How Strong is Nintendo's Wireless Connector?

fearad

CAG Veteran
I just got my Wii the other day and I absolutely love it. However, one of the biggest selling points for me was the virtual console. I got cable and internet, but problem is they are 2 rooms away from where my Wii is hooked up. I am considering buying an official Nintendo Wireless Connector but would like to know how strong it is before I shell out the extra bucks for it. Does anyone know?

[quote name='fearad']I just got my Wii the other day and I absolutely love it. However, one of the biggest selling points for me was the virtual console. I got cable and internet, but problem is they are 2 rooms away from where my Wii is hooked up. I am considering buying an official Nintendo Wireless Connector but would like to know how strong it is before I shell out the extra bucks for it. Does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get it. I had it for a while and I had a hell of a time getting it to work. A router is a much better option and a better use of your money.

Mine works throughout my apartment, so two rooms SHOULDN'T be an issue - it's not for me. I picked mine up for less than $20 on eBay a while back (a new router was out of the question because of Vonage and I have no other need for wireless access other than the DS and Wii, so Nintendo's adapter has been great).

If you go the wireless route, make sure that it does WEP. If its the same as the DS, you'll need that. I have a wireless router and can't connect my DS to it because my router only uses WPA

Agree with the router fans. D-Link works great, although personally I use a Linksys. A router will be cheaper, and you get the added bonus of then having a wireless network at your house that you can use for the DS, the PSP, a laptop, or whatever else you want.

802.11g is the only way to go, BTW.

[quote name='ZForce915']I wouldn't get it. I had it for a while and I had a hell of a time getting it to work. A router is a much better option and a better use of your money.[/QUOTE]

Yea, mine is EXTREMELY picky, and it won't even detect it when it's plugged into the back of my computer through a USB port. I had to plug it in on a front port, and even then, 10% of the time it won't connect.

I got mine for $25 from a CAG, and believe me, $40 is a rip off for this thing considering it's weak as hell.

What's weird is that it detects the DS almost anywhere, but it's only the Wii that gives it a problem.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Nintendo USB adaptor- $39.99 new.

Linksys WRT54G- $49.99 new.

I get my linksys two rooms no problem. Never tried the USB adaptor.[/quote]

That Linksys is the same I have, and I'm not able to connect with my DS, as the DS is WEP only, and the router only does WPA. If the Wii only does WEP, I'll be forced to either get the LAN adaptor (I prefer to keep my game systems wired) or the USB key whenever I get a Wii. Though I think the key would be better as I could link up with my DS...

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, mine is EXTREMELY picky, and it won't even detect it when it's plugged into the back of my computer through a USB port. I had to plug it in on a front port, and even then, 10% of the time it won't connect.

I got mine for $25 from a CAG, and believe me, $40 is a rip off for this thing considering it's weak as hell.

What's weird is that it detects the DS almost anywhere, but it's only the Wii that gives it a problem.[/QUOTE]

I've had a hell of a time getting my DS to work on one of those Nintendo USB thingies. I'd say it is utterly worthless and I want the hours back of my life I spent trying to get it to work. I finally was able to get it to work for a bit but I haven't travelled since then (I was only going to use it in hotels and the like). I have a Linksys wireless router at home and it works great.

All of the instructions for "issues" you might have with the USB adapter all have you disabling all virus and firewall protection. Even that didn't help me - it was something completely unrelated (creating a "bridge" between my internet and the USB adapter) that got it to work - all of Nintendo's very nice help pages completely failed to mention that. I have a standard XP laptop (actually, 2 of them) and it was the same on both - both at home, in a hotel, and in an office network. So it can't JUST be me ;).

Bigger issue than the distance between access point and console would probably be what's in the middle. Appliances, metal, etc. But that said, go with a router. Much more useful in the long-term.

