How to Kill a Mockingbird...seriously...

blackjaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
So I have a mockingbird that comes and lives in the gigantic bush outside of my apartment window every year around April. Here is the problem: he "sings" from 10pm-6am EVERYNIGHT!

What can I do for this problem? Last year I threatened to get airsoft guns to knock him out, threatened to burn the bush down, I even tied a piece of fishing line to the bush and tugged on it from my window every time he chirped.

Supposedly these are protected birds and you cant kill them, but if you call animal management or something they try to displace them but there is a long wait to even get them to come visit you (plus the bird has to be present and all that stuff).

Anybody have this problem? Mockingbirds are probably the most annoying bird I have ever heard....pretty much they change their song every 5 seconds and do it over and over and over again to try and lure other birds out of their nests to destroy their eggs. UGH.

Get a cat. While you can't do anything because they are "protected," you certainly can't control what happens if your cat slips out of the house and wanders in the birds direction.

Fake owl statue thing?

Also, I really like how the google banner ad is for a place that sells bird's nests as a delicacy.

[quote name='Strell']Fake owl statue thing?

Also, I really like how the google banner ad is for a place that sells bird's nests as a delicacy.[/QUOTE]naturalnests.com rocks!

you've just given me a great idea on how to buy time machine!!

Maybe you could Scout around the internet for some ideas? Maybe if you yelled "Boo" really loud it might leave? umm... Maybe you could throw Dill pickles at it? Ok, I'm out of ideas here...

There was an idea I got from a book a hell of a long time ago called "Danny, the champion of the world". Anyway they had to protect all these grouse and were brainstorming ideas on how to do it. They knew that the birds loved grapes and decided that the best way to protect the grouse would be to have them be zonked out. So, what they did was dissolve a lot of sleeping powder into a sinkful of water then soak the grapes overnight so that the grapes would put the birds to sleep after being eaten.

My advice would be to do something like that, then put the bird in a cage and bring it to an animal shelter or some such.

And just because it's protected doesn't mean you can't kill it. Bill Clinton made a damn fly endangered and I'll be damned if I'm not going to kill a fly.

Poisen works. Do you have any old pesticide around? Cloridane (sp?) works best, it killed everything... literally... it stays in the groundfor a year or so and kills anything near it.

Plan and set up an elaborate trap, then lie in wait for the evil bird to return. Nah, don't hurt it, just try and capture it.. then take it to animal services or whatever.

Easier said than done, of course.

It's kind of hard to kill the bird because I live in an apartment and hard to cut the bush down as the bush is about 40 foot tall and out of control. I have a cat who sits in the window, but he is too fat to go run outside...probably would get tired and come back indoors to chew on my wires. I lol'd about the priest idea..haha.

I'm still thinking about the airsoft gun idea and possibly going out today and finding the nest and crushing it. Last night he stopped singing right around 2am and flew off elsewhere, so I think he might be gone for now (we will see tonight).

Thanks for all the ideas and support in this predicament. Haha

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Plan and set up an elaborate trap, then lie in wait for the evil bird to return. Nah, don't hurt it, just try and capture it.. then take it to animal services or whatever.

Easier said than done, of course.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, it's not that easy to do, however, it's something to do while being kept awake in the middle of the night because of the damned bird. Not to mention you're not killing the animal which is against the law.

After a little research, there's apparently about 4.5 million of them in the US. Losing one more isn't going to hurt anyone.

I vote tazer.

[quote name='blackjaw']It's kind of hard to kill the bird because I live in an apartment and hard to cut the bush down as the bush is about 40 foot tall and out of control. [/QUOTE]

a 40 foot tall bush?

[quote name='Milkyman']a 40 foot tall bush?[/QUOTE]

Probably more like 15-20 foot...haha.

I mean, its not like a common bush...I dont know how to describe it...it's more of a big bundle of branches and stuff.

I'll have to take a picture of it.

bread's done
Back