How risky is it to game on a Plasma?

Chris in Cali

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (88%)
I'm looking into getting a new HDTV for my bedroom, and there are two sets I'm checking out. I recently picked a 46" Samsung DLP for the media room, and I love it, but for a small room a DLP wouldn't work. Anyway, one is a 42" Plasma, and the other is a 42" LCD. I was going to go with the LCD because I've heard horror stories about Plasmas getting burn-in, even just from quick pauses in movies, let alone a life-bar on a game.

Both sets will put me out about $2,000, but the Plasma is a Samsung, and the LCD is a Olivia. I've had good luck with Samsung's products, but if there's a good chance of burn-in, I'm thinking of going for the LCD. On paper the Samsung is a better set, but I just don't know, and need advice.

I've had a Panasonic Plasma for the last year, and I haven't had any burn-in problems. My impression is that burn-in isn't nearly the problem it used to be. Also, you have to be more careful in the early life of the TV, although again, I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever.

That said, we have some old plasmas at work that display CNBC all-day long, and the tickers are majorly burned-in. But I think that's the exact example of what you shouldn't do to a plasma (or any TV for that matter).

bread's done
Back