[quote name='botticus']Bigger issue than the distance between access point and console would probably be what's in the middle. Appliances, metal, etc. But that said, go with a router. Much more useful in the long-term.[/quote]I tried my WRT54G router at my home as a test and my DS picked it up 2 rooms back going through a Water Heater, and a Washer and Dryer, and I only lost one bar.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']How the heck did you guys get a DS to connect with the Linksys WRT54G...seems like a few have said that they did...[/quote]What, I use a WRT54G and it works perfectly. Maybe some configuration error or something.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What, I use a WRT54G and it works perfectly. Maybe some configuration error or something.[/quote]
Supposedly, mine only does WPA encryption. A room mate is a network guy and said that it'll only do WPA and no way to change it. After searching for a bit, I found a few sites that say that you can somehow cripple the router to work in WEP, but you're pretty much opening up a can of worms if you do. Hell, same room mate set it up to not broadcast. Kind of the whole reason I decided to get a wireless was for wireless connectivity with other things...

If I knew (totaly forgotten what it was) the password and username I'd go into the router and see what is up

It's was very easy for me to get the NWC installed and running, took maybe 2-3 minutes total. It worked extremely well, besides needing my laptop to be on when I wanted online access. However, I'd recommend using the money towards a router so that you can use that for pretty much any WiFi device you have or will get in the future.

Strangely enough, I sold mine to Roufuss and things changed drastically for him. :lol:

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Supposedly, mine only does WPA encryption. A room mate is a network guy and said that it'll only do WPA and no way to change it. After searching for a bit, I found a few sites that say that you can somehow cripple the router to work in WEP, but you're pretty much opening up a can of worms if you do. Hell, same room mate set it up to not broadcast. Kind of the whole reason I decided to get a wireless was for wireless connectivity with other things...

If I knew (totaly forgotten what it was) the password and username I'd go into the router and see what is up[/quote]
Uh yeah he is talking out his ass. It does WEP because I am using WEP for my DS and Wii and it works flawlessly, no crippling the router it is made for any wireless securlty. All you have to do is hit the wireless tab in the wireless settings, go to wireless security change it to WEP and then generate a key, boom, takes 10 seconds to set it up. (well 1 minute after you write down the key).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Uh yeah he is talking out his ass. It does WEP because I am using WEP for my DS and Wii and it works flawlessly, no crippling the router it is made for any wireless securlty. All you have to do is hit the wireless tab in the wireless settings, go to wireless security change it to WEP and then generate a key, boom.[/quote]

Cool...now if only I knew the routers address and the admin name and password I'd see what I could do...

I've not used the linksys - but every wireless router I've used has options for turning encryption off, 64bit wep, 128bit wep, and wpa and what isn't there some new wpa2 or something now. Yeah - there should be options in the control panel to set it up with wep. I use 128bit wep encryption in an apt. and have to use that because of the ds and a couple of older wireless bridges that only do wep. I use a few year old buffalo router wbr2-g54 with probalby old firmware - haven't even messed with putting dd-wrt (third party firmware) on it although I should play with that. I set up a belkin 7230 at my mom's house and it's a nice little router too.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Cool...now if only I knew the routers address and the admin name and password I'd see what I could do...[/quote]The address is most likely 192.168.1.1 and there is a reset button on the back of the router, I think the default password is admin, no user name.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Cool...now if only I knew the routers address and the admin name and password I'd see what I could do...[/QUOTE]

as per the pdf manual - could try these settings and see if the login is still at default:

To access the web-based utility, launch Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, and enter the Router’s default IP
address, 192.168.1.1, in the Address field. Then press Enter.
A password request page, shown in Figure 6-1 will appear. (non-Windows XP users will see a similar screen.)
Leave the User Name field blank. The first time you open the Web-Based Utility, use the default password admin.
(You can set a new password from the Administration tab’s Management screen.) Then click the OK button

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']The address is most likely 192.168.1.1 and there is a reset button on the back of the router, I think the default password is admin, no user name.[/quote]

Yeah, I found that IP affter some googling, but when I type it in, it says that there is a problem loading that page. And if I hit the reset button, wouldn't I have to configre everything all over again so now net connection until it got set up?

