How the Classic Controller Ought to Work

supershammy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Whenever I game with my Classic Controller, my Wii remote swings and dangles! It bumps into things and I injure myself frequently! THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13438
thumb_medium_395055108_b5f99bcee1_o.jpg

thumb_medium_395055110_7812673a40_o.jpg

thumb_medium_395055111_6b631218f6_o.jpg

This dude made his own functionality out of the mysterious clip on the back of the CC. Personally, I think this is rad, but others have said they thought it looks too heavy. A bunch of pussies, I say.

Design doesn't bother me. I just sit the wiimote on the couch beside me and I'm good to go.

Cord out of the bottom is slightly annoying, but I played the hell out of the Dreamcast so I was already used to it.

Tagging.

Cord out the bottom doesnt bother me, if they had used the clips on the back it would have been necessary. Plus if the cord was on the top the Wiimote would be pulling the top of the controller down rather than the bottom.

is this really what the clip on the CC is really going to be for? Or has something else been said about it?

I just picked up a CC today and have to say the cable out the bottom didn't bother me at all during my 2 hrs of playing Mario 64

At first I thought it was kinda dumb to have the wiimote just sit there on your lap or on the couch, but then you realize it lets the classic controller be small and light and that you don't move around with the CC like you do with the wiimote. (Yeah I had forgot the 'old way' of gaming for a second.) And then it doesn't bug. SEems weird at first, but works perfect.

It was supposed to hold the wiimote, but Nintendo dropped the idea for some reason. It could have been used to add more functionality to a game by combining the targeting of the wiimote and the buttons of the CC. It doesn't matter since you'll probably see these clips on ebay soon, though you won't see a game that makes use of it.

I also saw a video where Nintendo had a lightgun handle add-on for the wiimote. What happened to that?

i think the extra weight of the remote would be more bothersome than having it sit next to me on the couch or floor. it doesnt bother me at all that the cord comes out of the bottom or that the remote sits next to me.

[quote name='Scrubking']It was supposed to hold the wiimote, but Nintendo dropped the idea for some reason. It could have been used to add more functionality to a game by combining the targeting of the wiimote and the buttons of the CC. [/QUOTE]

I think that sounds like a great idea. Maybe they will still do this at some point.

[quote name='Scrubking']It was supposed to hold the wiimote, but Nintendo dropped the idea for some reason. It could have been used to add more functionality to a game by combining the targeting of the wiimote and the buttons of the CC. It doesn't matter since you'll probably see these clips on ebay soon, though you won't see a game that makes use of it.

I also saw a video where Nintendo had a lightgun handle add-on for the wiimote. What happened to that?[/QUOTE]
Its sitting inside Nintendo headquarters right next to the gamecube memory card adapter for SD memory cards.

Edit-Oh yeah, and they're both right next to that Wavebird shell in the link in the post above mine. ;)

[quote name='CouRageouS']I think they're waiting for IGN to forget about this
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

Then they'll make something with the same idea. They shoulda went with the shell idea in the first place, much as I enjoy the CC, adding wires to a wireless controller is not cool. I'd only accept a Gamecube adapter port, so my bongos connect to the Wiimote and not the Wii.[/quote]
I'm not sure that that's a feasible idea, as the Wii Remote is basically dead when you're playing GC games. Unless Nintendo changes how the Wii works with GC games, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not sure that that's a feasible idea, as the Wii Remote is basically dead when you're playing GC games. Unless Nintendo changes how the Wii works with GC games, I don't see that happening anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

No, no. You're misunderstanding the purpose. That would be an all-new, Wavebird-inspired Wii controller. It wouldn't be used for GCN games but rather for Wii games. I agree that it would be a good way to still have the pointing while using the Classic Controller.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its sitting inside Nintendo headquarters right next to the gamecube memory card adapter for SD memory cards.[/quote]That came out, just only hit Japan.

I've never understood anyone's gripes about the CC, save for the analog placement not being ideal for some N64 stuff (e.g., Mario 64). It's a huge problem to have the remote sitting beside you in a chair or on the couch? Really? The cord coming out of the bottom, while non-traditional, is less intrusive than it would be coming out of the top, since it's going to something beside you and below it rather than across the room to the system.

And a single wire is that annoying? Really? Members of CAG would really rather spend $40 on a controller that is fully wireless than $20 on one that wires to something next to you, not even causing cords dangling across the room?

