How to help Haiti if you're a gamer!

nCogNeato

CAGiversary!
Feedback
120 (100%)
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/how-to-help-haiti-if-you-re-a-gamer-160678.phtml

• Bungie is selling "Be A Hero" t-shirts (above) with all the proceeds going to aiding Haiti. Also if you play Halo at some point next Wednesday or Thursday they will be donating up $77,000 dollars to Haitian relief efforts. Full details.
  • PopCap will be donating every penny it earns today (Jan. 16) to help recovery efforts in Haiti. If you buy a PopCap game then you'll most likely save a life. Full details.
  • Gamer Levi Buchanan is auctioning off 180 videogames for varying systems and a GameCube and PSP. All the money from the winning bid will go to the American Red Cross. Full details.
  • Gaia Online will be matching the donations of its members up to $10,000. Full details
  • Zynga Games held an auction this past Thursday, but you can still donate to the World Food Program through them. Full details.
  • Gamingangels is having an auction today and tomorrow. Highest bidder will be getting a giant bag of goodies (more goodies the higher the bid) with proceeds going to the charity of the winner's choice. Full details.
  • Gamers Gaming for Good is holding a marathon to raise money until the end of today, or possibly longer. Full details.
  • Donate $10 directly to the American Red Cross Haiti relief efforts by texting HAITI to 90999. The $10 will be added to your phone bill.

I don't know why but I thought about the game Quake whenever I saw the back of Bungie's shirt.

Anyways, there's a multitude of ways to help, I don't think you should really have to give incentives to get help, and there will probably be quite a few people that play Halo 3 next week that don't even know that Bungie's going to be donating money to the Haitian relief fund.

Nothing wrong with incentives, probably gets some donations that wouldn't have been made otherwise.

I already donated directly to the Red Cross last week myself.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I don't care.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. The t shirt should say: Become An Hero. I would rather take take of the people in my own country first than someone else's. My people first, then maybe your people.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Agreed. The t shirt should say: Become An Hero. I would rather take take of the people in my own country first than someone else's. My people first, then maybe your people.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We have so many problems here, with the economy and deficit, and people are sending money to Haiti. Obama is sending $100,000,000 of our tax money to them. Money he doesn't even have. He's gonna borrow that $100 mil from the Chinese.

Doesn't matter how much aid Americans send. The world will still hate us. If they get aid they will just think that they were entitled to it. Then they'll waste this money or build more houses on the fault line and history will soon repeat itself.

If any of you self-righteous fools fall on hard time (lose you job/house) then you'll see how much aid you are going to get from your fellow Americans.

[quote name='chibamm']That's some bad karma there.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe he lives clean enough of a life where he doesnt feel guilty and need to do this to feel good about himself. Most of the money you donate to Red Cross will not even make it to Haiti. There are cities in our own backyard who are just as bad off that any donations would be better off going towards. And in the end Most of Haiti that we are supposed to feel bad for wasnt exactly a great place to live before the quake.

If you really want to help out someone go help feed or clothe some local homeless or something near by. Sure you wont be able to sound as "cool" when you brag about how you did something good, but thats not what it should be about.

Hati is getting tons of money from governments all over the world. I hope the money actually makes it to the people and not the ruling class like it has been for a long time.

Yes. Let's speak about how terrible it is to spend money for victims of natural disasters from our warm homes on our nice computers while we waste all that energy not worrying about clothing, shelter, and food. Let's also indirectly shit on the people who are "stupid" enough to donate to such causes, being the selfserving jerks they are, because they aren't helping other people in some intangible "cool" manner like only the internets can decide.

I used to donate money when it was still underground and alternative, man. Now everyone does it. And that is like, totally selling out, man.

[quote name='Strell']Yes. Let's speak about how terrible it is to spend money for victims of natural disasters from our warm homes on our nice computers while we waste all that energy not worrying about clothing, shelter, and food. Let's also indirectly shit on the people who are "stupid" enough to donate to such causes, being the selfserving jerks they are, because they aren't helping other people in some intangible "cool" manner like only the internets can decide.