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Yeah, I found that IP affter some googling, but when I type it in, it says that there is a problem loading that page. And if I hit the reset button, wouldn't I have to configre everything all over again so now net connection until it got set up?[/quote]Yes, but well if you don't remember your password well you have to choose, DS or keeping all your settings.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yes, but well if you don't remember your password well...[/quote]

That is true, but I don't know why it keeps saying that it can't display the page and no box pops up for admin and password. It does it both of Firefox and IE

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']That is true, but I don't know why it keeps saying that it can't display the page and no box pops up for admin and password. It does it both of Firefox and IE[/quote]that I don't know but are you entering it as
http : // 192.168.1.1 (take out the spaces)
Just like that? Otherwise I don't know my only guess would be to unplug your internet (ethernet cable)from the router or connection for a few mins and try it again maybe something could be going haywire there. Oh and the Wireless is very nice, I been using it for my Wii, DS and Laptop and it works great.

[quote name='evanft']So, what is this "D-Link" that you speak of?[/quote]

If you're talking the I believe, DI-604...fuck that piece of shit. I had one for about 3 years, and it would drop connections for no reason all the time. I decided to finally upgrade and get the WRT54G in mid Nov...no more dropped connections. Of course I've yet to use wireless, and just using hard wired for right now

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']that I don't know but are you entering it as
http : // 192.168.1.1 (take out the spaces)
Just like that?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm entering it without the spaces...

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Yeah, I'm entering it without the spaces...[/quote]Ok open your command prompt and enter ipconfig, use the ip there. If that doesn't help, then I don't know whats up. I got to get going anyway I should be back in two hours to help if it isn't working.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok open your command prompt and enter ipconfig, use the ip there. If that doesn't help, then I don't know whats up. I got to get going anyway I should be back in two hours to help if it isn't working.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll try that. If you want, add me to your buddy list, MrNiceGuy99A here.

Well, I found the correct IP adress, now I just need to figure out the username and password. Seeing as the room mate entered it all in and I didn't I forgot what it was that he told me that he used...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's was very easy for me to get the NWC installed and running, took maybe 2-3 minutes total. It worked extremely well, besides needing my laptop to be on when I wanted online access. However, I'd recommend using the money towards a router so that you can use that for pretty much any WiFi device you have or will get in the future.

Strangely enough, I sold mine to Roufuss and things changed drastically for him. :lol:[/QUOTE]

See, mine would connect to my DS no problem after the 2-3 minutes of install. Then I'd get "no IP connection" errors or something when actually testing the connection from the DS to Nintendo WiFi. I had to "bridge" the USB adapter to my internet connection manually in the network settings and then this, for some reason, disables Nintendo's software so you have to reinstall it. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU CONNECT IT. Since this would be done every time I set up in a hotel or whatever I decided it was a pain in the ass.

All of this info was not provided in any of Nintendo's help pages. I eventually found it on some third party message board.

Anyway, I use a Linksys WRT54G at home with both my DS and Wii and it works great. The wireless capabilities of the Wii seem much better than those of the DS (not surprising I suppose). My Wii is 2-3 rooms away and usually gets 2 (out of 3) bars. When I sit in the same location with the DS it often can't connect. I did fuss with the channel selection on the Linksys when hooking up the Wii because it was very hit-or-miss with connecting at first. I did the channel 1 or 11 trick, though, and that helped with both the Wii and the DS. Now the Wii connects nearly all the time and the DS much more often (in that room).

Just called that room mate at work to see if he remembered the name and password. He told me that he tried it in WEP for his laptop a while back and it would connect, but the signal was horribly shitty and not worth using. And he could only connect things thru WPA with no problems...or some to that effect

Guess I'll have to shell out for the USB key...

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Just called that room mate at work to see if he remembered the name and password. He told me that he tried it in WEP for his laptop a while back and it would connect, but the signal was horribly shitty and not worth using. And he could only connect things thru WPA with no problems...or some to that effect

Guess I'll have to shell out for the USB key...[/QUOTE]

Don't give up on your router so fast. You should try restarting in the back. Losing your settings? Not really an issue. All you really have to do is set a new password once you restart. It will be worth it to "take back" your router. Right now it owns you.

