How to keep your computer clean - FREE

Assasin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Requirements
http://www.filehippo.com/software/system_tuning - Scroll down and choose CCleaner
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-...oads&tg=dl-20&query=superantispyware&tag=srch - Get the Free Edition
http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10399602.html?tag=lst-0-1 - Ad-Aware
http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage - Get the most current free one

CClean
1. Run cclean. You are going to have to close this browser during the scan, so make sure it's bookmarked.
2. When cclean is open, click ANALYZE
3. When its done analyzing, it will show you how much of your computer it will clean in the window.
4. Click RUN CLEANER
5. When it finishes, it will tell you how much it cleaned out. Your done!

Now that you've done the cleaner part of this program, time to use the ISSUES part.
1. On the left side you will see buttons and one is labeled as ISSUES, click that.
2. Click ANAYLYZE
3. When it's done analyzing, choose FIX SELECTED ISSUES.
4. You are done. I suggest restarting now and resuming on the next part of this tutorial.

SuperAntiSpyware
1. Run SuperAntiSpyware
2. Check for UPDATES
3. Click Scan Your computer (the upper left option)
4. If this is your first time running this, I would do a full system scan, so choose PERFORM COMPLETE SCAN
5. It will scan your processes, registry, and files.
6. When finished scanning, it will tell you how many threats you have. Remove them all.

I would suggest restarting your computer at this point (if it asks you to restart, do so)

Ad-Aware
1. Run Ad-Aware
2. Check for UPDATES
3. Click START in the bottom right
4. Again, I would PERFORM FULL SYSTEM SCAN
5. It will scan your processes, registry, and files.
6. Hopefully with running SuperAntiSpyware you will not detect anything. Click NEXT in the bottm right.
7. Make sure the malicious files are selected. No need to click the MRU List.
8. Click Next, and it will quarantine the objects. Then Click OK.

AVG Free
1. Run AVG Free Edition for Windows throught Start menu>All Programs
2. Check for UPDATES
3. Click SCAN COMPUTER
4. When done scanning, it will let you know if you have any virus/threats
5. If you have any threats, be sure to remove or quarantine it.

When finished with the scan and clean, I would suggest running CClean again.

Extras
1. Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>Disc Cleanup
2. Check everything you can on there, unless you are running MS Office, then its your choice whether to keep the office files or not.
3. Let it clean up

More
1. Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>Disk Defragment
2. Analyze your drive
3. Defrag your drive

After it is done defragging, restart your computer.

Yes, very good guide... but I would say instead of AVG go with another free AV such as Avira (http://www.free-av.com/) or Microsoft Security Essentials (free with any legitimate copy of Windows, google for it). Both do as good or even better of a job of finding threats as AVG, but your pc's performance will take much less of a hit when running it.

Want to know how to keep your pc clean the easier way?

1- Run ccleaner every couple weeks. Its free to use.

2- Use AVG as your antivirus and keep it up to date and run it every couple weeks making sure in scan settings it searchs everywhere for everything. I use the free version.

3- When you install stuff pay attention to the options do you dont install crap software addons you dont need. Dont install toolbar shit for your browser, dont install shit like weatherbug or any of that other crap.

4- Keep your windows firewall turned on.

5- Most importantly: Use some common sense when browsing the net and downloading stuff.

Thats it. No need to download and run all that useless shit. The best way to keep your pc clean is to use your head when your doing stuff.

Ive been using those 5 steps for say the past 5 years and had exactly 2 viruses (both of which were my own fault because I ignored rule number 5). I download roms, use torrent sites, occasionally p2p stuff, visit backwater websites and so on and been perfectly fine.

Rule number 5 will save your ass more than any piece of software will.

I stopped using AdAware because it was just getting too bogged down and taking forever with scans. Just use Malwarebytes instead.

I know your trying to score points since your new but putting up these "guides" is kind of pretentious and time wasting. Your not telling anyone here anything they dont already know.

If people want real pc tips then they can go to the pro's at maximumpc.com

Well some people don't know and some people do. I don't mind wasting my time as long as some people are able to benefit from this.

I prefer Malware Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials to the three anti-malware programs you've listed. Malware Bytes is the best program I've ever used in removing malware from an infected PC.

[quote name='gargus']I know your trying to score points since your new but putting up these "guides" is kind of pretentious and time wasting. Your not telling anyone here anything they dont already know.

If people want real pc tips then they can go to the pro's at maximumpc.com[/QUOTE]
:roll:

Who are you to tell someone what they can or can't spend their time posting on here? You don't speak for anyone on this site. Just because something isn't helpful to you doesn't mean it's not helpful to others. Quit trying to play moderator. You aren't one.

This looks like a spam guide.

Anyway, I just use Firefox (Pale Moon, specifically), the Firefox add-on NoScript, and I don't do stupid crap on the internet to put myself in a position to get viruses and spyware. It's been serving me well for years. I don't use any antivirus and antispyware software.

[quote name='Altanis']AVG and Ad-Aware? This isn't 2005.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Also CC Cleaner is all well and good, but you need ATF-Cleaner as well.

bread's done
Back