I used to donate money when it was still underground and alternative, man. Now everyone does it. And that is like, totally selling out, man.[/QUOTE]

Victims of natural disasters? Are you one of them people that will build a brick (or concrete block) house on a fault line and then blame nature or bad luck when the earthquake inevitably occurs and that house falls apart? Has your mommy never read to you a story called "three little pigs"? They have brought this disaster upon themselves.

Why should we help them when they won't even help themselves? Do you have any idea how much bloodshed is taking place there? How much murder and crime? Guess who will receive most of the aid that will actually make it there. I'll tell you who - the powerful. The ones who need it the least. You expect the powerful Haitians to care about the unfortunate as much as you do, but that is very naive. Even if some poor family actually gets some money they will be robbed and killed.

Noone said it was terrible to help others. Only that it was stupid to send money to Haiti when we have so many financial problems and people in need of aid in our own country. Btw, your rant fails. It's way too melodramatic, righteous, and disconnected from reality.

Yep, this thread definitely reminds of why I hate the internet and 99.9% of people posting on it.

The people bitching about needing to help people in our own country rather than victims of a natural disaster, probably don't donate or volunteer to either cause. They probably spend money buying yet another game they don't need to add to their backlog of shit they'll never play rather than making any kind of regular donations. And yet hop on line and bitch at people donating to help people in tragedies in other countries.

While those of us who made donations to Haiti probably also donate and/or volunteer locally. I certainly do.

As for the notion that it's the Haitians fault. What a load of shit. You could say that much more truthfully about the poor and disadvantaged in the US. The US is the country with the greatest opportunities to advance yourself in the world. People in certain areas certainly have more obstacles to overcome, but nonetheless everyone has a chance to get a free K-12 education. And pretty much anyone who does well there can go to college with a combination of grants, scholarships and loans--the balance of those determined by parents income and your performance in school.

The vast majority of the poor, homeless etc. are in that situation because of poor decisions they have made throughout their lives. Be it dropping out of school, or not going to college or learning a skilled trade, or getting hooked on alcohol or drugs, or having children at a young age and/or before having financial security etc. etc. So buy that token they didn't want to help themselves and we shouldn't help them either according to Teh Nitwit's logic.

That's just absurd, and all I can say is Teh Nitwit certainly lives up to his user name. I'll continue to donate to natural disaster victims both in the US and abroad and will continue to donate to local charities in my city.

I don't do it to feel good about myself, or even for tax purposes (I've yet to claim any donations on my taxes), but because I think it's an obligation of those of us in a position to have disposable income to help out those less fortunate.

I'm not ethnocentric, so I feel no obligation to help people in the US more than in other countries. A disadvantaged person in the US isn't in any more need, or any more deserving, of my help than a disadvantaged person in any other country.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep, this thread definitely reminds of why I hate the internet and 99.9% of people posting on it.[/QUOTE]

I love it how you say you hate 99.9% of people posting on the internet. Do you think the people who post on the internet are very different from everyone else?:lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']The people bitching about needing to help people in our own country rather than victims of a natural disaster, probably don't donate or volunteer to either cause. They probably spend money buying yet another game they don't need to add to their backlog of shit they'll never play rather than making any kind of regular donations. And yet hop on line and bitch at people donating to help people in tragedies in other countries.

While those of us who made donations to Haiti probably also donate and/or volunteer locally. I certainly do.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how whether I donate or not has any bearing on the validity of any points I made. That stuff you wrote is just an indoctrination-induced rant, lacking any substance. I also love how righteous you are. You're definitely going to heaven.

[quote name='dmaul1114']As for the notion that it's the Haitians fault. What a load of shit. You could say that much more truthfully about the poor and disadvantaged in the US. The US is the country with the greatest opportunities to advance yourself in the world. People in certain areas certainly have more obstacles to overcome, but nonetheless everyone has a chance to get a free K-12 education. And pretty much anyone who does well there can go to college with a combination of grants, scholarships and loans--the balance of those determined by parents income and your performance in school.

