How should I go about getting a 360 online with wireless internet?

Linksys wireless gaming b adapter (I think that's what it's called?) is what I'm using.

Got it for about $20 shipped, the only problem I can recall is that some people have trouble getting it to work.

[quote name='DT778']^ I have it and it does work with WPA.[/quote]

This is what im talking about: link and it definitely doesn't work with wpa, unless there's some sort of workaround

I know exactly what you are talking about and it does work with WPA.

check out one of the reviews

stars-5-0._V47081849_.gif
Works with Xbox360/WPA Encryption, March 31, 2007
By Enoch E. Dinsley - See all my reviews

Although it took about 30 minutes (on and off) to set up, I was able to get the adapter to work with my Xbox360 as well as my wireless network which uses WPA encryption. I followed the advice of another user and set up the adapter using my PC. Once I had it working on the PC, I just plugged it into the 360 and it worked perfectly.

This is a great value.

[quote name='blackbird3216']Hey, i saw this on another thread, but looks like a good value. Your xbox/Tivo(or whatever you have on it) will connect to it through ethernet, and it has 4 ports. $40 cheaper than the Xbox wireless kit. And good review too.
http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Converter-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000BNDEZY/ref=dp_return_1/104-0435802-1421526?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics
Btw, it supports WPA.[/quote] Too expensive for me. As of right now, the Linksys WGA11B is the cheapest wireless bridge I can find (plus it has a lot of praise), but I'd like to find it cheaper if I could. Is it easy to set up and does it keep a connection?

Ok , the main problem is this: Do you have wireless G, B, A, or N? B IMO is too slow. If your internet connection is 4mbps or more, then wireless B will slow down your connection alot. With my wii, 64 key WPA, i still get a decent 2mbps, from 7mbps, and Im using Wireless G. It could be worse with B.

Not really, but everyone knows the wrt54g is G. So, if you have a G router, you shouldnt really get a B, cause B is slow(wireless is tested at 12mb but in real experience, its 4mbps max.) Unless your in a budget, you shouldn't stick with B.

I bought it refurbished on amazon last year.

I guess I got a good deal back then because I see that they are only $30+ now.

You could always try ebay and see if you can win one for cheap.

I've been watching ebay the past 5 days or so and all of them have been $35+ shipped. If that's what the going price is, I guess I'm going to have to pony up more dough than I'd like.

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']G's really only needed for file sharing. If you're streaming files/etc you might see a slowdown, B should be more than enough for gaming.[/quote] Now that I think of it, it's true that 4mbps max might be enough for gaming, but "could" be some delay/slowdown.

im still holding out until i can find the offical 360 a/b/g one...

i have tried those b (logitech cube) and while they work.. the dl speeds suck

[quote name='westbank1']just buy this, http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-XBOX-Wireless-Adapter-MN-740-Boxed-X-Box-Live_W0QQitemZ220142957416QQihZ012QQcategoryZ41015QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem it's for the original xbox but works perfectly fine on 360's. I'm using one now. So easy to set up, just plug in and it takes probably 5 minutes to set up. I found mine on ebay used but with everything, manual and case for like 35-40$.

Model MN-740 xbox wireless adapter[/QUOTE]
hehe, the first bid for that was $2.

[quote name='blackbird3216']I never tried ebay. I just don't trust them.[/quote]

as long as you buy from the right people you shouldnt have a prob...

im using my old xbox one i had way back in the day of halo 2 :p. also, if you have a laptop you can plug ur 360 into ur laptop and bridge both connections and itll work. there should be tutorials somewhere on the net that you can use cuz u needa open up ur bridge too or ull only get limited connection. Kinda like forwarding ports but w/ ur laptop and 360 haha. PM me if you need help?

Just in case you have a computer or laptop nearby with a wireless connection already (like me):

You can enable Internet Connection Sharing on your Wireless adapter (turn it on while you're not connected, otherwise it spurts an error message, at least for me). After you enable it, connect an ethernet cable to your wired connection port (you should have one, if not, PCI NICs are dirt cheap) and give it a go. It works like a charm from my computer to my 360.

Of course, not everyone has a computer as nearby as I do, but hey, it works. Also, I haven't done any gaming on 360 (waiting to re-up Gold membership for Halo 3), so I can only attest that this works well for general Marketplace downloads. The downloads are decently fast coming from a 802.11g card, through what I assume is a 100Mbit connection through the wire.

EDIT: Didn't notice martinl's mention of the bridge. That might work too, I've never tried it. Also, this does NOT work to stream video or other material through the network, unless it's on the computer you're connected to. All other network computers are not able to be seen through a connection share as I described. (But through the wire it works great!)

I actually do have a laptop with a USB adapter right next to where the 360 will be...
So I won't even need to buy anything (the 360 comes with an ethernet cable and I have an ethernet port on my laptop)? Can anyone else vouch for this being a good option? I didn't even know about this.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I actually do have a laptop with a USB adapter right next to where the 360 will be...
So I won't even need to buy anything (the 360 comes with an ethernet cable and I have an ethernet port on my laptop)? Can anyone else vouch for this being a good option? I didn't even know about this.[/quote]
I've done this with my iMac and laptop. Its worked pretty well for me. Only difference is that it takes a couple of seconds longer to connect to Live. Downloads and playing online are about the same if I were to connect it directly to the router.

bread's done
Back