How to ask a huge favor?

bigtymer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
OK here is the thing. I am a graduate student and am going to finish all my degree requirements this semester and I have to defend my thesis in front of a committee of faculty. I have a committee which includes my adviser but I need a chairman on the committee separate from my adviser and no one told me this until today and I need to present by the end of the semester. So the question is how do I ask the huge favor of a faculty member to chair my committee?
In theory they were supposed to be a secondary adviser throughout the process of writing my thesis and would vouch for me during the defense (my adviser isn't allowed to talk/ask questions during my defense for fear of too much bias), but how can someone vouch for me if I ask them 2 weeks before the defense??
I have no idea if anyone has ever been in this sort of a position before but if you have any advice let me know!!

Find a faculty member that knows you, maybe a professor in prior class you took or a professor that may have an interest in the subject of your thesis. You just have to bite the bullet and ask ASAP. The longer you drag it out, the more awkward it will be.

Chances are in a Master's Program (if yours is similar to mine) you will have multiple classes with some of the same professors. Find the one that you got along with the best, that had you in class the most, that you think would do a good job, and ask them.....today!

It's not that hard you know, just figure out who likes you the most, find them when they are in a good mood, and ask them nicely.

I blame the internet for the lack of social skills of kids today. Oh and get off my lawn!

For the most part your profs want you to succeed in the field (if they are anything like mine... go ANE studies), so they probably won't mind to help you out.

Either way though, you HAVE to ask. So just buck up, be prepared for the worst possible outcome (dream one up) and when the outcome is better than what you prepared for BE HAPPY!!!

Yeah, just ask one you're comfortable with. It's usually not a problem, especially for master's thesis committees.

Even with dissertations I've seen other students at my school swap out committee members a month or so before defending with no problem--and this is at the top ranked doctoral program in my field.

As long as you ask far enough in advance that they have plenty of time to read your thesis before the defense, you shouldn't have any problems.

[quote name='bmachine']I'll be your adviser. ;)[/quote]

OMG, LMAO. I just imagined that in the old man's voice from Family guy.

Want a lollipop?

bread's done
Back