The vast majority of the poor, homeless etc. are in that situation because of poor decisions they have made throughout their lives. Be it dropping out of school, or not going to college or learning a skilled trade, or getting hooked on alcohol or drugs, or having children at a young age and/or before having financial security etc. etc. So buy that token they didn't want to help themselves and we shouldn't help them either according to Teh Nitwit's logic.[/QUOTE]

This is a land of opportunity? Are you insane? Are you even living in the US? How many college graduates can't find jobs? How many professionals were laid off just recently? Decent school is expensive and jobs are leaving this country. Yeah, things are very rosy here, idiot. You totally demonstrated your ignorance with this post.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's just absurd, and all I can say is Teh Nitwit certainly lives up to his user name. I'll continue to donate to natural disaster victims both in the US and abroad and will continue to donate to local charities in my city.

I don't do it to feel good about myself, or even for tax purposes (I've yet to claim any donations on my taxes), but because I think it's an obligation of those of us in a position to have disposable income to help out those less fortunate.

I'm not ethnocentric, so I feel no obligation to help people in the US more than in other countries. A disadvantaged person in the US isn't in any more need, or any more deserving, of my help than a disadvantaged person in any other country.[/QUOTE]

I guess my point that your money will not reach those who actually need it was lost on you. I guess you were too busy ranging in your righteous fury to pay attention to that little detail. Haiti has one of the most corrupt governments in the world. Ever since they gained independence they had nothing but conflict and civil wars. NATO has been there for years, trying to help keep the place stable. You show your arrogance believing you can help Haitians. It implies that you believe you have this power. The truth is you cannot help them and your money will only compound the problem. It will go to the crime lords and gangs.

You can not help them. They need to help themselves.

Btw, I think the 200,000 Haitians lost in the Earthquake is not a tragedy. This planet is fast becoming overcrowded and Haiti has the highest fertility rate in the Western Hemisphere. Those 200,000 will be replaced in no time.

Oh, I get it. Everyone who ever had a natural disaster was asking for it, arrogantly taunting death. That's a great argument.

You're a smarmy little brat with no sense of the world. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I love it how you say you hate 99.9% of people posting on the internet. Do you think the people who post on the internet are very different from everyone else?:lol:[/quote]

The internet brings out the worst of the worst of people. People with no social life pop up, normal people turn into complete assholes with the audience and anonymity (see the internet fuckwad theory etc.).

So yes, the people posting on the internet are worse that what I run into in daily life. Especially since I sought a job in academia specifically to be able to sit in my figurative ivory tower away from the undereducated and unwashed masses. But even with that disdain, I'm still happy to donate to help them better themselves.

I don't see how whether I donate or not has any bearing on the validity of any points I made.

You're ranting that people should be donating domestically rather than giving to foreign aid. That's a fine stance, even if I disagree with it, but a pretty weak one if you're not donating or volunteering yourself. Need to put your money where your mouth is if you want your opinion to have any substance.

That stuff you wrote is just an indoctrination-induced rant, lacking any substance. I also love how righteous you are. You're definitely going to heaven.

Plenty of substance to my rant. The point is we should all strive to take care of our fellow human beings, regardless of what country the reside, the color of their skin, their religious beliefs etc. One's not much of a humanitarian if they only care for people like them. And even less so if they rant against others giving aid to foreign countries, when they don't help out domesticall themselves.

This is a land of opportunity? Are you insane? Are you even living in the US? How many college graduates can't find jobs? How many professionals were laid off just recently? Decent school is expensive and jobs are leaving this country. Yeah, things are very rosy here, idiot. You totally demonstrated your ignorance with this post.

No you're demonstrating your ignorance and ethnocentrism. Yes things are tougher than usual currently in the US. But people here still have VASTLY more opportunities than people in a third world country like Haiti have EVER had. Even in a near depression, things here are infinitely better than in third world countries.

