How safe are CRT TVs?

TruMontana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
I've been wanting to play some classic consoles (PS2, dreamcast and gamecube) however my 22" HDTV has some horrible input delay on them..

So I've been looking into getting a 15-20" CRT tv mainly for old consoles however I have very limited space and I would have to put it right next to my monitor...and I'd be...roughly 2 feet away from the screen..and I was wondering if that would be safe since CRTs produce radiation?

CRT glass has lead in it, which is supposed to make it fine. My face is 2 feet away from 2 CRT monitors as we speak. I'm almost certain that there is no issue.

I've been seeing a lot of SDTV's at thrift stores lately. Been thinking if my standard definition television (has component inputs) kicks the bucket, then I'll find one easily there.

Figured it would be safe to use a CRT. Never heard of anyone getting radiation poisoning from a CRT TV. Wear a lead apron or abandon classic gaming to be safe. lol

If it produec radiation then we'd all have super powers, that is how it works right???? Exposure to prolong radiation and you become a super powered freak???

I doubt they're any more dangerous than lcds or plasmas. If you check craigslist you can probably find larger size HD CRTs for nearly free too. I picked up some 30-34" ones for free (HD 1080i). Heavy as hell though.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']christ dude who cares, your not going to live forever you know. Might as well die from radioactive images of pikmin and crazy taxi[/QUOTE]

I think there's kind of a deal where people want to get as much time as possible on Earth. Probably to do something important with their lives besides, you know, making dumb-ass forum posts...

[quote name='mr dude65']i think there's kind of a deal where people want to get as much time as possible on earth. Probably to do something important with their lives besides, you know, making dumb-ass forum posts...[/quote]

ouch!

I have an old 4:3 LCD monitor with built in speakers (1280x1024) and I bought this VGA box and it works with my Saturn, PS1, PS2, DC, GC, XBOX games. I doesn't work for older systems though like SNES, NES Genesis etc... But for the systems I mentioned earlier it works great and games look good and the monitor is pretty slim so doesn't take up much space or hurt my eyes.

To me the thing I hate most about CRT is that it really hurts your eyes if you play hours at a time. I used to play FFXI on a CRT TV for a while and if I played long my eyes would start to tear up and hurt. It was bad, that's when i decided to switch all my TVs and monitors to LCD and I never looked back and moved on to LED LCD since.

They still sell 4:3 LCDs apparently. Mine is very similar to this one sold at newegg. You might be able to buy a cheaper one used just make sure it has speakers so you can have sound in your games unless you wanna hook the sound to a receiver or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='roymustang']I have an old 4:3 LCD monitor with built in speakers (1280x1024) and I bought this VGA box and it works with my Saturn, PS1, PS2, DC, GC, XBOX games. I doesn't work for older systems though like SNES, NES Genesis etc... But for the systems I mentioned earlier it works great and games look good and the monitor is pretty slim so doesn't take up much space or hurt my eyes.

To me the thing I hate most about CRT is that it really hurts your eyes if you play hours at a time. I used to play FFXI on a CRT TV for a while and if I played long my eyes would start to tear up and hurt. It was bad, that's when i decided to switch all my TVs and monitors to LCD and I never looked back and moved on to LED LCD since.
[/QUOTE]

I had the opposite happen to me when I first started college. My house had mostly CRT televisions. The school's computer labs had all LCD monitors. My eyes would hurt similar to what you described. I got used to LCD monitors and don't have that problem as much, unless I spend a long period of time staring at an LCD monitor.

[quote name='roymustang']
[/QUOTE]

Just wait until you buy an S-IPS TFT and witness the ips glow. If your eyes hurt from a CRT blowing dust into your dried up eyes, wait until they have to refocus all the time staring on a display with ips glow.

[quote name='roymustang']I have an old 4:3 LCD monitor with built in speakers (1280x1024) and I bought this VGA box and it works with my Saturn, PS1, PS2, DC, GC, XBOX games. I doesn't work for older systems though like SNES, NES Genesis etc... But for the systems I mentioned earlier it works great and games look good and the monitor is pretty slim so doesn't take up much space or hurt my eyes.[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking of getting a VGA box/converter for my LCD monitor..however I've read up that they can cause some really bad input delay ( just like my HDTV I tried to play these consoles on) so I decided against it..

Do you notice any kind of input delay?

[quote name='Kia-Tiaph']Just wait until you buy an S-IPS TFT and witness the ips glow. If your eyes hurt from a CRT blowing dust into your dried up eyes, wait until they have to refocus all the time staring on a display with ips glow.[/QUOTE]

The CRT hurts my eyes because of the way it refreshes, with the electron beam constantly sweeping the screen, even at 60Hz I can still see the screen blinking constantly. On old CRT computer monitors I was able to set the refresh rate to 100Hz to make it more bearable. On LCDs there's no blinking whatsoever. And with edge-lit LED the light isn't shining out from the back of the screen at my eyes. looking at my PC monitor now feels no different than looking at a sheet of paper, I could do it all day.

[quote name='TruMontana']I was actually thinking of getting a VGA box/converter for my LCD monitor..however I've read up that they can cause some really bad input delay ( just like my HDTV I tried to play these consoles on) so I decided against it..

Do you notice any kind of input delay?[/QUOTE]

No not really, but then again I wasn't playing fighting games, mostly JRPGs so it was less of an issue. Read the reviews for it, I don't think many people complained of input delays though.

Wow, I must be really old if there are people on here who are afraid of CRTs! Radiation risk? I must have a dozen brain tumors from when I'd watch Star Trek: TNG right in front of the TV when I was a kid.

bread's done
Back