How to change a Snes game-save battery!

Yup, I do it my old nes and snes carts as they go out. Its not hard but you do have to be able to de-solder decently and be willing to punch a hole in the grounding and solder to it. Super easy and only takes a bit of time. Drop me a line if you need some pictures or help. Later.

[quote name='compudude86']ok, so im an IT manager, and one of my assignments is to replace about 20-30 of these f-in little batteries in desktop computers every few years. apparently computers piss through them quicker. my idea here, is that the comp motherboards have a small black socket on them, that hold a cr2032 battery in place. im wondering if its possible to replace the cart battery with one of these sockets, then pop a new cr2032 battery in it, and then when it dies in another 15-20 years, its not a painstaking ordeal to switch it out. i say this because i put together collections of NES, SNES, and N64 systems and games, and for the nes and snes this would be a lifesaver not to have to jherry rig this up every time. anyone have experience with this technique?[/QUOTE]

I just posted a video and guide showing how I replaced the battery. I think it is easier than the original steps because you don't have to pry out the old battery or risk damaging the game at all. You only use the soldering iron twice and never get close to the other components.

http://www.jjgames.com/page/replace-snes-battery

I had to do it with my Earthbound game. The secret is buying the CR-2032 1F2 battery. It works in NES, SNES, and Gameboy Color games with almost no modification.

Damn does this mean most SNES games are useless because you wont be able to save games?

What about other games on Genesis, N64, NES, and Gameboy...would i run into this problem with these too?

[quote name='62t']they can flash base and not a battery. PSOne memory card will only die after a certain number of use, and that should be a very high number. Also you can easily back them up.[/QUOTE]

One question about that. Once they run out of write cycles, does the card's data just fuse? Still usable, but you cannot write to it ever again? That it he impression I have of flash memory, one day you just can't write to it any more. But the data still is available.

Which would be awesome, cuz you could then just copy the data of the fused card to another card with write cycles left.

(BTW, wonderful thread in general, thanks OP)

Im guessing this only effects games that you need to save in. Games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Sonic the hedgehog, and others where you dont need to save and can beat the game in one sitting would be fine right?

I was just looking into buying a Genesis, N64, and games for my SNES. But i dont want to waste my money if they will be useless. So is there a list of games that save and dont need to save somewhere?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Damn does this mean most SNES games are useless because you wont be able to save games?

What about other games on Genesis, N64, NES, and Gameboy...would i run into this problem with these too?[/QUOTE]

MOST of the nes games you type out a long ass password like kid icarus or faxanadu. Some of them like zelda, final fantasy and dragon warriors have the battery.

i havent had to replace any of these but of course its been years since i fired up ff3.

some games like zelda 1 i remember beating in one sitting, so i dont mind doing that again. Maybe its just worth it to keep a gamecube and find the zealda collectors edition?

i dont want to mess with this, i guess i could pay someone who was better equiped than me to do this, i wont risk it because I know i might do it good for the first few times, then when i want to switch up the ff3 i will just fuck it up.

so i took apart my snes to clean it and man was it nasty but i got cleaned and am trying to put it back together but am having a small setback, i just need to know if anyone here has done this and if so could tell me how the spring for the eject button goes? a picture would be great or a site with pics please let me know thanks

[quote name='Aleryn']One question about that. Once they run out of write cycles, does the card's data just fuse? Still usable, but you cannot write to it ever again? That it he impression I have of flash memory, one day you just can't write to it any more. But the data still is available.

Which would be awesome, cuz you could then just copy the data of the fused card to another card with write cycles left.

(BTW, wonderful thread in general, thanks OP)[/QUOTE]

OK late reply but once it die, the data is lost.

Agreed, they now sell the batteries with tabs on eBay for pretty cheap.  The tabs are nice, but you will need to solder them in place instead of taping the battery to the board.

I say keep up tradition. Im voting for a horror game, would be interesting to see what we come up with.

Maybe I have no mouth and I must scream?

bread's done
Back