Whenever this topic comes up, I'm always so confused.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']No, no. You're misunderstanding the purpose. That would be an all-new, Wavebird-inspired Wii controller. It wouldn't be used for GCN games but rather for Wii games. I agree that it would be a good way to still have the pointing while using the Classic Controller.[/quote]
What does that have to do with using the bongos wirelessly (for GC games I'm guessing) by plugging them into the Wii Remote?

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']No, no. You're misunderstanding the purpose. That would be an all-new, Wavebird-inspired Wii controller. It wouldn't be used for GCN games but rather for Wii games. I agree that it would be a good way to still have the pointing while using the Classic Controller.[/quote]Although how cool that sounds, I would never buy that just because of the fucking d-pad yet alone play a game that forces me to use that small ass d-pad. The reason I bought a CC was so I can play games on a real d-pad not the small ass one.

I'm glad this thread finally popped up! I was wondering if you any of you would find it interesting.

Actually, believe it or not, I'm the guy who made it! It's been featured at kotaku, joystiq, digg, and engadget ... which is pretty surprising for a simple piece of plastic.

I'd always wondered what was with the slots in the back of the classic controller. I came up with an idea over the weekend and decided to make it. I designed it so that not only would it get the wiimote out of the way, but it would also keep the motion & pointing functions of the wiimote intact (in case future games came out that would make use of those functions and still keep dual-analog control).

I came up with the design, drafted a 3D model in CAD, and made it on a stereolithography machine. In all, it took me about an hour or so to design, and it took the machine about 2 hrs for it to build.

At first, it was supposed to be my "guess" at what Nintendo is going to come up with. But all this interest has got me wondering about filing for some sort of patent.

It's been a fun day watching it spread; but I'm glad it finally ended up here on CAG. I'm curious as to what you guys think.

[quote name='Gator']I'm glad this thread finally popped up! I was wondering if you any of you would find it interesting.

Actually, believe it or not, I'm the guy who made it! It's been featured at kotaku, joystiq, digg, and engadget ... which is pretty surprising for a simple piece of plastic.

I'd always wondered what was with the slots in the back of the classic controller. I came up with an idea over the weekend and decided to make it. I designed it so that not only would it get the wiimote out of the way, but it would also keep the motion & pointing functions of the wiimote intact (in case future games came out that would make use of those functions and still keep dual-analog control).

I came up with the design, drafted a 3D model in CAD, and made it on a stereolithography machine. In all, it took me about an hour or so to design, and it took the machine about 2 hrs for it to build.

At first, it was supposed to be my "guess" at what Nintendo is going to come up with. But all this interest has got me wondering about filing for some sort of patent.

It's been a fun day watching it spread; but I'm glad it finally ended up here on CAG. I'm curious as to what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

I would love that just to get the damn cord out of my way. Reminds me to much of the Dreamcast controller...

[quote name='Gator']I'm glad this thread finally popped up! I was wondering if you any of you would find it interesting.

It's been a fun day watching it spread; but I'm glad it finally ended up here on CAG. I'm curious as to what you guys think.[/quote]

I think i speak for a few when i say, "Pics or its not true"

btw, make the new pic have ur name hand written somewhere so we know it really was you.

I'm sorry i'm being skeptical, i've just been online for too many years to just believe someone off of a forum.

Patent Pending !!!

But really, I would use it. I bet it makes the classic more heavy, and I don't mind having the remote next to me. Also since I'm an old school DC fanboy the cord out the bottom also doesn't bother me.

Hey man! I think your project is awesome, and I'm stoked to see that you have access to the materials required to make one (and not one made from a cereal box and lots of electrical tape or some other janky nonsense). Does it really snap in to place? Is the plastic brittle or flexible? I am sending you a PM...

This isn't exactly on topic but I guess now is a good time to ask if the CC has rumble on it?

[quote name='zatos']This isn't exactly on topic but I guess now is a good time to ask if the CC has rumble on it?[/QUOTE]

No rumble. It's not called "classic" for nothing.

If Nintendo was planning on making this they filed a patent years ago. Companies don't make anything without patenting multiple versions of what they might come up with.

[quote name='Mysticheat']Classic controller ought to work for playing gamecube games.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice, but the Wii boots down into Gamecube mode shutting off the bluetooth receptors used by the Wiimote.

Someone could hack up a Waverbird transmitter to plug into the CC, but its probably more work than its worth.

