How to improve download speeds?

spcheap

CAGiversary!
For some reason my PS3 only gets 956 kbps/sec
my computer gets around 8400 kbps/sec

Please help! Would like to get up there, demos and patches take a very long time.

wireless yes, wired is not an option.
I remember seeing I am type 2 when I did a test, so I think I am good there.

What router do you specifically have? If compatible, you can run Tomato firmware for your wireless router.

Also, I have no idea why people bash wireless connections. It's not the fucking 90s where wireless automatically means RF. The PS3 is compatible with wireless G, which I think is more than enough to handle online gaming.

Make sure you're either have UPnP enabled or have the IP address of the PS3 set to DMZ. Other than that, not much you can really do, than do a hard reset and hope it kick starts your connection.

Though I've noticed my computer is capable of higher dl speeds. Me thinks it's the PSN just sucking hard. Just because your connection is capable of high speeds doesn't mean the server you're dling from can upload at those speeds (esp. considering multiple leechers).

Don't download when the store updates. I tried that yesterday and got like 200 KB/sec. When I downloaded today afternoon, I got around 1 MB/sec.

My PS3 downloads have always been slow...have 15mps internet and Nat Type 1....my xbox 360 on the same wireless network downloads twice as fast easily sometimes.....i thought it was a known thing that PSN is slow?

you can't take the data any faster than they send it, you're getting around 1 Mb/s which isn't too bad -- think about how many people are DLing from them and how much data they have to send out, it could be faster but it's definitely not bad

Yea, it's the PSN. Same size files downloads say around 500 mb in five minutes on the xbox, but will take an hour or usually more. Also downloads on Thursday and Friday are slow because of the update, try downloading on a Monday or something and you'll notice a speed increase.

Also, to add to that check the time you are trying to download items. If it's mid day of course it'll be busy but try around midnight or there after. I just leave my ps3 downloading and have it shut off after the downloads are done. It's a sweet feature..

If possible, just download stuff when you go to sleep, and click the "turn system off after completed downloads." You won't even have to worry about waiting for things to download.

[quote name='Jmclark']If possible, just download stuff when you go to sleep, and click the "turn system off after completed downloads." You won't even have to worry about waiting for things to download.[/QUOTE]

this is what I like to do. or while i'm eating a meal.

[quote name='option.iv']What router do you specifically have? If compatible, you can run Tomato firmware for your wireless router.

Also, I have no idea why people bash wireless connections. It's not the fucking 90s where wireless automatically means RF. The PS3 is compatible with wireless G, which I think is more than enough to handle online gaming.

Make sure you're either have UPnP enabled or have the IP address of the PS3 set to DMZ. Other than that, not much you can really do, than do a hard reset and hope it kick starts your connection.

Though I've noticed my computer is capable of higher dl speeds. Me thinks it's the PSN just sucking hard. Just because your connection is capable of high speeds doesn't mean the server you're dling from can upload at those speeds (esp. considering multiple leechers).[/QUOTE]

Ask anyone in networking what they would rather have if they needed to guarantee speed - wired or wireless. Guess which one wins? That's why wireless gets bashed. Sure wireless is capable, but so is a 10mb hub for that matter - if it is the only thing plugged in. Wireless is similar in the fact that it can become saturated - and I'll leave out the potential for any interference. I'll also leave out the fact that neighbors could be using the same (default) wireless channel. Try changing that if you have it on 6 - which is the default for a number of devices.

I do agree that the PSN network has issues at times, but if someone needs to guarantee better speeds, spend the money and get a 100ft ethernet cable (or two with a coupler) and string a connection when necessary. That or figure out how to get your PS3 closer to your router OR get a better (more powerful) wireless router.

[quote name='nbballard']have you tried closing your facebook farm? My wife plays those damned games, and it always gets me booted from severs.[/QUOTE]

Oh, geez. I have a friend who has one and I keep getting an insane number of updates from her through the game. My girlfriend just got convinced to play, too. The humanity!

edit: I've had weird problems with wireless in the past. My ps3 is about 15 feet away from my Linksys 160N router and it had a problem keeping a consistent connection and it has direct line of sight, but my laptop/psp and my girlfriend's netbook have no problems staying connected. It is a mystery!

bread's done
Back