religion, they have so many restricting rules and they make you feel guilty for lots of crap. I guess the only reason im "catholic" is because my parents are.
I especially hate it when people say i should ask god and thank god for ridiculous things. Can't I take the shaqfuing credit for something I did?

Born again Christian (Non denominational) and in truth I should practice alot more of what I learn. Truth be told, I am not as religious as I could be.

I'm sorta religious. I feel that it an important part of my life and that its formed who I am and how I make my deiscions to some extent. I am Christian, but I definitly try to study other religions and traditions and try to form a more universal concept of a higher power. For me, I;m Catholic because I was born Catholic. I feel like my religion is my religion because it fits me. If Bhuddism fits you, then by all means... I think we're trying to get to the same goal. Atheism... thats a concept that I'm not sure I'll ever be fully comfortable with. It never seemed to me like it was possible that the complexities of reality were all just some big cosmic mistake. In many ways I feel like it takes more faith to believe it was a conicidence. As far as people who don't like organized religion, I understand that completely. Some churchs, temples, and religions out there are pretty fucked up. Sorry bout that, I promise not all religious people are like that. Yeah, end rant I suppose. Just kinda typing thoughts as they come. Feel free to flame...

bread's done
Back