[quote name='Pestilence']I think i speak for a few when i say, "Pics or its not true"

btw, make the new pic have ur name hand written somewhere so we know it really was you.

I'm sorry i'm being skeptical, i've just been online for too many years to just believe someone off of a forum.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really here to brag or boast or anything. I really just wanted some honest opinions on the thing. The comments on Kotaku and Joystiq all boiled down to PS3 vs. Wii debates, or they completely missed the point. I was hoping for some opinions from the CAG community.

But if it takes a pic, then so be it.

picture13py2.jpg

This is the best I can do while at work (webcam). As you can see, I'm holding the clip. I'm even wearing my Florida (Gator) Soccer tshirt today. Hope that's good enough.

I'm just wondering how heavy that thing would be with the Wiimote strapped to the back of it. The Wiimote is a pretty hefty device and while the CC is nice and light, I can't see this solution working very well with the added weight on the back.

If that is not the case, I would be in for an order assuming it is a reasonable price.

[quote name='Gator']I'm not really here to brag or boast or anything. I really just wanted some honest opinions on the thing. The comments on Kotaku and Joystiq all boiled down to PS3 vs. Wii debates, or they completely missed the point. I was hoping for some opinions from the CAG community.

picture13py2.jpg

This is the best I can do while at work (webcam). As you can see, I'm holding the clip. I'm even wearing my Florida (Gator) Soccer tshirt today. Hope that's good enough.[/QUOTE]

The clip is cool and I give you many props for making it, but it doesn't serve much purpose as just a place holder for the wiimote. Sure you can probably sell a bunch of them, but I'm fine just letting my wiimote hang by the side.

[quote name='Scrubking']The clip is cool and I give you many props for making it, but it doesn't serve much purpose as just a place holder for the wiimote. Sure you can probably sell a bunch of them, but I'm fine just letting my wiimote hang by the side.[/QUOTE] Yeah, a lot of comments seem to be directed towards "I'm fine having it sit next to me," but that's not really the point of this. I was basically trying to give my best guess as to what in the hell the CC's 3rd button (and the associated slots) was for. This clip isn't just to get the controller out of the way... I think it'd be of use for upcoming VC or Wii games that will combine dual analog + multiple face/shoulder buttons + motion sensing + rumble + screen pointing. That's the "big" idea.

A lot of other comments I've read question the comfort of the attachment. I will say that the two controllers together are a little heavier than a wavebird, but not heavier than an xbox controller or dreamcast controller. Other people have worried that the wiimote on the bottom prevents their fingers from curling underneath the CC, and that's not the case at all. I haven't actually put it to a rigorous/lengthy gameplay test yet, but it's been comfortable so far.

As for selling them, I'm not sure what to do about that. I can't make them using the same machine/technology (it's the school's machine, and it costs a lot of money to use). I'd need to find the capital to pay someone to make the clip via a more standard and cost effective manufacturing process.

I've always maintained that the classic controller ought to have a frozen drink dispenser attached. I don't know about you all, but margaritas to go along with the Wii's tortilla chip fryer would suit me just fine.

[quote name='Gator']I'm not really here to brag or boast or anything. I really just wanted some honest opinions on the thing. The comments on Kotaku and Joystiq all boiled down to PS3 vs. Wii debates, or they completely missed the point. I was hoping for some opinions from the CAG community.

picture13py2.jpg

This is the best I can do while at work (webcam). As you can see, I'm holding the clip. I'm even wearing my Florida (Gator) Soccer tshirt today. Hope that's good enough.[/QUOTE]

How much did it cost to make and will you make another?

It's been a fun day watching it spread; but I'm glad it finally ended up here on CAG. I'm curious as to what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

I think its cool and I would consider buying one. I also wish you luck if you try to go the patent route; however, Nintendo alreay has the grooves on the side of the Wiimote, so I have to assume they covered themselves patent wise if one were needed.

Heck, if you were so inclined you could call up Pelican or Mad Catz and ask to speak to a product representative and offer to sell them your CAD design. They of course could make their own, but you've already done the work.

I have access to a firm that deals in plastics and could probably make a mold, but I doubt the market is large enough to warrant starting up a small business to sell one item. But if you want to chat about it I would be happy to either call the firm up on your behalf, or something.

[quote name='chodax']My hand are to big for the VC controller :([/QUOTE]

So you're the guy Microsoft used for testing the original Xbox controller?

bread's done
Back