And even those struggling who can't find jobs etc. can get unemployment, welfare, foodstamps etc. People in the US don't realize how good they have it compared to people in most of the rest of the world. Our poorest are better off than the middle class in many third world countries.

I guess my point that your money will not reach those who actually need it was lost on you. I guess you were too busy ranging in your righteous fury to pay attention to that little detail.

That's why you donate to organizations that are sending people and supplies and delivering them themselves, with the help of the US government etc., and not to places that will just pass the cash on to Haiti.

Donate to something like the Red Cross that is sending people to dig out people trapped, sending doctors to aid in the urgent need for medical care, food and water etc. Or find smaller organizations doing the same type of stuff.

Btw, I think the 200,000 Haitians lost in the Earthquake is not a tragedy. This planet is fast becoming overcrowded and Haiti has the highest fertility rate in the Western Hemisphere. Those 200,000 will be replaced in no time.

That's one of the coldest and most thoughtless things I've ever read. It takes a real sorry excuse for a human being to so callously disregard the deaths of 200,000 people.

But like I said, the internet brings out the worst social rejects in society. And all I can say is that karma is a bitch and you'll get yours (and hopefully sooner rather than later). Ignore list +1.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Oh, I get it. Everyone who ever had a natural disaster was asking for it, arrogantly taunting death. That's a great argument.

You're a smarmy little brat with no sense of the world. Keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

What he said. You definitely sound like a spoiled little bitch.

[quote name='docvinh']What he said. You definitely sound like a spoiled little bitch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really don't get it.

I'd never go around belittling people who don't donate, at most I'd pass along links/ways to donate and leave it at that--just like the OP of this thread did.

So it just baffles me to see people bashing people who donate and trying to encourage people not to donate etc. Especially to come in and troll with that garbage in a thread like this.

[quote name='Strell']Oh, I get it. Everyone who ever had a natural disaster was asking for it, arrogantly taunting death. That's a great argument.

You're a smarmy little brat with no sense of the world. Keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

Don't put words in my mouth. Certain regions of the world are susceptible to certain types of natural disasters and by living in that region you accept the associated risk. People should take responsibility for their decisions. Why should I pay for the losses they've suffered as a consequence of the risks they took? I might as well cancel my insurance coverage and if I get sick expect the society to cover the costs.

[quote name='dmaul1114']But even with that disdain, I'm still happy to donate to help them better themselves.[/QUOTE]

Fool! What incentive do they have for bettering themselves if they just get money from you?! You contribute to the problem by making them dependent on you instead of themselves.

[quote name='Strell']Even in a near depression, things here are infinitely better than in third world countries.[/QUOTE]

If their living conditions are so bad, then maybe they should concentrate on improving them instead of making babies.

[quote name='Strell']That's one of the coldest and most thoughtless things I've ever read. It takes a real sorry excuse for a human being to so callously disregard the deaths of 200,000 people.[/QUOTE]

People are dying all the time. Disease kills many more than "natural disasters". Do you have enough sympathy in you to feel for everyone in the world currently suffering from the loss of a loved one? Do you have enough money to "ease their pain"?

If not, then why feel for Haiti and make them feel better with donations? Donating money to individuals makes no sense. What Haitians need is to get their shit together and start cooperating. They live in a GREAT part of the world, close to the USA. If they got some stability in there the place would be a paradise, full of hotels (its proximity to US would help there) and foreign investment.

It's noone's fault but their own that they're a third world country. Except your and people like you, who encourage their status quo with "aid".

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Don't put words in my mouth. Certain regions of the world are susceptible to certain types of natural disasters and by living in that region you accept the associated risk. People should take responsibility for their decisions.

It's noone's fault but their own that they're a third world country. Except your and people like you, who encourage their status quo with "aid".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's their fault they were born there! They should do something about it, like, not be born there! Since they decided to be born there, we should punish them by not helping at all! Who the fuck are you man?

