How to determine the genre of a game?

jjhearn

CAGiversary!
Sorry for such a vague question, and it does pertain to all systems. But, is there a way to determine the genre of a game by looking on the box? I know I can look for a particular game online, but i am referring to being out and coming across a game that I havent noticed before.

Is there anything on the boxart, front or back?

thanks
JJ

No, there really isn't, like, an industry-wide standard sort of iconography or tagging that is used or anything.

Screenshots and the description on the box are all you have to go by. Has there ever been a case where that hasn't been enough? I've never had that problem.

Well, take FEAR/FEAR 2, I didn't know they were Shooters. I am just not fond of Shooter games. I am trying, to learn it, it's just hard to get into since I am not that big a fan. I don't play COD, or any other games like that. And, more than likely, i wouldn't have bought them had I known they were shooters.

I don't get to play often due to my work schedule. And with the aiming, unless I get it down, it is pretty hard for me to control. I would just rather push the button and it shoots who I want it to. HAHA

thanks
JJ

bread's done
Back