How to check if I'm getting stolen PS Vita?

ColFantastic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I'm in talks to buy a used PS Vita with a couple games off Craigslist for $200, which is a steal. He says he commutes into my town to work daily and wants to meet at a Starbucks and make the exchange. Is there anyway to check if the Vita he's trying to sell me is stolen? I don't want to try to log into PSN and find out it's jacked and I have to return it to the poor sap and I'm out my money. Any ideas?

I don't know, but it really isn't such a low price that it makes me think its hot. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't and I certainly don't want to discourage you to not get a Vita (since they are awesome). I am just saying that $200 used for the system and a few games is pretty standard on CL from what I can tell.

You can usually get one of the bundles used from Amazon Warehouse Deals for sub $200. At least if you buy from them, you have protection.

[quote name='ColFantastic']I'm in talks to buy a used PS Vita with a couple games off Craigslist for $200, which is a steal. He says he commutes into my town to work daily and wants to meet at a Starbucks and make the exchange. Is there anyway to check if the Vita he's trying to sell me is stolen? I don't want to try to log into PSN and find out it's jacked and I have to return it to the poor sap and I'm out my money. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

love to get 200 out of my vita i would dump it in a second at that price even with a few games ...maybe its like mine and just never used

Your own fault for not using it slide..great f'n system. Best piece of hardware I own, and there are plenty of worthwhile games.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Your own fault for not using it slide..great f'n system. Best piece of hardware I own, and there are plenty of worthwhile games.[/QUOTE]

only if you like fighting or sports...nothing on the rpg side (besides persona 4)

have not used mine in months

So I got a hold of a Playstation representative and they told me that there is no way for me to check and no way for Playstation to track a stolen Vita. Only thing I could do is contact the police department and see if they have any serial numbers that match, which I really don't want to do.

The reason I was wary was because it came with 3 games (Uncharted, Wipeout, and Marvel vs Capcom), a case and a 32 gb memory card. A little bit much for such a deal. Guy said he is just really desperate for money at the moment.

This would be my first Playstation product since ths PS One. I might take a gander at Amazon Warehouse quick and see what I can find and if I can find a similar deal.

so why exactly are you so worried if its stolen or not? Would the weight of not knowing bear down on you every time you use it and make it impossible to enjoy it? If I find a great deal on craigslist I try to close the deal before anyone else beats me to it not try to figure out if the person selling it is the original and legal owner lol

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']so why exactly are you so worried if its stolen or not? Would the weight of not knowing bear down on you every time you use it and make it impossible to enjoy it? If I find a great deal on craigslist I try to close the deal before anyone else beats me to it not try to figure out if the person selling it is the original and legal owner lol[/QUOTE]

If the legal owner is able to track down and prove the property is theirs, you have to give it back with no compensation meaning you lose the money spent on it and have nothing to show for it. A recorded serial number is one such way of proving that ownership.

[quote name='ColFantastic']So I got a hold of a Playstation representative and they told me that there is no way for me to check and no way for Playstation to track a stolen Vita. Only thing I could do is contact the police department and see if they have any serial numbers that match, which I really don't want to do.

The reason I was wary was because it came with 3 games (Uncharted, Wipeout, and Marvel vs Capcom), a case and a 32 gb memory card. A little bit much for such a deal. Guy said he is just really desperate for money at the moment.

This would be my first Playstation product since ths PS One. I might take a gander at Amazon Warehouse quick and see what I can find and if I can find a similar deal.[/QUOTE]

can get that one system with the COD game in it for like 187 a lot with memory card (4 gb i think)

i would say go with it cause that sounds like a normal price for that sort of a package.. since uncharted and wipeout fell big time in vaule since they are free on psn

To answer an earlier question, yes I would feel bad if I knew/suspected it was stolen property. And there was always the fear it would be returned to the original owner and I would be out all my cash.

So I went through with the meeting and my fears were completely wiped away. The guy had the original box and his receipt with him, which made me feel so much better. Since this is my first Playstation product since PS1 he walked me through it. I got the three games, a 32 gb memory card, carrying case, charging stand, ac adapter, and handheld case. Not a bad little haul.

[quote name='slidecage']only if you like fighting or sports...nothing on the rpg side (besides persona 4)

have not used mine in months[/QUOTE]

Then sell your Vita and quit complaining to everyone about it. You spend an awful lot of time complaining about a system you don't even play.

P.S. I am not into fighting or sports games and I love the Vita. I enjoy RPGs over any other game type. I own almost 30 Vita retail games and only Hot Shots Golf, Virtua Tennis, and Fifa 13 are sports games. I don't own any fighting games as I have never cared for them.

O.P. Glad everything worked out for you. The Vita is an awesome system with a great catalog of games already. Enjoy your new toy :)

[quote name='slidecage']only if you like fighting or sports...nothing on the rpg side (besides persona 4)

have not used mine in months[/QUOTE]

Dragon Fantasy Book I is out today. Soul Sacrifice also has a demo out today of the whole 1st level and is transferable to the full game.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back