[quote name='docvinh']Yeah, it's their fault they were born there! They should do something about it, like, not be born there! Since they decided to be born there, we should punish them by not helping at all! Who the fuck are you man?[/QUOTE]

Really. They can't help where they are born. The economy sucks and they have very little opportunity to better themselves there, and can't simply walk across the border to a better nation since they're on a fucking island. And the US is opposed to taking economic refugees, as are most other developed countries, so they're pretty much stuck with not much they can do to better their lot in life.

On top of that, the country just got flattened by a major earthquake, and the country doesn't have the resources to save people and rebuild on their own. So without aid Haitains will be even worse off and have even less opportunities to escape a life of abject poverty that the already slim chances they had before.

Nothing you can really do but shrug off moronic, myopic, self-centered, ethnocentric views like those he's espousing. That and hope there's a big double decker bus named Karma out there with his name on the grill.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That and hope there's a big double decker bus named Karma out there with his name on the grill.[/QUOTE]

This is the second time you wished that I come to harm. Why? Just because you don't agree with the way I think. I may not have much sympathy for Haitians, but you're downright evil. Welcome to my ignore list, righteous psycho.

docvinh, what they could do is build light buildings.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']This is the second time you wished that I come to harm. Why? Just because you don't agree with the way I think. I may not have much sympathy for Haitians, but you're downright evil. Welcome to my ignore list, righteous psycho.
[/quote]

Just my harsh way of saying that what comes around, goes around. When you show such callous disregard for other people's tragedy, you're just asking for bad shit to happen to you and yours.

I have little patience for people not sympathetic towards others, especially ethnocentric jackoffs, so I won't apologize for being a dick as I have no tolerance for people who don't care for others/others different from them.

And ignore plus 1 for you as well, for real this time, got a phone call before and forgot to do it.

docvinh, what they could do is build light buildings.

What, so they may not get damaged quite as much by an earthquake but get flattened by hurricanes? And it's one of the poorest countries in the world, how are they supposed to build houses that can better survive earthquakes and hurricanes without foreign aid?

As other's have said, you have no idea how the world works and can't see anything other than your myopic--"Go,go USA! Every man for himself! fuck the poor! fuck the rest of the world!" world view. People like you are why people rightly hate the US and US culture.

This thread is like a Hoekstra meme in reverse.

"200,000 people died in Haiti and I still can't find a good cappuccino!"

[quote name='FroMann']Just donate thru text message.[/QUOTE]

what are the odds they will sell our phone numbers to spam.... that is another problem i see with these text programs

also has anyone found out what % goes to the people ..... should be 100% i dont see why these places are taking a cut of the money

The Red Cross isn't going to sell your number to spam.

If you're uncomfortable with the text message, you can donate online at redcross.org.

Any charitable organization is going to take some of the money--they're non-profits but still have to bring in funds to support their day to day operations. The employees aren't working for free, and there's still various operating costs with printings and mailing, utility bills, travel costs/shipping costs to get workers and supplies to areas where they are needed etc. that they have to pay to be able to do their charitable work.

So in short, for a reputable organization, 100% of your donation is going toward doing charitable work. It's not all going "to the people", as some of it has to go towards salaries and other expenses the organization has to pay in carrying out their charitable mission.

FYI, per the Red Cross's website, 92 cents of every dollar donated goes to humanitarian services and programs. Also, UNICEF's site currently claims that 100% of current donations will be used to save children's lives. So that's another option for you. Of course there are tons and tons of other options out there that you can search for and read up on yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EarthBound Sucks'](Note: No sarcasm from this post!)[/QUOTE]

Nope. But there is massive idiocy in that post.

[quote name='slidecage']i would give ONLY If i knew it would go to the people and not to the prez to rebuild this house ...[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.:applause::applause::applause:

But I also have to agree with EarthBound Sucks too. Help OUR people in OUR country first and let the rest of the (third) world come wayyyyyy after.

Don't get me wrong, it's a tragedy, but our country has people in need as well.

bread's done
Back