How to get your PS2 online with your college connection!

3QGojo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Original Post:

I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this, but I'm having trouble getting my PS2 online. I've read on multiple website on how to find out what your MAC address is, but it doesn't even work, not for me anyways. Also, even if I did find out what my MAC address is, there's no place to imput it in the start up disc...just a place for an IP address...I have the 4.0 start up disc and I don't know if that's a big problem, or if I should've gotten the 3.0 disc. It looks like it's about to connect and my University rejects it.

Any help?

UPDATE:

The guys at EB told me that I didn't need the Start up disc for the network adapter and that the version (2.0, 3.0, 4.0) didn't matter. They were wrong on both accounts since I now have my MAC address and am ONLINE!

Anyone want to know how I did it? I will now post the links to the websites that I found that helped me to get online:

How to get MAC address for PS2:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Troubleshooting/networkadaptor/faq.html

How to get online with college connection:

http://manufacturedfreedom.com/technical/2005/04/networking-ps2-or-xbox-online-at_11.html

Once I had the MAC address, I basically just changed my PC's MAC address to the one I got off of my PS2. Now, instead of my PS2 trying to connect and my college connection saying "Hey, who the fuck are you? You have to register!" and then taking it to the register page to get online (which the PS2 can't boot up because it doesn't have a browser); my college connection now thinks that my PS2 is my PC (because they both have the same MAC address).

Anyways, enough of my rambling, I think this thread should be turned into a "how to connect your PS2 online at college thread".

universities usually don't allow unauthorized connections or non-pc connections in housing facilities.

We can't use Xbox Live at my school. Cable is pretty cheap, $35 per month split between 3 roomates for real fast internet and Xbox Live/PS2 online with no hassles.(and if you're unscrupulous, you can get cable TV outta the deal too) Look into it.

There are ways around it. I remember getting my PS2 online when I lived on campus, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. I think I just took all the settings from my PC and input them manually.

My school required that I send them the MAC address of my xbox before I could play it. They had to register it or something. My school also only allows one thing accessing the internet at a time. This means I have to unplug my laptop every time I want to play. I also have to unplug and replug my hub, since it doesn't reset the stuff automatically.

[quote name='3QGojo']I think I found a way, I just need to know what my MAC address is...[/quote]
I thought it appears somewhere in the menu when you boot it up without a disc in it ?!

[quote name='eau']I thought it appears somewhere in the menu when you boot it up without a disc in it ?![/QUOTE]

Yeah, with the new Slim PS2's just hit triangle (If i remember right) and it shows it in system information.

Oh ho! Negative my friends! I have an old stlye PS2 Model 30001, and it does NOT display the MAC address...also I found this on Sony's website:

Version 4.0: With the version 4.0 Online Start-Up Disc, you must have a Broadband network configuration already created on the Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2) before you can view the MAC Address

Since my college connection is blocking my PS2 I cannot create my network configuration. However, I found a way to override this by "spoofing" my MAC address with my computer...but my PS2 won't tell me my MAC address and the 4.0 disc that I got at EB won't show me the address even when the connection fails because I need to have my configuration setup...so the only solution is go back and get the 3.0 disc from EB, which by the way I asked if there was a difference between 3.0 and 4.0 and they said no....LIES, HUGE DIFFERENCE!

I will explain it all once I get the chance to switch discs and get my PS2 Online, it'll be quite the story I am sure! :)

More to come...

bread's done
Back