[quote name='ZForce915']Don't give up on your router so fast. You should try restarting in the back. Losing your settings? Not really an issue. All you really have to do is set a new password once you restart. It will be worth it to "take back" your router. Right now it owns you.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Yeah, HumanSnatcher, and don't forget what I mentioned above - the channel 1 or 11 trick can be used to get a better signal from the router (and I use WEP). The router defaults to 6, I think, and if you live in an area with other people using the same or similar routers there could be a lot of signals in that same range - so switching to one end or the other helps. Of course, you change the channel via the web page ;).

The NWFC USB Adaptor has a tendancy to work perfectly fine for some people, and not at all for others.

I bought the adaptor, and it has worked perfectly since I got it. Easy installation, easier to set up thanks to the DS and Wii being designed specifically to connect to it.

If you really want the USB adaptor, I say try it out. If it doesn't work, take it back and grab yourself a router.

Either is fine really, but a router is probably the better buy considering that it works with any device.

And certainly two rooms won't be an issue.

[quote name='hack']The NWFC USB Adaptor has a tendancy to work perfectly fine for some people, and not at all for others.

I bought the adaptor, and it has worked perfectly since I got it. Easy installation, easier to set up thanks to the DS and Wii being designed specifically to connect to it.

If you really want the USB adaptor, I say try it out. If it doesn't work, take it back and grab yourself a router.

Either is fine really, but a router is probably the better buy considering that it works with any device.

And certainly two rooms won't be an issue.[/QUOTE]

Well, I just don't get what the problem is with the USB adapter. I have a standard issue XP laptop (like I said, 2 actually - and both are different kinds - one older, one newer) and they just don't work with them. I can say that it isn't worth the hassle to even try the USB adapter as it might give you all this trouble. And even if it does work you need to have your computer on for it to work. I'd much rather have a 100x easier to set up and much more useful wireless router.

as far as I know - you won't see any difference in signal/connection strength whether your using wep, wpa, or no encryption at all.

[quote name='io']Well, I just don't get what the problem is with the USB adapter. I have a standard issue XP laptop (like I said, 2 actually - and both are different kinds - one older, one newer) and they just don't work with them. I can say that it isn't worth the hassle to even try the USB adapter as it might give you all this trouble. And even if it does work you need to have your computer on for it to work. I'd much rather have a 100x easier to set up and much more useful wireless router.[/quote]

Well I'm not too sure about the 100x easier to set up part. For you and I, it may be, but for many people, both the USB Adapter and Router are a complete mystery, especially those that Nintendo is trying to target with the Wii. In which case, I'd say that the USB Adapter is far easier to setup/use (that is only if it works properly in the first case, like its supposed to).

Still I wish Buffalo would fix the darn thing so that its more compatible, then no one would have to ask questions or ponder what ifs.

That could be another factor, the fact that it isn't a Nintendo-made product. Hehe.

Well, that's what I mean - now, if they could come up with a list of reasons why it won't work with certain computers then I would accept that. But if it is going to be so touchy with so many setups then that is a big problem. They need to AT LEAST figure out why it doesn't work in some setups and have a comprehensive document for that. Like I said, all of their troubleshooting tips are to disable all the virus and firewall protections, which is not a valid solution even if it worked (which it didn't for me). I didn't have to do any of that crap for my router to work.

[quote name='the ender']Disable your encryption and any router will work fine.[/quote]And the neighbors will also thank you :lol:. WPA is safer than WEP so there is no surprise some people wont use it. If you need the DS connectivity get the adaptor because the Wii has WPA built in but the DS doesn't.

My linksys router works fine with my wii. However, it will only pick up the DS half the time and when it does it's really slow (talking 7-8 mins to find one partner on Castlevania).

Usually nothing huge running on the network either, I don't get it >

bread's done
Back